My Tractor Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
I had trouble finding spacers that the OD wasn't too big so today I just built some. Bought a cutting board at the resale shop and cut some out of it. Broke the bead on the tire that needs a tube, sanded and painted the wheel as it had black paint splotchy sprayed on it. I hope to do the conversion tomorrow.

View attachment 2485493 View attachment 2485494
I like the masking technique and it looks like you did a very good job with the jig saw. If you have to do more than a couple/few, one of these might come in handy.

When using this, or a more common style of hole saw, I drill a pilot hole with a normal drill bit then put the beheaded shank of a bolt in place of the pilot bit. A bolt is MUCH stronger than a bit and this prevents bit breakage and minimizes having the pilot hole cut bigger than desired, if some chatter develops while cutting.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
And done. I still need to paint the right wheel Int'l off-white but it's fine for now. The golf cart color is a greyish off white. Steering is tight and solid now. Before it would wander and I had to saw the wheel non stop to go straight. None of that now.

Probably much more stout with the cup and cone bearings vs flange. I needed it as it routinely has 500lbs in the bucket. Loader is 250lbs so 750lbs more than stock on the front spindles.

Thanks for the engineering work on this Bill. Great cheap way to convert these over to something HD.

20201227_153355_compress93.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
Wow, this is a great modification (two, of you count the power steering)!

No idea if this'll work on my Craftsman GS6500 (it runs a JB Jr) or Husqy GTH2548 (similar to GT5000, it will be running a heavy snowblower), but I might look into it!

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Have you run it much with the "shims" preventing the axle from pivoting? I would think running it that way might put a lot of stress on the frame, especially with all of the weight that you carry around with/on it.
Those were only put there while working on it to tilt the axle down so I could get the top bushings driven into place.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Wow, this is a great modification (two, of you count the power steering)!

No idea if this'll work on my Craftsman GS6500 (it runs a JB Jr) or Husqy GTH2548 (similar to GT5000, it will be running a heavy snowblower), but I might look into it!

Mike
Thanks Mike. Do those GTs have 1" spindles? It will most likely work if you have 4.5" of straight spindle to work with.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Those were only put there while working on it to tilt the axle down so I could get the top bushings driven into place.
Those "shims" should be ideal for "working on purposes". When I R&I mower decks, I usually put a piece of plywood on the right side then jack from the opposite side to keep the tractor from rocking and fairly parallel to the ground. The plywood gets deformed, but the poly pieces should work just about perfect for that.

If you have them laying around, something else that might also work well is a hockey puck, although it might need cut down to appropriate size.

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
Thanks Mike. Do those GTs have 1" spindles? It will most likely work if you have 4.5" of straight spindle to work with.
They are only 3/4 diameter (on the GS6500, not sure about the GT5000). Not sure about the length (didn't measure at the time).

I put new spindles on the GS6500 earlier this year, here's a link to that post:

Note: Click on the link to see my actual post, the system seems to have placed random text from another post into the preview above...

Looks like I'd have to find an upgrade for the spindles, and would need to modify the axle and potentially steering components to match.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
They are only 3/4 diameter (on the GS6500, not sure about the GT5000). Not sure about the length (didn't measure at the time).

I put new spindles on the GS6500 earlier this year, here's a link to that post:

Note: Click on the link to see my actual post, the system seems to have placed random text from another post into the preview above...

Looks like I'd have to find an upgrade for the spindles, and would need to modify the axle and potentially steering components to match.

Mike
Sorry Mike. Sounds like way too much work. Better off with another axle with 1" spindles if they were available.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
If I was to convert a tractor with 3/4" front axles, I'd use the larger 1 1/16" bearings in the hubs. That way you will have some extra thickness to work with. Start with 1.25" OD, .75 ID steel tubing, leave the inside end at 1.25 for the grease seal to run on and turn the rest down to 1.0625 for the hub bearings to run on. The sleeve would lend some extra strength to the .75 axles.

Bill

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
So you're basically saying just keep my 3/4 spindles and run a sleeve over them to make them thicker?

I don't have a lathe (or required skills to run one) to modify a sleeve (or shaft).

Mike

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Sorry Mike, I was just thinking out loud. But there are ways to make what you have stronger and accomplish the end desire.

Bill

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
No need to apologize, quite the contrary! I'm just trying to clarify your suggestion.

I do think that these spindles are probably undersized for using a JB Jr.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Bill I was going to mount my 3240 stock wheels with GC tires on my 3205 yeaterday and did some measuring on different setups. Square laid across the face and another up to it to get overall height and width.

From L-R
18x8.5-8 on 5.5" rim Actual 18" tall 7.5" wide
18x8.5-8 on 7" wide rim 17 5/8" x 8.5 wide
16x6.5-8 on 5.5" rim 16" x 6.25" wide

20210103_163549_compress71.jpg

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Steve, for your 3240 I think the tallest would be of benefit as long as you have the travel needed to still push the bucket into the ground. You will get extra lift from the taller tires and on the 3240 you have no issues with interference from mower deck casters. (Only an issue with a 48" deck)

Bill

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Steve, for your 3240 I think the tallest would be of benefit as long as you have the travel needed to still push the bucket into the ground. You will get extra lift from the taller tires and on the 3240 you have no issues with interference from mower deck casters. (Only an issue with a 48" deck)

Bill
Those are on the flange bearing wheels. The middle ones are the 4lug GC wheels.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Steve, have you checked into any 4 bolt wheels for trailers? Maybe something from trailers would be 4-5" wide so you could benefit from the taller profile.

Bill

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Steve, have you checked into any 4 bolt wheels for trailers? Maybe something from trailers would be 4-5" wide so you could benefit from the taller profile.

Bill
I don't think I want to Bill. The stock wheels with GF tires hit my steering cylinder fitting when turning even after lifting it up and putting a steering stop on the axle.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts