My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new to Graveleys. I was looking at DRs and then discovered Graveleys. I found the one below on Craigslist and have been trying to get a serial number from the seller to get an idea of which engine it is and worth. I intend to use it for clearing brush in an old apple orchard. I’m guessing it’s either a 6.6 or 7.6 HP. Seller said it ran two years ago; it is listed with a the brush hog deck and the asking price is $500 OBO. Any info for a newbie is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
I'd say you have a mid to late '60s custom convertible, or perhaps an L with a convertible hood.

The S/N would narrow that.

No two-speed axle. It has a governor. Can't tell which engine without a look at the head. If it's really a convertible, it should have the 7.6 engine with the vertical plug. Muffler's missing, that's an easy fix. Looks like an MA106 deck, which is good.

Either engine would serve your purpose well.

500 is rather out of line for a non-runner. Even a nicely running machine in that configuration likely wouldn't fetch 500.

If it were me, I'd look it over, check the compression, listen for a "snap" from the magneto, see if it's making a spark etc. Heck, even throw some fuel in it an try to start it. If I got it to run, I might pay 250 for the whole thing. The deck alone is worth 75 to 100 if it has a decent blade and the spindle isn't bent. As a non-runner, 200 tops. There are probably more than 200 bucks worth of parts there.

But note my sig: I have way too many of these things, I don't need more. You should decide what it's worth to you. And if it's not running, how much of a project you want. If you keep looking, I bet you'll find other L models in running condition for less.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! I thought $500 was really high based on some searches of previous sales. I also found a 5660 with a brush hog and snowblower for $600. Seller said the 14 HP Kohler is rebuilt.

·
Super Moderator
11,566 Posts
This package would be a fair asking price if everything checks out. This tractor is a lot more versatile with the Kohler engine, and high/low range.
These tractors normally came with 12 HP Kohlers, so it either has a 12 HP engine, a transplanted 14 HP engine, or I'm learning something new.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just an opinion, but I have a 5240 and an L8 (might be a C8). While the Kohler engined 5240 is newer, it seems a little rear heavy for the 30" mower, while the *8 is much better balanced. Both seem plenty powerful for mowing and would probably handle light snow-blowing, but not the heavy stuff. I keep the 40" mower on the 5240, and use the *8 for everything else. Both are good machines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for your input! I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge, experience, and information regarding different models. It does look like the C8 would be easier to handle with the 30” deck. I’m still looking around and reading Gravely articles and spec sheets.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks to all for your input! I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge, experience, and information regarding different models. It does look like the C8 would be easier to handle with the 30” deck. I’m still looking around and reading Gravely articles and spec sheets.
Be careful there is risk involved when buying a Gravely. You may get the fever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Information update on the first Gravely. The seller sent me the following numbers. I think it makes this machine a 1940s 5 HP possibly an L-202?
“On the top of the Shaft there was a 11 1 65A with a 10 L202.
On the underside there was a number 10388.”

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
L202 is the part number of the advance casting.

I'm not sure what the top of the shaft or the underside are.

Up through '67 the data plate with the S/N is under the hood, on the top of the shroud just to the right of the fuel filler cap. After that, there's a small plate on the lower left side of the advance casting.

There's no way that's a 40's machine unless somebody has done a lot of mods to it. The shroud, the hood, the wheels, the mag, all say mid-60's. For that vintage, if it's pre-'67 the S/N should be something like 2M12345. For post '67 (small data plate) the S/N should be something like J-12345. I would believe 10388 (without the J) as an S/N, that would make it a '67.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the information JRD. I asked the seller to check for a data plate. He said he purchased it 5 years ago. After I posted the ‘40s I realized that would have an angled flat hood with a peak in the center.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all! The mower is not local for me and the seller doesn’t have time to look for the data plate. Sounds like he’s firm on the $500 even though it hasn’t run in two years so I think I’m going to pass on this one.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Probably a good idea to pass on that one. I saw as a minimum that it would need a new muffler. Before you know it, you have another $100 or more in it getting it into running condition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts