My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas what kind of wood this is, I'm getting good at ready leaves but not to good at bark yet.
Splits pretty clean but the bark is stringy. Thank all.

Attachments

·
Joe
1,224 Posts
It does look like poplar. If it is it isn't worth the time and effort for firewood. Burns fast and not much heat. That's just my humble opinion though.
Joe

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I agree that it looks like Poplar, but it also resembles Ash.

Poplar is not a great wood for the deep heating season but is pretty good for the "shoulder" seasons, like now and in mid to late spring. It's enough to take the chill off but not during a deep freeze. If it's free and easy to work up, grab it. Free wood is always good wood.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Doesn't look like poplar up here.. Ours has a much different bark.. And poplar can heat your house all year. With a good stove and load it full... You can get a 8 hour burn.. I heat my house with poplar all winter.. -40 and all.. Its hard to find spruce or better around here.. They want 400 bucks a cord for birch..

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought it was poplar also because it's everyplace where I live. But the bark is much smoother and lighter then what grows right near my house. This was given to me and it originated about 20 miles from my house. I usually take the poplar and split it small and use it for kindling.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
There's 5-6 different species of poplar, and It's kind of tough to really say by the pik. I was kind of going by the color variation and the white color of the wood itself. Southern or warm weather poplar tends to have a tint to it that runs red or greenish. It's also pretty light weight when dry.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Most of this had a green, red or even purple tint to it.
Thanks
The gentleman who gave it to me just called and I asked him he said it was a Tulip Poplar/Yellow Poplar he also said it would only be good for kindling and start ups or on not to cold nights. But it was free and came with the same amount of Oak so it didn't take hardly any time to split and stack.
Thank everyone another reason I love this site.:fing32::thThumbsU:thanku:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Thanks
The gentleman who gave it to me just called and I asked him he said it was a Tulip Poplar/Yellow Poplar he also said it would only be good for kindling and start ups or on not to cold nights. But it was free and came with the same amount of Oak so it didn't take hardly any time to split and stack.
I burn a fair amount of poplar in my fireplace, but not for heating the house. It is great for kindling because the grain is so straight, you can split it into very small slices. I also burn the logs, and as they burn fairly quickly, I find they provide the same heat, just not for long. I will add this though. If you burn it in the fireplace, use a screen! When it dries out, it can pop like crazy and throw hot coals half way across a room!:Stop:

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
There's 5-6 different species of poplar...
Ja, and most of them are genetically linked, even if they go by different names like Aspen, Cottonwood, Balm of Gilead (Bam), etc.

I don't understand why they call that Tulip wood Poplar since it is unrelated to any other Poplar.

I have a lot of Aspen and Bam on my 18 acres and most often when I have to cull out dead or dying, I just buck it up so that it lays to rot. It's not worth my time to haul it out of the bush. Only if I have to drop in into my yard does some of it end up on the firewood pile since I would otherwise have to haul it into the bush. Even so much of it goes on my burn pile.

I absolutely hate it as firewood. Don't care for the smell and it makes way too much ashes.

·
Joe
1,224 Posts
Thanks
Yep. That is EXACTLY the stuff I was referring to..........Tulip Poplar. That's what we have around here in Almost Heaven and if you throw a wheelbarrow load of it in your stove you'll be hauling three wheelbarrows full of ashes out within the next hour. Burns like match sticks and not much heat ....Again, JMHO.
But, hey, if it's free and easy to get just mix it up with the good stuff and it'll be fine.
Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts