My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this tractor off Craigslist this afternoon.John Deere LX176 riding mower I ask the guy if the engine blew up and he said "No it was just hard to start". Ask if he had the missing parts " Yes but there no good, here they are". I have never named a project before but this one has earned it.
Cannon

Attachments

·
Michael
2,922 Posts
WOW he really did a number on that one. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to work on things. Did he beat the starter with a hammer until it broke off?

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,880 Posts
I think the PO was born a few millennium late, based on their use of only one tool to coup with tractor issues. IE (if you don't work, then beat the F*** out of it!!!)

So is it a parts tractor or a project: (Frankenstein Resurrection)

Beat on starter
Beat on fuel solenoid/fuel bowl
Beat on steering wheel/dash

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whys youse buys dese thangs ?
You and my wife wonder the same thing. I do have a complete 14 hp Kawa engine from a 175 and the deck looks good. Also, I'm retired and Gota have something to do. I usually get them running and make a few dollars if I don't count my time. The starter has been beat on with a hammer, the carb bowl busted and I didn't get the shroud but it was beat nearly flat. He had some boys running around there but my money is on the guy who owned it being the abuser.
Cannon

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Wow Cannon, think this is the worst temper tantrum I ever saw!? Knowing you, it will be going soon!! :)

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts

Wonder if he has some kin up here.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This morning I went out and took the deck off. With a putty knife and welding brush I got a 2 gallon bucket full of caked grass off the underside of it. This is probably the best deere deck I have ever gotten on a cheap mower. Then I started on the engine. I got the clutch off easy enough but couldn't move the drive pulley. Every Kawasaki I have worked on I have bent the pulley trying to get it off. This time I drilled two 1/4 holes across from each other and used a different puller. Oddly enough I was tightening the puller up by hand before using a wrench and it broke loose and pulled off. After I got the engine out I removed the muffler and found the header pipe in a large hole. I've never seen this type muffler before but don't think that is right. Also discovered that the throttle cable is not working. This is actually the part I like most about these craigslist mowers, taking them apart and seeing what is wrong with them. It's like a $100 scratch off ticket that you get to play for a few days.
Cannon

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
This is actually the part I like most about these craigslist mowers, taking them apart and seeing what is wrong with them. It's like a $100 scratch off ticket that you get to play for a few days.
Cannon

Dad and I picked up a LT160 last May on craigslist for $100. The hood was broke, the exhaust was broke off, two bolts holding the engine in were loose, seller said it wouldn't cut so we looked into that, the belt was the wrong one, nails instead of pins holding the deck on, steering needed a bushing, and it needed a battery. Fixed everything but the hood. Sold it for about a $100 more than we had into it and had some fun along the way. Was tempted to keep the thing around except neither one of us needed or wanted a 42" deck machine.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the other engine set in and drove it around a few minutes. The trans seems a little slow in reverse but does fine in forward. I used the old muffler that was on the 175, it started smoking about half way through the test drive. It smelled more like a brush fire than oil. It kept smoking about 10 minutes after I shut the engine off so I'm wondering if I had a rodent roast. I charged up the battery that come with it and it's cranked the engine 3 or 4 times. I noticed a flat spot on one of the plastic idlers while I had it standing up, one front tire goes flat in no time and the switch does not kill the engine. I need to clean the deck up a little more and sharpen the blades before I put it back on to make sure the PTO works and deck cuts ok. I used a jumper wire to the solenoid to crank it, God knows whats going on with the wiring. I used a Seafoam can for a gas tank, the one under the seat has about an inch of sludge in the bottom. Problems aside, there's a lot to like about these LX's.
Cannon

Attachments

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
My first repower was an LX178. Of course, it being me,,, I had to make a muffler.

