My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an older post.. but just in case its helpful to any of you... or anyone else.
The Jaques tractors were only made for a few years in the late '40s and they came in several flavors...The tricky thing with the Jaques tractors was that they also supplied chassis frames to Frazer and then Jaques sold to Ottawa in '49. So you have 3 different companies that had the same frame and often had other interchangeable parts.
The Jaques "Mighty Mite model 10" was the most common of the Jaques and I have read that there may have been as many as 5,000 of them produced. Most of the Mighty Mites came with a Briggs ZZ, but a small number also shipped with a Briggs 23 or even a Wisconsin. The transmissions were always Borg-Warner T92 or T96 or T98 with T96 being the most common. The angular hood is the feature that jumps out on those Mighty Mites .. but you have to be careful because the '49-'51 Ottawa Mules also occasionally shipped with that angular Mighty Mite hood. Far less common than the Mighty Mite was the Jaques "Farm King". The Farm King looked very similar but it had a more bubble type hood and it came from the factory with a Crosley engine. (Tractor-Holic.. if you saw a Red Jaques with a Crosley at any Ma tractor show, then it was probably my father in laws... he has the Jaques Farm King with the Crosley engine that is always at shows\parades and he also has Mighty Mite that needs to be restored.)
The Jaques Farm Kings were all red in color, except for the wheel hubs which I have seen both in red and in yellow. The Mighty Mites were all red, with a golden-yellow 1/2" wide stripe running horizontally along the sides of the hood and then running down the front of the hood in a V pattern. I have seen a lot of people mistakenly put a white stripe on the Mighty Mites.. but that was either a personal thing, or because they saw a B\W advertisement that had red embellishments-- and they mistakenly thought that the stripe should be white. oldirongardentractors(.com) has the full color brochure available for download so you can see what a Mighty Mite should look like.
Decals: The Mighty Mites had a Jaques cursive decal centered on front grille. The decal slants up to the right.
The Farm King may have had a small decal on the nose of the tractor, but i cant say for sure.. i have only ever even seen a decal in one single vintage picture.
I am attaching pic i found online of an unrestored Mighty Mite that still has a lot of original paint, and another picure of my father in laws Jaques Farm King.

Attachments

·
15,000 +posts!
19,944 Posts
The Jaques I saw was at the Francis Farms show & swap meet in Rehobeth MA last year..maybe it was his!..

There were quite a few rare tractors there--saw a "Silver King" and a "Plymouth",and some Allis-Chalmers garden tractors,among other oddities...

·
Registered
90 Posts
i have a mighty mite here in Mass. that i will probably never get to finish.
if anyone is interested send me an email and i will send photos and description.
Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
--Tractorholic- you hit the nail on the head. Both my father in law and I are members of NEATTA, (what a great group for tractor enthusiast in New England.. and dirt cheap to join) so the Jaques Farm King you saw at one of the Francis Farms meetups was his.

--Refracman, There are definitely some Mighty Mites in OH. I know there are\used to be guys in both Attica and Lucas with Mighty Mites. I would set up an alert on Craigslist to get notified of any post with the word "Jaques" or Mighty Mite".

--badboy1950- I don't have any spare space\cash\time for another project right now, (young kids and a full garage) but I am happy to pass the info about your Mighty Mite along to my father in law and some others to see if there is any interest. Could you send the info about it to: [email protected] A couple pics, what you are looking to get for it and the all important serial number off the tag etc. would be a huge help.

-Bob

·
Registered
339 Posts
Bob.
Thanks for the advice!

it always seems I'm either day late or a dollar short or as in this instance just to dang far!

I looked one at a swap meet in southern ohio last fall but it was too nice, I like to restore them myself, and this sounds like something I can work with.

·
Registered
90 Posts
thanks for your interest guys, heres some photos i took today.
the tractor has been living under this rubber since i owned it, the rims look original and in decent usable shape.
nothing is stuck, it steers, shifts and moves.
i had a small briggs belted to it a couple of years ago and ran it around the yard.
this is all i have as seen in the photos.
where do i look for a serial number:dunno:
$400. cash picked up here in Rochester, Mass.
Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dan,
The serial number is probably long gone.. the serial number would have been on a metal plate attached to the missing hood just in front of the steering wheel. There should be a date stamp on the transmission however, That tells at least when the transmission was built and from there the general rule of thumb has been to add two months to get the build date.
I'll ask around and see if anyone has any interest.

·
Administrator
5,436 Posts
How are you doing do you still have the mighty mite tractor and if so is it for [email protected]
Welcome to the forum...I see this is yiur first post. How about an intro in the intro section....
..REWALTER hasn't been logged on in almost 3 years, probably not going to get an answer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How are you doing do you still have the mighty mite tractor and if so is it for [email protected]
mribson- at one time, i had an email from Dan who posted that he had a rolling frame for sale... If i can find it I'll email it to you, on the off chance that its still sitting under a tarp in his backyard.
The Jaques Mighty Mites do show up for sale very occasionally on Craiglist or Facebook Marketplace. There was a beautiful partially completed Mighty Mite that was for sale in 2019 on the Cape and it included a new old stock TwinDisc clutch.

·
WBRNaddict
1 Posts
mribson- at one time, i had an email from Dan who posted that he had a rolling frame for sale... If i can find it I'll email it to you, on the off chance that its still sitting under a tarp in his backyard.
The Jaques Mighty Mites do show up for sale very occasionally on Craiglist or Facebook Marketplace. There was a beautiful partially completed Mighty Mite that was for sale in 2019 on the Cape and it included a new old stock TwinDisc clutch.
I was enjoying this thread. Wondering if your father in law still had his Farm King. I'm into the Jaques tractors. Actually got to see a FK in real life this past fall.
I have 2) model 10 MM, and a Model 14 MM, 2) Frazers, and 2) Ottawas 1 w/MM hood you mentioned. They are awesome tractors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts