Discussion Starter #1
anyone into axes I have a few I prefer vintage
one on the left has been in my family for 80 years

true temper boys axe I just hung and finished with mask

Harbor freight fireman's hatchet I modified just a winter project

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
I got a few. Couple Keen Kutter broadaxes, one Keen Kutter splitting axe not pictured, Plumb and GI hatchets, all steel railroad hatchet. My top tomahawk only has a dancing bear stamped on it. No idea what brand it is.

Attachments

·
Collector of many tractors
15,248 Posts
I stop in at our local junkyard and I find a good heads every so often and I take them home and make new handles for them. This is the neatest one I found so far. No idea what it was used for...

Attachments

·
15,000 +posts!
19,694 Posts
I have a few old ones we inherited from an uncle,but they are likely just store bought Sears or some other department or hardware store brand..still use them to split wood in the cellar when a lot is too thick to fit in the stove,but I don't use them "hard" or extensively..for sentimental sake..

I do have quite a few hatchets ,but again I doubt any are "special"--I got a few from a late friend who had them painted up and displayed on the front of his garage ,along with a giant two man saw --I didn't get the saw,just a few hatchets ,and some other heads of them he never got to make or buy new handles for..

Most of the hatchets are "roofing" hatchets with wide broad heads and the nail puller slot and hammer head on the opposite end..I have a few all steel hatchets ,one is an Irwin,the others I'm not sure what brand they are..

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Liked hatchets as a kid. They are ok now as long as you don't buy in to the new axe throwing fad!! Irks me.... Let's go out and drink and throw axes!!
I guess it ticks me off because I know they have some company writing them an insurance policy and I have been dealing with commercial insurance companies for 25 years and they are so picky and safety freakish BUT SOMEONE is writing these businesses a policy!

Makes me feel like I should get my policies for $50 a year!!!

·
never too old to learn
354 Posts
Good timing on posting your nice collection. I was over at my brother’s house on the 8th and picked up a couple of items shown among the ones below: The double bit axe was my dad’s and I saved it along with the loose head from ending up in an upcoming yard sale. There are other heads over with rounded bits there that my dad had saved but I passed on... for now.

The other items I’ve had here. The axe with red tape I use for chopping stumps and roots. The hatchets were my grandfather’s; the head with rotted handle was just re-discovered along with a pry bar out at the edge of my lawn. The Fiskars maul and Husky 3.5# axe are for tree work.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts