My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should go on an ebay/Craigslist sticky for interactions with folks here and there...amuzing or annoying anecdotes.

I do understand the margin of error and the communication breakdown thing, but I called on a group of mowers for a $125 price. I have neither $125 or the desire to posess all of those mowers he had there so I made an offer on what appeared to be a cast deck with a Utility style shroud on it. The guy was nice and read me not only the model number and complete serial number, he read the full starting instructions which are on the shroud, a brief description of its condition and finally some information he knew about Lawnboys including the year it was made and that he'd seen these things go for $300-$400 and more on ebay.

Look it up on MPV (5800) and find it's actually the wireless electric mower which has been repurposed with a gas engine. I decided against it since it would be parts only, how would I ever find the motor and charger for it? There's one on ebay right now...crazy timing.

So I call the guy back to tell him what I found out about it. With the electric motor description of its origin his tone changed to 'what kind of idiot do I have here' style..."naww, this thing has a gas engine on it and it came that way." Then offers me the serial number again. In an ever so cautious last effort to inform without trying to sound like I was trying to say he was wrong I explained that the electric motors would mount the same as a gas engine on a cast deck and used the larger batteries..."no, see, there's no place for those batteries..." So I just agreed with him and told him he must have a rare model there.

I may just grab it up since it's a little on the rare side and I could put a vintage cordless model together at some point with a good deck. That'd be the tough part to find I suppose...maybe not the funniest or worst by far interaction with a seller or buyer, but it was funny to me. I'll let you know what I find if I pick it up.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Some people dont want to hear things. Try to tell them something about what they have and they dont want to listen. Anyway let us know what happens and if you get the mower

1 - 2 of 2 Posts