My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Not to get off thread.....
2000 series engine to deck belt drives a double pulley,it does nothing but drive another belt for two spindles on 2180 with a 42" deck and 3 spindles on larger decks. This "mule drive " has bearings and on most models a grease fitting. it is towards the rear of the deck reducing the angle mentioned.

Older cubs (100 series etc) the center spindle pulley was double stacked and drove the two outside spindles. Its front location means it goes through higher angles from low to high cut positions.

Hope it gets fixed....

·
Collector of many tractors
15,275 Posts
ANY belt drive will look like it's moving/walking around its axis with a strobe light (timing light)... even new setups... So it's very hard to see a loose/failing bearing unless it's really bad... I've been using strobes for years on machinery... You would be surprised to see how much a belt slips around a pulley

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
UPdate, well after a couple of weeks I get it back today. The new dealer replaced the front pulleys, spindles and bearings. The deck shell may need to be replaced if this doesn't work. I will try it out today. slkpk

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
CC replaced the front pulleys under warranty. I paid to replace the left spindle and bearings new blades mower deck drive belt get it home and it cuts like crap. Leaves a 3-4 inch wide area partially cut which sticks up about 1.5 inches higher than the rest of the cut.I got PO'd and put it up for sale. They told me that if what was just done to it did not fix the problem a new deck shell would cost me $250.00 to replace it and that it was probably bent. I see no creases, dents cracks in the deck anywhere and I'm not about to put any more money into a new tractor and CC has pretty much blown me off. What really torques me is that we've had problems with this since day one and the Cub Rep in my area won't really do anything to help me out or stand behind the product. 3 of the 6 belts I've paid for and CC said it was a wear item. Oh well yesterday my SIL got out and started adjusting the deck and it's cutting better but still not right. I wonder if one spindle could be longer than the other. I've got it listed for sale on this site. I've got many MTD products that I'm very happy with but this one is just a lemon and I feel that some of this should be taken care of under warranty. It may not sell and if it doesn't I will use it for other things than mowing. The tractor it self I like very much. In my future I don't see any more MTD CC's. It's a shame as I've had good luck with others. My CC 4x4 snow blower is fantastic and never had a problem with it. slkpk

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
UPDATE, Another belt was about to break and caught it before it broke. Took it to the dealer Wed. The rear (Mule drive) pulley base, that has two grease zerks sits on top of a moveable bracket with the arm attached keeping tension on the belt had a piece of metal under it which should have been ground off before painting it. This caused the pitch to be wrong and it ate almost through the metal bracket causing the belt to ride at the top of the pulley tearing up the belts. A year ago I asked about the pitch on the pulley and was told that was normal so it would be able to mow at the different height settings.The new part should be in this week. Wish me luck. slkpk

·
16,883 Posts
Good luck--seems like that machine 'slipped thru' quality control.

But by now--your dealer should have had a service history of belt problems---he should have offered to fix/find out what the heck the problem is--both for customer satisfaction, and for his own future knowledge---something's missing there.....:00000060:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
glenn27, this is a new dealer, the old went out of business. Imagine that! Here is a few pics of what the problem is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Good deal! The problem FINALLY reared it's ugly head.

Joel

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
At last I got a call from the new Cub dealer and the part finally arrived and he got it put back together today. I will pick it up in the am and give it a try if the weather holds out long enough. Were finally going to get some rain. slkpk

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I got it back today and mowed about 2 acres with it this am. I think they got the belt problem fixed. The belt gets warm but not so hot you can't touch it like it used too. It still doesn't cut right leaves a swath under your right foot thats about an 1 1/2" higher than the left side. Will re-adjust the deck level it already has new blades. Is there anything else I need to check? slkpk

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
UPDATE: It's been another belt eating mowing season but the belts lasted longer with the previous fix. It ate a belt about 1 a month this April through July. So back to the dealer in July and another 3 weeks in the shop. The problem remained the same it was that back pulley setup on the mower deck kept bending and getting out of alignment. Well CC finally has a fix for it and sent the part at NO CHARGE to the dealer. The 2180 has performed flawlessly since the first week in August and the belt still looks like new. This is the longest we've had a PTO belt to last. We have about another 3-4 weeks of mowing season left and I look for this fix to hold up. I will get some pics of the new part when I can as it's at my SIL place. slkpk

·
16,883 Posts
Seems like some things just keep on bitin' you in the AZZZZZZ!

By the time you get it straightened out--the mower will either be worn out--or you'll be in a mental institution..:00000060: ..
You have more patience than me..

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I ain't the one with the patience, it's my SIL that has it all. He's the one having to use it every week when it aint in the shop. Then of course he uses the 2305. slkpk

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Still using the same belts and things going well with it. I would like to thank the dealer A-Z Rental in Pekin IL and Ray the owner for going to bat for me and getting this taken care of in spite of the fat obnoxious stupid arrogant Cub Rep. slkpk

41 - 56 of 56 Posts