My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got it for $50 and sold it for $350 on eBay lol[/QUOTE said:
Ata Boy. I have an LT160 that I like but it takes a long time to get started and the welded fenders seem like a design flaw to me.
Cannon

·
Penn State Puller!
2,795 Posts
Ata Boy. I have an LT160 that I like but it takes a long time to get started and the welded fenders seem like a design flaw to me.
Cannon
Just one way they cheapened them up I guess. They did something similar with the STX's, but then again, they are entry-level machines. The hard starting seems to be a common issue with the Kohler Commands. This thing was getting plenty of fuel, air, and spark but it just wouldn't fire. Sure enough, a quick carb rebuild did the trick and it was probably the easiest carburetor I've ever worked on.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The Kohler Commands are definitely my favorite single. I've got 3 currently.
+1, I've bought a couple of old Craftsman mowers that were past saving just for the CV's. I would have put one in this LX if I didn't have the Kawa.
Cannon

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Today I found another loose connector and that fixed the kill wire. Now it will crank and stop with the switch. I removed the broken steering wheel and loosened the dash so I could get the throttle cable out. There were a bunch of broken parts on the dash and throttle housing. I found a regular throttle lever, made a piece to bridge the opening and mounted a throttle assembly. I had to run a slot up some for the new lever to engage the choke. I had a steering wheel off a 111 that I put back on instead of the broken one. This thing is looking rougher every day. It really needs a new dash panel but that's unlikely.
Cannon

Attachments

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I have an LX178 dash that's in good shape. Too bad you aren't closer.

Your wood working table would need a good bit of triangular bracing to withstand 600 to 700+ lbs on top.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Google Euro Spares bike stand plans . This stand design would require some extra 2x4 braces and maybe use some 2x4's to brace the work surface as its only rated at 400 lbs. also need to adjust the dimensions for our use.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This morning I aired up the tires, sharpened the blades and put the deck on. After adjusting it I mowed the road side in front of the house. My wife sarcastically refers to this as my "Victory Lap". I need to put the LX muffler back on with the heat shields but that pretty much gets it running and mowing. I'm thinking I won't sell this one, I have other stuff I like less. Now to find a dry place to keep it.
Ray, that stand reminds me of something they had at a car dealership here several years ago. It was made of metal and they would drive trucks up on it and it tipped forward onto the front legs.
Cannon

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Ray, that stand reminds me of something they had at a car dealership here several years ago. It was made of metal and they would drive trucks up on it and it tipped forward onto the front legs.
Cannon
Same idea. The work stand has the rear leg to lock the work surface in the horizontal orientation.

Btw, I'm glad my wife isn't sarcastic ! :sidelaugh

Also, you must be like me. A unit lives outside for years but once I buy it it's got to live indoors ! :fing32:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I got "Domestic Abuse" back in the garage yesterday. There was to much noise when I let the clutch out. The new idler pulleys came in so I wanted to see if that would quieten it down. The flat idler was flopping around and I thought it was just loose but when I tightened the new one down the bracket was still moving in the slot. I added a washer so it would tighten up. I don't have an LX tech manual but I'm wondering why this flat idler bolt is in a slot and how you know where it should be. There is also a lot of noise when the deck is engaged. I checked the deck over and can't find anything but the bearings in the PTO sound dry. I removed the seals on the PTO bearings and added some wheel bearing grease, if that doesn't help I'll replace them. The new engine hasn't charged the battery sense I put it in. The pigtail between stator and harness on both engines were the same so I hooked it up like it was. I found a burnt connector on one of the wires at the voltage regulator, I believe it one of the wires from the stator.
Cannon
As I was posting pictures I noticed the counter sink in the spacer on the idler. I'm thinking that should go up to clear the square shoulders on the bolt. I'm thinking the washer was not necessary, the spacer was/is just upside down. I think I put it back the way I took it off but that's the kind of thing I can mess up. I'll fix that today.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I just come in from removing the washer I put on and turning the spacer over. It tightened up fine.
Cannon

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
That slot is for belt adjustment. On a new belt you put the pulley at the loose end of the slot and for a used belt you move the pulley iin the direction to take slack out of the belt.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I got Domestic Abuse back in the garage yesterday to see if I could get it charging. The wire at the burned place in the connector is bad. I had a kohler regulator I had bought for one of my Commands so I rigged it up. I figured out from the wiring diagram which wires were from the stator and which was the DC out. I need to get some shielded terminals but I have (at the battery) 14.6 running and 14.7 with the PTO on. The deere voltage regulator may be good but I have no idea how to check it with the connector block damaged. I'm going to replace the exposed terminals before I use it but unless something happens I'll probably use it with the Kohler regulator for now. Maybe I can come up with a connector from a kohler engine for the regulator.
Cannon

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Another LX176 "Domestic Abuse"

Haha Are you naming your LX176 "Domestic Abuse"? Lol Sure looks like it fits

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
You can run a wire from the center terminal on the VR straight to the positive post on the batt ( or to the hot wire on the solenoid for a more sanitary appearance ).

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
You can run a wire from the center terminal on the VR straight to the positive post on the batt ( or to the hot wire on the solenoid for a more sanitary appearance ).
Yea, that would look a lot better. There is a red wire on the battery cable with a connector on it. Looks like the wire I’m using goes back to it. I'm sure that would be a better connection. I did find a kohler connector for the regulator, that will help to.
Cannon

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
This morning I cut and spliced in the kohler regulator connector from a blown Courage I had. I intended to move the power out to another place but didn't, the old connector was handy and that's where the power went into the harness before. Battery still at 14.59 running. I'm going to mow the yard with it later and see if everything goes alright. This thing is never going to be pretty but it can be functional.
Cannon

Attachments

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I haven't used this mower in a few years so yesterday I moved it from the shed into the garage. After putting a battery in it I tried the switch and it clicked but didn't engage the starter. I got a jumper and went from Battery + to solenoid and it started, using a bottle of fresh gas on the fuel pump. Crap started flying everywhere along with the strong smell of rodent pee. This morning I removed the cover and started cleaning the nest out. I'm going to try yo get it to where I can use it some this summer.
Cannon

21 - 40 of 47 Posts