My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After running it for about 15 min. it has a small antifreeze leak. It's coming from just under the bigger hose on front RH side of engine. I'm guessing there is a weep hole there and is actually the water pump seal leaking. Are these very hard to change out? Any special tools needed? Need some advice. I hope my great deal is not beginning to turn into a fixer upper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just did one on my X485. You can get a mirror under there and see it leaking out of the weep hole. After talking with a few people the best thing to do is replace the whole waterpump for $135. I was going try to replace just the seal on my but after talking with some service guys i decided not to chance it and replaced the whole pump. It is pretty straight foward. I was able to find the service manual online. It gives you the order to unbolt and the order to tighten and the torque specs also. It took me probably about 4 to 5 hrs. Basicly you have to remove the hood, heat shields, exhaust, Battery, drain the coolant, remove old water pump and cover and clean the old silicone off. The dealer wanted about $280 dollars so it was worth the time. I also replaced the coolant with new also. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you use a gasket only on new pump or use a silicone sealant?

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are no gaskets in the tech book they recommend using Kawasaki Bond silicone sealant. I used the John Deere version (silicone sealant)that was recommend by the service guy at my local Deere dealer. The cost was $10 Just make sure you get all of the old sealant off. Can use a fine scotch brite pad. I flat sanded the cover and ran a fine stone over the block to make sure there were no nicks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for info. Got a saturday project again now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts