My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Don,

So, my truck has 141,000kms/87613 miles and has been on 5w30 since new, except for the one time I ran 10w30, was not paying attention when I grabbed the bottles...

Anyway, will going from 5w30 to 5w40 hurt anything, being just a tad thicker?? What about winter time??

The truck is an 04 GMC 1500CC 5.3L.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Greetings Will !
Sorry for the delayed response, storms knocked out my hughes net satellite internet service last wedenesday, and their service SUCKS !
Are you talking synthetic oil or Dino oil ?
If you are talking synthetic oil they will both flow super in the cold however the 5W30 will flow better.
The 40 WT oil will compromise fuel economy usually about 5% versus the 30 weight due to the increased drag the thicker viscosity causes.
Other than that it should work fine.
Hope this helps !
Have a great day!
Don

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greetings Will !
Sorry for the delayed response, storms knocked out my hughes net satellite internet service last wedenesday, and their service SUCKS !
Are you talking synthetic oil or Dino oil ?
If you are talking synthetic oil they will both flow super in the cold however the 5W30 will flow better.
The 40 WT oil will compromise fuel economy usually about 5% versus the 30 weight due to the increased drag the thicker viscosity causes.
Other than that it should work fine.
Hope this helps !
Have a great day!
Don
I had satellite internet, and I have been through all of that - it does suck. Now have DSL, much better.

I am talking synthetic, and will stick with 5w30.

Our MF 1523 (built June 07) calls for 10w30, and we run synthetic. What do you recommend?

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Don,

So would the same apply when referring to syn 5w40 diesel oil? Tractor built in June of 07 and MF calls for 10w30.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Were it my tractor I would run the Amsoil HDD 5W30 Heavy Duty Diesel oil year round.
You will not find a better oil to protect your investment, it also allows you to extend your drain intervals up to 3 X versus dino oil.
30 weight diesel oil creates less drag than 40 weight, which helps improve mileage, currently newer European heavy trucks are using 20 weight engine oils, the main reason is fuel economy.
I believe most are synthetic to allow for better engine protection.
Have a great day !
Don

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Were it my tractor I would run the Amsoil HDD 5W30 Heavy Duty Diesel oil year round.
You will not find a better oil to protect your investment, it also allows you to extend your drain intervals up to 3 X versus dino oil.
30 weight diesel oil creates less drag than 40 weight, which helps improve mileage, currently newer European heavy trucks are using 20 weight engine oils, the main reason is fuel economy.
I believe most are synthetic to allow for better engine protection.
Have a great day !
Don
This stuff Don. :) So the 5w30 is good in hot conditions too??

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/hdd.aspx for our MF

And what about my truck? GM calls for 5w30, and that is what I have been runnning.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Amsoil HDD 5W30 diesel oil is engineered for pre 2007 on road diesel engines and all model year off road diesel engines. It also works super for all gasoline engines recommending API SL specifications including turbocharged vehicles.
This one oil will work great for everything you have listed in your post.
I have quite a list of customers in my area using HDD 5W30 in a variety of equipment, my farm accounts have been using it in tractors for the last 4 or 5 years, usually when they switch a tractor over to synthetic I install a bypass filter system along with HDD 5W30 diesel oil, then every 200 hours they send in an oil sample and install a new full flow engine oil filter, every 600 hours they install a new bypass filter, the oil analysis tells you everything about the oil, including it's servicability, it's very similar to a doctor taking a blood sample, many times it reveals a problem you never knew you had, and would not have found without the sample, until it was to late.
This program allows for safely extended oil drain intervals, the farmers doing this not only cut their maintenace costs but also greatly reduce wear to extend equipment life, the oil analysis is the checks and balances that reveals how the better oil and filtration is performing.
I have a construction company using this program, I installed Amsoil HDD5W30 and bypass filtration in 2004 in a Gehl D10H dynalift rough terrain forklift with a John Deere 4 Cylinder turbo diesel. I change the full flow oil filters every 200 to 300 hours and sample the oil, the bypass filters are changed every 600 hours the oil has not been changed since installed, and currently has close to 2000 hours on the oil. Oil analysis results verify the effectiveness of the superior lubrication and filtration offered by Amsoil.
I also have a customer that delivers feed and seed to farm coop's in a 150 mile radius from their warehouse, they were changing the 15W40 petroleum diesel oil every 10,000 miles I have 5 of their semi's switched over to
HDD 5W30 and bypass filtration, these engines include cat C-12's and Cummins N14, M11, and ISX series, they sample the oil every 15,000 miles and now run 60,000 + oil drain intervals with less wear than petro at 10,000 miles. They are very pleased with the results and have since refered more businesses my way.
This technology is awesome for anyone looking to improve their profit margin, however it does require an open mind for it to be applied.
Anyone who wishes to research bypass filtration further here is a link:
http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=531421&page=storefront/eabp
If you wish to learn more about oil analysis click on the oil analysis dropdown box under the articles tab on my website.
Hope this is helpful !
Have a great day !
Don:thThumbsU

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Don!!

There is a can of wonderful stuff you are supposed to dump in your oil before changing over to Amsoil (change filter, add,run, then do oil change, cannot find it online... :( ) should I worry about it plugging anything up? I change every 6,500 miles/10,000k so all seems clean.

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Don. Will doing it once be all that is needed?? Are there any negative affects from using it?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I usually flush the engine once when switching to Amsoil and have flushed every vehicle that I have done over the last seven years, of the hundreds I've flushed I have yet to have an issue.
Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts