My Tractor Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
This morning I sanded down the JB Weld and put a coat of Yellow paint on it, not Deere yellow but close enough. Lubed the bushings on the stack pulley and checked the idlers and spindles. The flat idler didn't look like the ones on my other decks, to wide and was 1/8 loose on the bolt. I have the deck off one of my GT235's striped down so I went and got the idler pulley and hardware from it. The LX277 is on the back burner so this deck will probably go on the GT235. I think I've it in working condition for the coming year.
Cannon
Yellow Motor vehicle Gas Rim Auto part
Yellow Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire

·
Registered
248 Posts
I got the Zero turn deck cleaned up and brought in the Lx277 deck. I usually take deck welding jobs to someone but sometimes I get to thinking that maybe I can do it with my cheapo HF wire welder. I obviously shouldn't be allowed to own a welder but maybe I have it patched up enough to get another year or 2 out of it. I made a patch for the inside, welded a crack on both sides and used JB Weld to fill the holes outside the patch. There was about an 1/8 inch gap between the patch and the deck shell at the holes. I thought the JB might keep water out of the gap. As you can see I'm not above trying a Half-fast repair.
Cannon
I am like you Cannon. I can weld, but I am NOT a welder. I had to weld two spots on my LX277 deck also.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I did put this deck on the last GT235 I bought. I used it yesterday at my son's house and it did a good job. Apparently the grass doesn't care that it has a bad patch job on it.
Cannon

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I got a chance to piddle around with the LX277 engine some this morning. I had intended to swap the coils from side to side to see if the problems followed the coil. I may still need to do this but I did get it to run some on the bad cylinder.
It smoked some when running on the bad cylinder and there was some oil on the plug when I checked it afterwards. I'm thinking it may have a bad head gasket. Agree or disagree? both coils show spark with a spark tester.
Cannon

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I'm going to do some clean up before I put the engine back on the frame. I need to clean the gas tank out and replace the fuel lines while I have it apart. The front axle has a lot of slop in it, may need a bushing. It sure is nasty, I don't think the fender pan has ever been off.
Cannon
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sculpture Wheel
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Tool Gas

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I just washed mine once, I've already found more nastiness. I got it in the garage and removed the front axle, It was rocking back and forth about a 1/2 inch. I got it apart and found that the pin is worn and the pads are worn down to where the axle is rubbing on the frame. I haven't got the axle bushings out yet The axle to spindle bushings are also worn out. The parts are only going to be about $200, $160 for the pin.
Cannon
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Synthetic rubber Cylinder Rim
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I got the axle torn apart this morning. I went by the Deere dealer yesterday and got the spindle bushings but he didn't have the pads. I'll order them along with the rubber caps for the spindles and anything else.
Cannon
Automotive tire Tread Gas Audio equipment Auto part

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I finely got this thing put back together. I replaced the fuel line and tank bushing while I had the fender pan off. I replaced the spindle bushings in the front axle and tightened the pivot bolt some, that took a lot of the play out of the axle. I put a 38 inch deck on it and will keep the 48 that came off of it for my GT. I can hear the left cylinder cut out sometimes but it's running better, I hope it's just a sticky valve. I mowed a small section of grass with it and it ran the 38 inch deck fine. I put it on Craigslist for about what I have in it, getting the 48 inch deck has some value. I got 5 or 6 text about it soon after but all wanted to send me a code, they were afraid I was a scammer. It may be to late in the year to sell a mower. I did remove the vice grips and put bolts in the battery cables.
Cannon
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Lawn mower

41 - 50 of 50 Posts