My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post so let me first thank everyone for a wonderful forum. Everyone seems very pleasant on this forum unlike a lot of forums I belong to. I found this site after searching for information on yard tractors. So glad I did. I've learned a lot and this site convinced me to move up some from my previous choice. Actually I was looking to buy a Cub Cadet from Tractor Supply. After much research I found too many negative comments about them. Not to offend anyone who owns them as I'm sure they make fine machines and I know you hear way more from people complaining than praising but it did make me think about it. Then I thought about the John Deere's at Home Depot and Lowes. But after more research I decide it would be better to move up to a X300. Twenty years ago I owned a 200 series John Deere, I don't remember which model right off but it was a single cylinder Kawasaki engine with a hydrostatic that was controled from a fender mount lever. I foolishly sold it as at the time I didn't have a lot of use for it. After three years I only had 27 hours on it. For the last ten years I have been using my fathers old Agway tractor. A 12.5 horse BS and manual shift. To engage the blade you move a lever that lowers the deck that sets the mowing depth. The brake pedal is on the left side. So my new machine is much different.
I got my new tractor about a week ago. As I said, it is quite a bit different than the Agway tractor. I've hit the deck lift pedal instead of the brake a couple of times. Hard to break old habits. Did you ever do something so stupid that you shouldn't tell anyone but you do anyway? Well, I shouldn't share but I will just so everyone else doesn't feel so bad when they do something dumb. I have always cut my lawn short. But after reading much lately on how northern grasses should be cut higher and the best way to keep weeds down is to raise your mower deck I thought I would try cutting a little higher. So I set the heigth at 2.75". Right where you level the deck. The grass hadn't grown much since I last cut it but I had to try out my new tractor. I engaged the blade and started mowing a section of yard. As I looped around I could hardly tell where I had just mowed. Only the tops of the dandalions (sp) were cut. I'm thinking to myself, 2.75 inches must be higher than I thought. So I reached down and turned the knob to 2.5". Started mowing again but still saw little difference. I got to the driveway, turned the PTO off and went to raise the deck. Guess what? It was already in the raised position. Hmmm!! No wonder it was hard to tell where I mowed. :duh: Like I said previously, the mower I used for the last 10 years engaged when you lowered the deck and that pedal on the left was the brake. I know, stupid excuse but I was trying to make myself feel better. Could just be old age too. But on the bright side, I got to ride my new tractor longer and do that section all over again. And yes, it did make a difference with the blades lower. So far I am very pleased with it. Just have to get use to the new controls.
Yesterday I bought the 10P Cart to use with it. Now I can do more work around the yard.
Thanks again for the great site.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:MTF_wel2: and enjoy your new tractor. slkpk

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new tractor.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Welcome aboard. Do share how you enjoy your new rig. :MTF_wel2:

·
Registered
78 Posts
:MTF_wel: There are a bunch of X300 owners on here so you will be right at home. Congrats on the new machine!:wwp:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Welcome from a fellow newbie and X300 owner and congrats on your new X300 :MTF_wel:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Any opinion on the JD X300 compared to the Simplicity Regent? I am looking at both and some have said that both are pretty close in quality, but the Regent has a much better deck and cuts much better. Both are about the same price.

Any opinions would be welcome.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts