My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to pick up a project vintage garden tractor. Something like a JD 112 or a wheel horse 856 (or similiar).

Just started to do my homework on garden tractors, and enjoy wrenching as a hobby, especially during the michigan winter months.

Previous projects like old Triumph motorcycle resto, old Ford pickup (1969 f-100) resto, vintage dirt bikes, vintage stereo equipment (tube type an solid state). Hobbies vary, but I enjoy the challenge of learning and taking on something new. I enjoy messing with gas and diesel engines. 2 and 4 strokers.

My regular riding mower (poulan 14 hp hydrostatic drive) is getting old, and will need to be replaced in the next year or two, so I thought about getting a real garden tractor that was built back when they built stuff to last. I figure I would get the added benifit of a PTO as well, and add attachments as I go along.

Yes, I would restore a vintage garden tractor and make it my "daily driver" for mowing, snow blowing and snow plowing.

Anyways, just saying "hello", nice forum. Open to suggestions on what model to "shop for". Don't know much more than "I want one". Thanks, YD

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,557 Posts

We are glad to have you join us. There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here at MTF, so enjoy all the different forums.
Check out ”Active Topics” near the top left of the page for all the latest activity.

Don't forget to register what State/Country that you are from..CLICK HERE

·
Registered
498 Posts
:MTF_wel2:
Good luck with your search, that is part of the fun of collecting these for me

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Keep an eye out for a Bolens. There were a large range of models made in the 60's and 70's and they are fairly cheap.

Jason

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Id go with sears.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks for the greetings.

I want to find a tractor that is fairly common so parts are easier to get. I originally liked the JD112, but then started to take an interest into the wheel horse line. I like the styling of the older wheel horse like the commando 8. Also, for some reason, I have it in my mind that tractors should be red??

Not sure if electric lift vs hydraulic lift are any better, 3 speeds, 6 speeds, 8 speeds, hydro drive, etc. Like I said, I have very little clue at this point.

I will start looking at the ones you suggested and see if anything catches my eye. I was thinking about $500 to get one that runs and is all there.

I don't care if I have to "rebuild" as I plan on that anyways. As long as I can get the parts, I am good with that. Thanks, YD

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Hey, thanks for the greetings.

I want to find a tractor that is fairly common so parts are easier to get. I originally liked the JD112, but then started to take an interest into the wheel horse line. I like the styling of the older wheel horse like the commando 8. Also, for some reason, I have it in my mind that tractors should be red??

Not sure if electric lift vs hydraulic lift are any better, 3 speeds, 6 speeds, 8 speeds, hydro drive, etc. Like I said, I have very little clue at this point.

I will start looking at the ones you suggested and see if anything catches my eye. I was thinking about $500 to get one that runs and is all there.

I don't care if I have to "rebuild" as I plan on that anyways. As long as I can get the parts, I am good with that. Thanks, YD
I just want to mention that if you do get a Bolens, I can supply many parts for you. There arealso many other places that supply new parts as well.

Good luck with finding a tractor!
Jason

·
Super Moderator
16,490 Posts
Welcome to the Forum:MTF_wel:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts