My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was researching deck washer kits here and didn't find that much good was said about them. Just curious if anyone has positive experiences as I'm considering putting one on my GT. Historically, I'd periodically pull the deck, scrape and wire brush and hit with cheap aerosol paint which seems to work OK. As I'm not as young as I used to be, "alternative" strategies are being explored...:)

Be well,

Ev

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
How about.....fitting a piece of pipe with a garden hose connection on one end, capping off the other end, and drilling a series of small holes near the capped end in the section of pipe. The smaller holes would supply a 'high pressure' spray that could be moved around and angled under the mower deck by hand, without removing the deck.
Similiar to what they used to wash the undersides of cars during the wintertime up here in the north east.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It came standerd on my pyt 9000, and I too dont think it is worth a darn. I do like the two previous ideas, and may give both a shot.:thanku:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ev,

My GT came standard with a wash port. I'm not that impressed with it.

I'm considering getting a gutter cleaner attachment for my pressure washer to do the job. http://www.ultimatewasher.com/gutter-cleaner-wands.htm

Not to steal the thread, but if anyone has used this type of attachment please share your results.

Regards,

Dan
I have that attachment for my 24' washer pole. It does do a good job in cleaning out second story gutters. I have used my for 5 years with good luck. The downside is you sometimes have to stand underneath it and of course, all of the muck falls right on you. I just wear a rain suit.

I did not think of using it to clean the deck. I was going to clean the deck this weekend and was just going to jack it up...this may be easier.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Well if you believe what a John Deere guy tells you.:D I use a standard garden center cheap-o 2.5' "watering wand" with a high pressure nozzle (twisty adjustable brass kind) and it's shaped just like that medical looking pressure washer attachment. I don't have a pressure washer so I go hose pressure with the deck running 1/2 throttle. Puts plenty of water right where I want it and the blades really splash it around.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
I used to spray water under the running deck with a regular hose nozzle, being careful to stay clear of the blades. Worked pretty well, just made a mess where it dropped the clippings. Sounds like what Hydro does, just a different slant.
Lately I've had second thoughts about splashing water on warm mandrels, so now I scrape with a putty knife. It takes me about 15 minutes, I can do it in the shed, and it makes less mess.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I rely on centrifugal force and the slinger ring on the bottom of my mandrels to keep water out. Run the deck for a while after the wash out and there won't be any more moisture under there than after cutting grass in the North East this week.:)

As I always say, if you rely on wash outs you have to do it immediately after cutting. Once that stuff sets up under there it's there until mechanically removed. Also the type of grass makes a big difference on how easy the stuff comes out. My grass I would rate at "Medium Easy" compared to other places I've cut. Crab grass is really sticky if you cut big bunchs of it, lots of sap or grass blood in it.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,428 Posts
I used to drive the MTD into a 6" deep puddle behind my garage and turn the blades on ,full throttle,and let it garagle!.:D..that may be why the deck hasn't rotted out yet,despite me rarely scraping it clean very often..now that I put a dry well in that spot I no longer have my "deck washer",so it only gets the ocaisional garden hose blasting now..

·
Registered
6 Posts
TH, thats what I did back in the spring. I am also thinkig about installing the washout port. I understand it to simply be a safer way of directing water to the deck while running the blades. I don't expect it to get sqeaky clean, just knock off most of the heavy stuff. If it will do that it would be worth it to me if I caught the port on sale. If I am missing any thing here let me know.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My new YT3000 came with a deck port and quick release hose attachment. I don't think it's a big deal. I'm looking for a way to get my mower and deck up off the ground so I can clean under it. I'm too old to get low to the ground and scrape out the dried grass.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
My new YT3000 came with a deck port and quick release hose attachment. I don't think it's a big deal. I'm looking for a way to get my mower and deck up off the ground so I can clean under it. I'm too old to get low to the ground and scrape out the dried grass.
Put a U-bolt on the front so you can hoist it up.

LIKE THIS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts