My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put it into a search on here and got nothing. I'm shocked!! lol

I'm doing some trading and I will own one soon,,with a blower attachment.

I don't know much about it other than it has a 16hp Kohler magnum on it. That needs some work,,of course.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,,, I am the owner of this now. Looks like a well built machine. Heavy duty,,I think I will like it.

Does anyone chase their tail like me?? lol

Have a good tractor for sale,,with attachments. All fixed up,,looking good,,,then at the point of sale. Do a partial trade on another machine.

Thats how I got this one,,but I might have paid too much. Not sure yet. It starts up,,sounds good, but will only run on choke. So I'm hoping it's just a carb cleaning problem.

This makes it hard to tell if I'm profiting anything,,,because ,,,got to wait to see what this one sells for . lol (And I do it all the time.)
It's risky business.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The Ford YT16 is a Gilson Clone. I had 2 Gilson yt16s several years ago. Gilson produced these same tractors for Ford and Lawnboy. Lawnboy bought Gilson just before Toro bought Lawnboy so these all fall under the Toro/Lawnboy umbrella now. You can still find some parts under the Lawnboy parts lookup. Surprised that it has a Kohler engine as these came with a Briggs opposed twin.
steve

Attachments

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well,,,I took $300 off the price of the tractor he was buying from me. I don't have any pictures yet of it.

This ford came with a 48"deck,,,,snow blower attachment ,with a new belt,hardware and a lawn sweeper. It starts up and drives too. It also has new mower belt,drive belt and battery!

I have the carb soaking now,,,,maybe I didn't pay too much.

The guy said he knew it was probably just a dirty carb ,,but had no interest in fixing it,,just wanted something ready to go.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wanted to say,,,I drove it around a little before I removed carb. It's one of the most comfortable machines I have ever been on. The seat,,leg room must be just right for me,,,not sure why.

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
880 Posts
This looks to be a 1990 or 91 model. The earlier ones (1988, 89) had white fenders. Also the grills on the earlier ones were white. The brochure I have for the earlier ones spec. the Briggs engine on the YT's and the Kohler on the LGT's. So it's possible that Gilson switched over to Kohlers in 1990 or 91.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have one of these with the Kohler like yours, the second series of these that have the blue rear fenders are powered with Kohler 16hp twins. Nice little mowers, I got mine free with a bad transaxle, I seen another around local with a grenaded transaxle also. Seems to be a weak point, but that Kohler is tough and well worth replacing the rear end in these.

Doug

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts
yup its a yt standing for (yard tractor) , the yt series was a lighter duty tractor then the (lgt) series , the frame . front axle and steering was built a little lighter duty then the lgts , but they are still pretty strong tractors

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Go to Messicks, (a MTF advertiser). Select New Holland and enter YT16 model. You will get a listing of about a dozen tractors. Select the one that closest fits your model and you will get parts diagrams, parts lists and part replacement costs.

www.messicks.com
That's good info right there!!! Found the snowblower parts listing for it too.

I have it running properly now and want to install the snowblower attachmant.. It don't look easy. I do have the book on it though.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I took this mower out the other day ,,briefly,,and mowed a couple of strips of lawn.
I noticed the deck rides on the ground. Is that correct?? There is no stop on the deck lift arm. Either up or all the way down.

I am going to remove the deck today and try to install the snowblower. I got this in pieces,,but looks as if everything is there. I must say,,this does not look like a easy process.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yes, the deck does "ride on the ground".....they called it a floating deck......the decks are one of the easiest to take on and off!
Not sure about the lift arm not having a mid way point though......
Looks like a nice tractor......

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, the deck does "ride on the ground".....they called it a floating deck......the decks are one of the easiest to take on and off!
Not sure about the lift arm not having a mid way point though......
Looks like a nice tractor......

Agreed on how easy this deck is to remove. Got to be the easiest I have ever seen.

I will double check it ,,but I don't think it has a midway stopping point.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A lot of the attachements including the deck are the same for our two tractors, so let me know if I can be of some help to you.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I spent 2 hours trying to install the snowblower. I did read the book before trying but it didn't make much sense.

I can see the way it was installed before,,from paint lines and rust lines on brackets. I have it the way it was from previous owners,,,and it is not correct.

I looked in book again after all this and found there is a single lift link at the top. Previous owners hooked it up directly without this link at top, and hand fabbed another and put two(extension) links at the bottom on each side.

Does anyone here have a snowblower for this unit??? What is the belt size for the longest belt on the snowblower?? The book/manual does not say this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.