My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
20,091 Posts
I HATE mice,they destroy everything...had the little bastids nest in my tractor engines,my truck ,and some even got in my house in recent years,I caught half a dozen over the past winter ..

I'm hoping the Kohler magnum in my Yard-Man I've left sleeping in my shed for 4 years with 4 flats wont have the same issue as yours...again...

First time I let it sit maybe a year,after I got another mowing tractor,it's steering gears were "skipping",and decided to inflate the tires,and use it to grind a path thru the overgrowth in the wooded areas of my yard..only got a few feet out of the shed before I smelled death,and saw blood dripping out from under the blower housing..

Found a decapitated mouse head and a torso that got ground up in the flywheel lying under the engine and I wasn't up to dismantling the covers off the engine (a hours long task,without pulling the engine out),so I just flushed it out best I could with the garden hose,then the air hose at full pressure..after that I had good air flow blowing out of the shrouds on both sides and a lot of nest crap blew out..

It took two years for it not to smell like death every time I started it though..the engine has had some weird stalling issues at times since,I think the mice may have chewed up the coil or plug wires,but it runs great right up until it wants to quit,and choking it doesn't always make it want to stay running--it requires a "rest" for a few minutes,then it'll start again and run good ,sometimes for an hour,other times a few minutes ..gets plenty of gas,I even tried gravity feeding it with another tank..it may have to have the fuel pump hooked up,some wont run right without one,and the pulse pump on this Kohler is a miserable (censored) to get at ..I even tried using an electric fuel pump for awhile,that did make it run good without stalling,but ethanol killed it in less than a year..so it has been left in the shed since...been wanting to get it going again,the overgrowth is really thick this year..

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yesterday I got as much of the nest as I could out of the fins with a wire and an air nozzle. I loaded it on the trailer and took it to the quarter car wash, sprayed it with degreaser and tried to wash the pee smell off of it. Not a total success but it is better. I replaced the tins and cover then took the muffler to get it welded up. Before picture in post #10. I had to heat the flat part of the muffler up and do a little adjusting to get everything lined up. Probably won't get anything done on it today, have to find a patch a hole in the grand daughters bouncy house.
Cannon

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I got a little more done yesterday. I tied into the start wire coming off the switch but it still wouldn't engage the starter. I removed the switch, cleaned all the terminals and it's working now. I tried to change the fuel filter but the old gas line broke off when I tried to get the filter out of it. I removed the fender pan and tank to change the fuel line but found a lot of crap packed around the trans. I guess the next step is the pressure washer. One rear tire was going flat every 2 days so I put a tube in it. I was just going to get it in the garage and put the deck on it but can't quit finding stuff to fix.
Cannon

·
Registered
408 Posts
all the hydro trans upper pulleys are worn, its a big issue with them and also they want you to put synthetic engine oil in them .

·
15,000 +posts!
20,091 Posts
Our feral cat has cut down on the mice.

I had quite a few feral kitties ,but they are all gone now ,one by one they died of old age or vanished,I think coyotes got some that were 15+ years old and failing..only one left is now at my next door neighbors house,she was sharing the chore & expense of feeding all them,she managed to coax it into her basement,now its spending more time indoors,but still likes to go out snooping,yesterday I saw it cross the street--I hated seeing that,she is about deaf and traffic flies by here way over the speed limit..her mouse catching days are over I'm afraid..

I saw a large garter snake about a week ago on my way back from getting my mail out of the box..
Hoping it'll find its way to my sheds and start reducing any new mice population increases before they set up housekeeping in my tractor engines again..I'm not that fond of snakes,but they at least dont destroy everything you own..

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I finished getting it back together this morning and mower about 2 hours with it. It was a little more work than I expected but sometimes that happens. No good comes of letting a 20 year mower set for 2 years.
Cannon

41 - 47 of 47 Posts