My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up another Stihl yesterday. Fella's dad bought it a few years back to take down one tree in their yard. Saw has been sitting on a shelf in the garage ever since and the dad passed away. No use for the saw so decided to sell it. He put mix in and it fired up on 3 pulls. I gave him $200 for it. When I got it home I emptied everything out. Did new plug and air filter. Took top cover off and it looks like new underneath. Pulled muffler and piston looks new. Also looked at top of piston with my scope and it looks like new. Compression is right up there at around 160psi if I did it correctly. Wife came in the workshop and said "I thought you weren't going to buy a new saw?" Told her it was used and she didn't believe me. Now I have a top handle 14" ms192, an 18" ms250, and an 18" ms270. Now I just have to find something to cut.:LOL:
Duane

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
So what model is this one?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
When I bought my 660 I was surprised that the MS290 looked almost as big. My 290 is my go to saw. Not the fastest, but dead reliable. It stays on the back of my truck 24/7.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
When I bought my 660 I was surprised that the MS290 looked almost as big. My 290 is my go to saw. Not the fastest, but dead reliable. It stays on the back of my truck 24/7.

Yup, Hard to believe how big, heavy and underpowered this 290 is for the the size. Now the old 660 is quite a saw. My logger buddies absolutely hate the new 661s and have since ordered the new 661 Magnum which is an old school, carbureted non auto tune saw like the 660.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
Yup, Hard to believe how big, heavy and underpowered this 290 is for the the size. Now the old 660 is quite a saw. My logger buddies absolutely hate the new 661s and have since ordered the new 661 Magnum which is an old school, carbureted non auto tune saw like the 660.
i was surprised by how much a muffler mod woke up my ms280... took a few min for the electronic carb to adjust but it pulls really good now....

Reactions: c5rulz

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
It's funny, my 290 is big and heavy for what it is, but I have really been OK with the power it has. I took down two big trees a couple weeks ago. My climber got down to where his Stihl top handle was just too small. He asked for a bigger saw. I said I would send up the 290. He snorted and cussed and said he didn't want that piece of junk homeowner saw, just send up the 660. He was only about 8' off the ground where the tree branched out. I had just put the 36" bar on for the main trunk and didn't want him to have to use it for a 20-22 inch cut. I told him, just try it. He flushed of the two or three stubs and handed the saw back down. Then, said, Man what did you do to that thing, it CUTS! I've thought about putting a 390 top end on it, but I can't justify it, the darn thing cuts too good.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Oh, if the 290 had a baffle in the muffler, I took it out, that's one of the first things I used to do with saws, so, that may have woke it up a bit?

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
Oh, if the 290 had a baffle in the muffler, I took it out, that's one of the first things I used to do with saws, so, that may have woke it up a bit?
Yep... muffler modding the stihls is key.....i would say it make a very noticable improvement...

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In my original post, I said "now I need to find something to cut". I wasn't implying I was running around with a running saw looking for a tree. Right now we have "LOTS" of snow on the ground and I don't usually get the saws out until spring, unless there's a storm. I do my cutting at my camp which is an hour from home. I have 50 acres of oak, maple, hickory, ash, and locust. I do my cutting in the spring after the snow melts. We go out and clean up anything that blew down during the winter. It's all used for campfire wood during the nicer weather. Right now I'm chomping at the bit and just waiting for spring, but I still have a long wait here in New York. Stay safe everyone.
Duane

1 - 12 of 12 Posts