They do make nice mowers. I used mine for about 3 years. Then repowered it again with a Kohler Command single cyl motor, dash and wiring harness [ AND MUFFLER !! AND LOWER HOOD !!!!!] off an LX173 that had a bad tranny. Sold it about 2 years ago. Just saw it on CL again last week. Price has went up $500 :). They did put an upper hood on it.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish I had the skill to made a good muffler. New Deere mufflers are expensive and mufflers from cheaper tractors are usually loud.
Cannon

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I don't actually make a muffler. I take the factory muffler for the chassis and cut up spare head pipes to fit the ex port to the original muffler. That 175 muffler looks like a good one, big and round. Does need a heat shield under the carb.

On my GX repowers I get factory mufflers and heat shields off later 325's so the conversion looks factory. I get them off Ebay for about $60 for the set. You can't afford that and still make money.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
You should make yourself a "lift" table. You probably already have some ramps. Some 2x4's and some plywood and some gray floor paint..... About 30" high. Makes working on them much more pleasant.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe I could convert my woodworking bench, I haven't seen the top of it in 2 years. I have looked at the harbor freight motorcycle lifts bit they don't look wide enough.
Cannon

Attachments

·
Penn State Puller!
2,795 Posts
Glad to see you're breathing life back into that LX176. I was never really a fan of the LT/LX series tractors until I impulse-bought one from a neighbor two years ago. I only had it for a month and a half but it was a very fun machine to use and was probably the best running machine I've ever had. Didn't need anything except the blades sharpened and I swapped the seat from my LT133 because it was in better shape. I also "cleaned up" the hood cause it had duct tape residue all over it. Thing had lots of power and I could climb steep hills and pull wheelies with it easily. Was a pretty neat machine, even compared to my LA150. I just wish it was a liquid-cooled LX178 or LX188 with the 48" deck because then I would have sold my LA150 and kept it. Very sturdy machine. A REAL lawn tractor. I thought it was an ugly duckling cause of the hood and the duct-taped seat, but the hood wasn't broken as bad as some of the machines I've seen. :hide: I sold it to a guy who replaced the hood and muffler.

20140830_131425.jpg

20140830_131437.jpg

20140830_131550.jpg

20140830_131452.jpg

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Michael: I watched the 2 youtube videos you did on it a few days ago. Yours was in much better shape than this one. What did you think of the Lt133 compared to the LX? I didn't do much on it today. I took the tube out of the front tire and patched it, it seems to be holding air now. I took a rag and a dowel rod and moped out the tank, installed a new fuel filter, poured fuel in and ran it a while. I've got it cranking with the key, the PTO connector was loose. Still won't turn off with the key. I slid the deck under it but haven't hooked it up. I looked up the part number of the busted throttle cable, $25. Probably going to cobble something up since the dash is busted anyway and I have several regular cables from scraped tractors.
Cannon

·
Penn State Puller!
2,795 Posts
Michael: I watched the 2 youtube videos you did on it a few days ago. Yours was in much better shape than this one. What did you think of the Lt133 compared to the LX? I didn't do much on it today. I took the tube out of the front tire and patched it, it seems to be holding air now. I took a rag and a dowel rod and moped out the tank, installed a new fuel filter, poured fuel in and ran it a while. I've got it cranking with the key, the PTO connector was loose. Still won't turn off with the key. I slid the deck under it but haven't hooked it up. I looked up the part number of the busted throttle cable, $25. Probably going to cobble something up since the dash is busted anyway and I have several regular cables from scraped tractors.
Cannon
The LT133 was a mess compared to the LX176. The LT133 was all metric bolts and metric parts and I was surprised to find the fenders welded to the frame. It needed a new drive belt which meant the pulleys all had to come out, plus it needed a new coil and a couple tire tubes. I also patched and sprayed the mower deck with a shot of yellow. The hood ended up being junk so I just got rid of it. I did put a new battery in it and rebuilt the carburetor since it took 5 minutes of cranking to start. After that it started right up as soon as you hit the key. Got it for $50 and sold it for $350 on eBay lol

1 - 20 of 47 Posts