My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the back hoe stuck the other day right at dark and decided to leave till the next morning when i had some light again to see what im doing. It ended up raining so i had to let her sit there for a couple days. The water caused the tractor to sink all the way to the frame. I went out to start it up and start the battle of unsticking her, and accidentally knocked the shifter into gear. I didnt realize i did that and tried to start her up and it made a loud clack and starter froze. I looked online and there seemed to be to many variables and didnt want to take the chance of getting the wrong starter shipped in so i went to the local starter / alternator shop.(ennis specialties in corsicana ) They took 4 days to find the parts.. I finally got to pick it up yesterday and the first surprise was that he told me it would probably be a 100 to repair 120 should be about the highest. Welllllll he gave me a invoice and said that is was 133 and some change and he was giving me a pretty good break. ( maybe trying to break my backside) , anyhow i paid it and went home just glad i could finally get her back in service. I installed the starter and the backhoe fired right up, problem is it sounds like the starter drive wont retract far enough to clear the flywheel after starting. She made a bunch of noise. I first thought the starter solenoid might be froze and the starter was continuing to spin. I yanked the hot cable off and killed the ignition. I took the starter back off wondering WTH i could of done wrong. It looked fine and i reinstalled it. This time i left the ignition switch off where she wouldnt fire and it makes the same noise. I take it back off again to see if i pulled the drive out if it would retract properly and it appears it does. I also did a bench test and it appears fine. So i reinstalled one more time with the same **** results. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas as to whats going on.

would any of these things be the problem..

1 I noticed the flywheel has water on it, im assuming because its been sitting open for over week now and there is condensation in it? or did the water somehow fill the trans up and is causing water to keep the drive from disengaging?

2 is the starter gear is not pushed on far enough on the starter drive ?

3 the guy used the wrong parts...

I did take one of the starter bolts and place it to the outer edge of the flywheel and measured to the starter casing on the tractor. I then took bold and placed it to the starters mounting and end of the bolt did not clear the starter gear. It appears to be sticking out 1/4 in maybe a little more. There are also nice chew marks on the edge of my flywheel now. :banghead3

Im going to try and get a couple pics and will post them up soon

·
Premium Member
9,249 Posts
I'm not sure about your current problem, but you shouldn't have been able to try to start it when it was in gear. There should be a safety switch that won't allow power to get to the starter when it's in gear. If it's a manual transmission then it should be a neutral safety switch. If it's a Select-o-Speed transmission it's a Park safety switch. I'm not sure on the power reversing or manual reversing transmissions, but they should still have some kind of safety switch. If your safety switch has been bypassed or disabled, you should fix it so that you don't have the same problem again in the future, and you don't accidentally injure yourself or someone else if it decides to actually start while it's in gear the next time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The flywheel.

The starter

Gotta get her unstuck before tuesday, we are suppose to have 2in of rain, and you can see how soggy it is already.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure about your current problem, but you shouldn't have been able to try to start it when it was in gear. There should be a safety switch that won't allow power to get to the starter when it's in gear. If it's a manual transmission then it should be a neutral safety switch. If it's a Select-o-Speed transmission it's a Park safety switch. I'm not sure on the power reversing or manual reversing transmissions, but they should still have some kind of safety switch. If your safety switch has been bypassed or disabled, you should fix it so that you don't have the same problem again in the future, and you don't accidentally injure yourself or someone else if it decides to actually start while it's in gear the next time.
your right and im going to look into that when i get her in the shop.

·
Registered
314 Posts
As I understand your problem, the starter drive isn't retracting or disengaging enough and is hanging up on the flywheel teeth and chewing up the edges, right? If that's the case, and you're concerned with getting your tractor started and out of the mud, why not make up a 1/4" spacer plate or even faster, stack up a few flat washers between the starter and the tractor surface on the bolts before you tighten things down.
Once you get things sorted out, I'd pull the starter and take it back and tell your guy what happened to the flywheel and have him straighten things out. $133.00 is a lot of money for something that doesn't work. Good luck.
Duane

·
Premium Member
9,249 Posts
I agree with Duane, if you're looking for something to work quick to get the tractor unstuck, try some washers as spacers and then once you have the tractor unstuck, take the starter back to the guy that "fixed" it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i took it back to him and he fixed it up in less that 2 hours. Said something about shimming it wrong? Works great now. Thx guys

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
shes going to get a good bath and greasing today if i can get across the old creek. i have to go back thru where i was stuck so bad. right now shes sitting up on a little dry island that the creek circles. im glad i got her out of there before the 3in of rain we just got.:trink39:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.