My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still can't decide on this machine.This was in 2010.:banghead3 Replaced Battery (3 yrs, it was time). Bent hitch plate moving utility trailer. The seat mount is showing a hairline crack(was replaced for same thing under warranty). the bottom lip on the deck near the discharge chute came apart and had to be re-welded. It makes me question the quality or thickness of the steel used. The hour meter has become nearly unreadable due to a black spot in the middle and one of the headlights will not stay lit(some trouble since day one but has gotten worse). The front hood latch dropped 2 of the 4 retaining bolts and melted part of the hood before I knew what was up. None of this kept me from mowing and that is good, but it just seems like a lot on a 3 year old machine with less than 200 hours.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I still can't decide on this machine.This was in 2010.:banghead3 Replaced Battery (3 yrs, it was time). Bent hitch plate moving utility trailer. The seat mount is showing a hairline crack(was replaced for same thing under warranty). the bottom lip on the deck near the discharge chute came apart and had to be re-welded. It makes me question the quality or thickness of the steel used. The hour meter has become nearly unreadable due to a black spot in the middle and one of the headlights will not stay lit(some trouble since day one but has gotten worse). The front hood latch dropped 2 of the 4 retaining bolts and melted part of the hood before I knew what was up. None of this kept me from mowing and that is good, but it just seems like a lot on a 3 year old machine with less than 200 hours.

The seat crack is probably due to the fact that the support bracket under the pan is not present. I had this issue on my older 2130 machine, I had them give me a seat bracket and new tray. I did notice all the plastic they are now using (cub cadet) and when I do buy a new machine, it will be a JD X748. I want my next machine to be my last. I cant complain on my 1995 unit, its been fine other than the seat crack issue, but what I read about the newer Cub's I will stay away unless it was the SC2400 unit which is too big for my needs.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Yup, that’s a lot of problems. The hoods in particular have been a trouble spot – the majority of 2500’s series owners here have reported hood issues. I have a 2550 and have had hood problems and some other stuff too – mine is going in next week to have the floor pan replaced because the paint is peeling off on one side under the foot pad. I am sure that Cub has lost a lot of sales due to experiences like yours.

However, there points in the 2500’s favor too. Cub has taken care of the issues that I have brought to their attention (hood, pan) under warranty and I have found a number of great dealers to work with. The big thing in the 2500 series favor though, is a combination of features (stout frame, HD driveline, better axles, easy to attach implements, shaft drive, etc.) that cannot be found elsewhere for the same money. JD’s are great machines (with quality that is generally considered to be superior), but $ for $ do not come close to matching up. To get shaft drive on a JD you need to move up to the 700 series (which I have looked over – a truly awesome machine, probably the best GT available right now), but that is an $8,800 machine on the low end and still $7,000+ on the used market. A shaft drive Simplicity is a real nice machine also, but an $8,600 machine too.

Certainly the 2500 is not perfect, but for the price I don’t currently see anything I like better. In my opinion the biggest competition for the 2500’s is the Cub 3000’s. Hopefully your experience will get better over the next 200 hours.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
IMO the Cub quality just isn't there like it used to be. But for the money and the options the 2500 series has it's tough to beat. The old adage you get what you pay for in today's LT/GT market holds true. slkpk

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I totally agree with pfreiburger... this has came up a lot. I'm in the same boat with the hood. Mine happened with less than 1 hour on the machine. I've had it a year and 2 months now with 158 hours with no other issues. Just like the 2 above posts for the money and features.... I just don't think anything your going to buy new can touch it. For 2010 CC has even changed the hood mounts and such, so the company is listening and learning. It's just a shame it takes so many model years to get everything right.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
That is a shame. The 44" deck issue is a new one. The hour meter sounds like the glass on the LCD got mashed/broken somehow. I was never big on hour meters anyway. You know about how many hours/year you use the machine. I never trust them on a used machine. I've heard of the seat mount issues, even back in the early 2000 model years. The plastic front lift hood was the dumbest idea ever IMO. Plastic is fine, but make it metal where the exhaust pipe pokes through, make it rear lift and put some metal heat shielding in there.

Joel

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Not to hijack the thread.. just to show not all new Cubs are shoddy quality... I've had none of these problems on my 2007 120-hr i-1050, and it's got a lot of plastic (hood, dash tower, rear fender covers). Supposedly the i-Series is roughly equivalent to Cub's 2000 series for quality/strength so should be in the same ballpark.

While the hood is plastic, it is rear lift and has metal brackets and seems to be holding up fine, no heat shielding either. And the exhaust exits maybe 3 inches from the front lower lip of the hood and it hasn't melted (yet, crossing fingers). Maybe it's a higher-temp plastic, or maybe they just got the airflow figured out in this design. Seems like they had the right idea for hood design way back in 2007, just didn't do that on all models I guess.

Regarding footrests, I should mention the steel under my footrests did peel and rust also. I just stripped them down and repainted. From other postings on here, footrest rot seems almost inevitable for any model that has separate footrest covers (rubber, plastic, whatever). They trap dirt and crud and moisture. Some people just remove them to avoid the rot problem, replacing with bedliner or self-adhesive non-slip treads. I just make sure to blow them out with the leaf blower after each mow when I blow off the rest of the tractor, and figure I'm in for stripping/repainting them once every other season or so.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Yup, that’s a lot of problems. The hoods in particular have been a trouble spot – the majority of 2500’s series owners here have reported hood issues. I have a 2550 and have had hood problems and some other stuff too – mine is going in next week to have the floor pan replaced because the paint is peeling off on one side under the foot pad. I am sure that Cub has lost a lot of sales due to experiences like yours.

However, there points in the 2500’s favor too. Cub has taken care of the issues that I have brought to their attention (hood, pan) under warranty and I have found a number of great dealers to work with. The big thing in the 2500 series favor though, is a combination of features (stout frame, HD driveline, better axles, easy to attach implements, shaft drive, etc.) that cannot be found elsewhere for the same money. JD’s are great machines (with quality that is generally considered to be superior), but $ for $ do not come close to matching up. To get shaft drive on a JD you need to move up to the 700 series (which I have looked over – a truly awesome machine, probably the best GT available right now), but that is an $8,800 machine on the low end and still $7,000+ on the used market. A shaft drive Simplicity is a real nice machine also, but an $8,600 machine too.

Certainly the 2500 is not perfect, but for the price I don’t currently see anything I like better. In my opinion the biggest competition for the 2500’s is the Cub 3000’s. Hopefully your experience will get better over the next 200 hours.

+1 on the JD X700 series and the Cub's being the best for the Money. I own a 2130 from 1995 not really any issues. When I replace it it will be a x748

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an "07" GT2554, It had a broken hood mount when it was delivered. The Dealer replaced it with no questions asked. Other than that it has been used all summer mowing and all winter plowing with no issues. It is a great machine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts