My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The muffler rattles and sounds horrible on our recently purchased low hour DGT6000. It has the 27HP Kohler Command engine on it.

I notice a lot of other style mufflers for the Commands on Ebay, along with some of the older style ones that ran a real looking muffler along the framerail like the older Kohler GT6000s were.

So does anything else fit and function better, or should I just bite the bullet and get another one that tucks down inside the front frame?

Thanks for any thoughts!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would check out the heat shield(s) around the muffler as they have a tendency to touch the muffler and rattle. You may be able to just bend the shield a bit to stop the racket.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the idea. I checked it all over and the problem is inside the muffler. I'm guessing a baffle is broke loose or something like that.

Has any one replaced a muffler on one of these tractors? I sure like the way the Command engines sound on higher end machines, this one sounds terrible.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,559 Posts
The baffles on my 20 HP Kohler Magnum rattled like crazy and drove me batty for years,but I resisted changing the muffler because it wasn't rusted and I envisioned problems getting the bolts out without having them snap off in the block...
I put a long self tapping screw into one of the exhaust holes punched in the muffler and tightened it up against the baffles,and for a few years its been nice and quiet..I thought the muffler was noisy till I silenced the rattling baffles,actually its pretty quiet once the rattling banshee noise stopped!..

·
Banned
2 Posts
The baffles on my 20 HP Kohler Magnum rattled like crazy and drove me batty for years,but I resisted changing the muffler because it wasn't rusted and I envisioned problems getting the bolts out without having them snap off in the block...
I put a long self tapping screw into one of the exhaust holes punched in the muffler and tightened it up against the baffles,and for a few years its been nice and quiet..I thought the muffler was noisy till I silenced the rattling baffles,actually its pretty quiet once the rattling banshee noise stopped!..

good idea i have one doing that also ..And like you i do not want to fight with them darn bolts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to update this-

I pulled the muffler off to investigate, and sure enough, the baffle in the bottom was loose. There was also some jingling noises when I shook it. I shook it, twisted it, turned it over, shook some more.. all until I got the two pieces out. It was the two small chunks of spot welded metal that used to hold the baffle in place. I then drilled two new holes and ran self tapping screws in to wedge the baffle back in place. No more rattle and no restriction because of it, but its still somewhat loud because of the internal damage. I'm in the country and can live with the noise.

Just wanted to share the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts