My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Howdy all...found you folks flippin' over every rock I could looking for info on my John Deere riding mower,and it seems this is THE place with all the info...you'll be hearing me whine....uhm...I mean askin' lotsa 'duh' questions after I get settled in...looks like you have a nice place here:fing32:....I raise a cold one to all-'specially since I finished mowing in this hot humid stuff out there...:trink40:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:MTF_wel: and glad you found us. slkpk

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
:MTF_wel: It is a fun and informative place.

You got a Deere? :wwp:

·
Super Moderator
35,801 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you'll find all the information you're looking for and provide some insight to the rest of as. We are a graphically oriented bunch so "We Want Pictures" is a common theme here.

·
Registered
538 Posts
:MTF_wel:

·
16,808 Posts
Welcome to MTF!!

( I know a chef named "Mario"--does that count??):biglaugh:
and his brother "Dominic"??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...well I love to cook.....and eat too....mebbe too much:trink39:
...by the way I inadvertantly started typing this post and got too far into it before I realized it may need to be a new topic:banghead3,so if one of the mods deems it necessary,please move it or re-title it or sumthin
.....one of the reasons I was trying to find a place like this is that back on Father's Day I got myself a badly needed new riding mower since the old one was underpowered and on its last legs,so on my limited budget I picked up a JD 135...I LOVE it...:fing32:....but yesterday I noticed something that troubled me.....I've only got 10 hours on this thing...after mowing I noticed the nice yellow mower deck had black soot all over the top-not dirt-soot....I'd previously noticed only a little tiny bit on a couple occasions that I though it WAS dirt,but yesterday it was all over-couldnt even see the warning sticker:crybaby:....now,the air filter is spotless,the plugs have noe black or soot anywhere,nothing is restricting airflow,and I didn not see ANY smoke or soot blowing during the 2 hours it took me to do our yard...I did NO adjustments of any sort to anything including the carb.....
..................can someone enlighten me???.....whats wrong/what can I do???

Attachments

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Check the mower deck and grpund drive belts for wear or rubbing. Maybe a belt is misrouted or chafing creating fine rubber belt fragments causing the "soot" you are seeing. Might just be the new belts breaking in but I have never seen anything as bad as you describe that is normal.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,653 Posts
1st, :MTF_wel:

If it were "soot" from the exhaust that bad, I'd expect you'd smell "gassy" exhaust fumes from a way-too-rich condition. My guess is the deck belt is rubbing the spindle covers on the outside blades and depositing the small shavings around the deck from the breeze created by the spinning belt and sheaves. Look at the edges of the plastic spindle/sheave covers and see if a groove is being worn in them where the belts are the closest. If so, just trim them back a bit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also have a LA135 and had the deck belts rubbing the inside of the black pulley covers in several places. You could smell a little burnt rubber until they had dug as far as they were going to. I haven't gotten around to reinstalling the covers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...stand by fellas,i'm uploading some pics i just took to illustrate...i never smelled any rubber burning-but then again I'm out with wind blowing:banghead3...the belts arent black-they're greyish cordlike-unless all the rubber came off already-ashamed to admit I never paid attention to it:fing20:...no smell whatsoever of fuel when running...and from what I can barely see i dont notice wear...will have to take a closer look-its a pain in the butt to get a good view

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...by the way,is it ok to take off and leave off theoutside beltshields???....cant get the grass out from under them

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...okeedokee...here's a couple quick pics of the deck from both sides....you can still see some of the "soot" I hadnt gotten off yet-it looks lighter in the pics,its black in regular light....I cant really tell since its a pain right now to get to-my durn glasses keep sliding around-I hate bifocals...:crybaby:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,801 Posts
Well assuming you didn't change or remove the deck to engine belt I can see in the picture on the right has the belt below the idler wheel and is being pinched between the pulley and the belt guard, which you can see on the first picture. I'm betting you don't have the correct tension set on the belt. I always notice after the first use or two I have to re-tension them on my deck, they heat up and stretch just a bit!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
...ah-ha...!....I see what you mean...thats enough to cause all that "soot"???...I did not touch a thing on the deck since I brought it home....I just went out and looked closer....I assumed that there was supposed to be some"slack" when the mower was not engaged...I engaged the mowing lever(not while engine running) and the belts seem to tighten up right where they should be,in fact I have difficulty moving them if I pull on them...hard for me to see any "wear" anyplace,but i'm a total geek when it comes to this stuff....I can cook and draw some great art,but mechanics are not my forte:fing20:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts