My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone seen one of these before?

On sams bolens website this picture was taken by someone and I am curious to what model and what year this bolens was. I have never seen one of these before so If anyone knows more info about it.............
-Brian

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Looks like somewhere between the ride-a-matic and the 600.
Around 1960 somewhere?

·
Gearhead
878 Posts
I have one of them in my garage. They were made by Bolens and sold by Montgomery Ward. It's obviously a tubeframe, so that makes it newer than 55. I was doing some research and there is a gap between Gilson and Simplicity supplying Wards with tractors right around 65 if I remember right. Judging by mine, it's a 600 with different tin.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a cool tractor to have. I take it not many of them were reproduced.
Seems like a rare tractor. Wish I had one

·
Gearhead
878 Posts
They do seem to be rare. I've seen pictures of two, and heard of a couple others. Mine is the only one I've seen in person. They probably stay in hiding because they don't say Bolens anywhere on them. Wards labled them as "Squire".

By the way, I got mine for fifty bucks on Ebay. :bannana: It's rough, but restorable.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I thought the M/W Garden tractors were made by Simplicity from the 30's through the 60's, and by Gilson in the 70's? During what period did Bolens make tractors for M/W?

·
Gearhead
878 Posts
It would be somewhere in the mid-sixties. My opinion is that it was probably just one year. According to simple tractors, Simplicity's deal with Wards ended somewhere around 1965. I think Wards was probably shopping around for someone to take their place. Of course, Gilson was their final choice. This is just my theory, and I have nothing to back it up with. The tractor I have definately fits in the mid-sixties though.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The thing that makes me think it is from the 60's is the Tube frame it has, they were manufactured in the 60's

·
Young Buck
1,611 Posts
it would have to be after the ride-a-matic series because it has a shaft drive not a versa-matic clutch to chain with a gear reduction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts