My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one of those cheap sand blasters to attempt cleaning rust from old gravely parts, rims and attachments. I haven't used it yet but would love to hear about experiences anyone else has had. For instance, can you sand blast rims still on the tires. How do you contain your sandblasing media and any number of other topics related to sandblasting in preparation for painting.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Safety first. Use a real dust mask with valve. Use a sandblasting hood or old welding mask long sleeves and gloves. Buy a dozen clear cover lenses and remove the welding lens.
I sandblast on a big tarp. used to use old sheets. Save the sand and strain it.
If yours is not a pressure pot type, but just a suction type make sure the vent hole in the tube coming out of the hopper is uncovered by the hose.
Sand blasting won't hurt the tires at all. I blast the rims with the tires on them all the time.
After a half hour or so, take a break and let your compressor do the same.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Blast cabinet for small items. Pressure pot for real big items ( I.E. railroad car ). Syphon blaster for medium size objects.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts

·
22,321 Posts
Sorry, I messed up the link. I fixed it in the post above. It will work now.

·
Good Times!
236 Posts
Here's a blast box I made just for doing gravely pieces. It works well and is very fast. I'm using this 40 Lb. Pressurized Abrasive Blaster http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-34202.html from HF and I wired lights and a shop vac to keep the dust contained. I wanted a unit big enough to clean up gravely hoods easily and fast and get them primed asap.

I'm actually thinking of selling my whole set up, compressor, blast and box because we're probably moving soon and I have so much to move as it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a blast box I made just for doing gravely pieces. It works well and is very fast. I'm using this 40 Lb. Pressurized Abrasive Blaster http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-34202.html from HF and I wired lights and a shop vac to keep the dust contained. I wanted a unit big enough to clean up gravely hoods easily and fast and get them primed asap.

I'm actually thinking of selling my whole set up, compressor, blast and box because we're probably moving soon and I have so much to move as it is.
That's where I got mine sand blaster. Its looks just like yours but holds 80 lbs. I'm glad to hear it worke ok for you. Is there any other media that is cheaper than the stuff you get at harbor freight? For instance, can you use that play sand that is in bags?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have the same blaster. Never had luck with play sand. It has dirt in it that will plug the small nosal and the sand is sometimes damp. Some place leave play sand out side one time or another. I use extra fine black beauty.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Tractor supply has blasting media for around $8.00 per 50Lb. bag. Also if you have a Mason (bricklayer) Supply local they have blast media in 100 Lb. bags.
If you want to do some large stuff quick, consider a water jet sand blaster. You need a 2500psi pressure washer, and its a siphon feed gun. Advantage: NO dust, and very little blastback in the face, good for a whole tractor. Disadvantage: Everything gets wet, including you. You must spray all your blasted parts with WD40 afterwards or they will "flash rust" overnite. I got my water blaster from Northerntool for about $60.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the same blaster. Never had luck with play sand. It has dirt in it that will plug the small nosal and the sand is sometimes damp. Some place leave play sand out side one time or another. I use extra fine black beauty.
What's black beauty?

·
22,321 Posts
Speaking of baking soda, we have an old covered bridge in the area that had been hit with some spray paint vandalism and a well meaning citizen painted over it. The trouble is that the bridge is stained, not painted, so it needed to come off.

Well, the boss and I called in a blaster using baking soda. The soda took off both layers of paint and the stain too, but, didn't hurt the lumber at all. It even worked very well on the spray paint that was put on the concrete abutments and the creek rock.

Soda worked great, quickly, and cheaply!

·
Tractor Fixin
24 Posts
I have a suction type sand blaster, but you need a pretty good compressor to keep at it for very long, and an even better one if you dont take a break every few minutes to let her cool down some. I have had luck with play sand myself. I may have strained it through some window screen or something. Gotta put on the heavy clothing and face shield etc... Sand will bounce back off and even at a slower speed will eat away on whatever you have exposed. Outch!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts