My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead3:dunno::confused:

Now that I have everything funcitoning correctly on the 416-H I discovered one of my headlights was out. I bought a set of Wagner headlights for it and they (as far as I know) are the correct ones. I replaced them both as a set and when the key is off they work(ed) fine.

I start the tractor, rev it up and flip the lights and...............

the motor dies the same as if someone flipped off the ignition switch!!!!!!!!!!!!:crybaby:

Each has their own connection for power and ground, even though they both lead to the same wire. I also tried disconnecting the one headlight and it worked which leads me to believe the one original bulb was not bad at all.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
It's grounding out and shutting the engine off. Back to the drawing board. Disconnect the wires and put them back on one at a time until you find Mr. bad wire. :thThumbsU

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
I'm not positive, but I don't think you can say @&%$ on this forum.

Do you have a schematic for your tractor?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's grounding out and shutting the engine off. Back to the drawing board. Disconnect the wires and put them back on one at a time until you find Mr. bad wire. :thThumbsU
Going to try and track it down tomorrow. I am leaning toward the key switch though.

The lights both work when the key is on, but light switch acts as a dead man switch when you turn it on while running.

The light wiring harness is factory and since each light has it own "+" and "-" lead off of the wiring harness. Its basically a "Y" with power and ground coming from the same lead. Unless it is in the plastic connector block itself where the headlights plug into the wiring harness, I cant see any place else besides the switch it could be bad.

Curiouser and curiouser said Alice's horse.....

Ill keep yall informed and updated!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not positive, but I don't think you can say @&%$ on this forum.

Do you have a schematic for your tractor?
Yes Sir, indeed I do. I am as I stated before, schematically challenged, but the only wires off of the harness is a ground and a lead that turns into a "Y". Each bulb has one power and one ground from the same feed wire.

I just had an epiphany a little while ago. It just may be in the plastic connector from the engine wiring to the lights. If not, It probably is the toggle itself or the key switch.

One other symptom.....When you hit the lights and the tractor turns off, you have to turn the key OFF for about two seconds before it will crank again. If you dont "reset" the switch, it wont even attempt to crank or fire up.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
The light wiring harness is factory and since each light has it own "+" and "-" lead off of the wiring harness. Its basically a "Y" with power and ground coming from the same lead. !
I can't be hearing this right. Your saying that those little electrons are doing a U turn through the bulb and heading back up the same wire? Say...wait a minute!!! How dumb do I look?:Disgus:

·
Member #495
3,827 Posts
My lights don't work on my 416-8 when the key is off. Only when the key is on. I agree with Orange jd, you have to find the wire that is grounding you. Just trace your schematic start at the lights and follow. Watch for a bare wire somewhere, I found a few on my 520H recently that had copper showing. It happens, somehow, but it happens.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't be hearing this right. Your saying that those little electrons are doing a U turn through the bulb and heading back up the same wire? Say...wait a minute!!! How dumb do I look?:Disgus:
Waaaaaaaait a second Lily'sDad. I never said that! (I may have implied it a little, lol!) I really dont know WHAT is going on.

I thought about hooking them up in series so both have the same pos and neg connections and see what that does. I have also toyed with the idea of making a grounding point on the hood like the older C series horses (C-101 etc...).

On the bright side, it HAS to be up front in that part of the harness or connection. Since I couldnt get the healights up and running, I installed new double bulb tail lights and flashing unit which are operated by the same switch and THEY WORK! This was AFTER the fact of dealing with the headlight situation so I know they are unrelated.

I just wish little things like this didnt keep me up at night, lol!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My lights don't work on my 416-8 when the key is off. Only when the key is on.
Hi there MrWiggles!!!----Same here, but when the engine is running and I turn them on, it kills the engine. When the engine is NOT running but the key is ON, the headlights work. At least the tail lights working off fo the toggle lets me know the problem is not in the switch.

The headlights look dimmer than normal to me at least in the daytime with the new bulbs. Since they are new bulbs and I never had a full set working on this thing, I have no idea of how much illumination these things will give off with round headlights in a square housing.

(By the way, Im still waiting for the next vid:thThumbsU)

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
The Charging system and the ignition all run off the same fuse/breaker.

If you are overloading the system with the lights on, it could theoretically kill spark.

Ill say this for certain. When I tried to jump off my Deere, using my 416-H...I overloaded the charging system and the fuse was defective. It didnt blow...the stator shorted and it finally blew the fuse, engine died, would not crank.

Put in new fuse..popped as soon as key on. unplugged center wire at regulator, and it fired right up..and everything works, but it isnt charging, got to put on a new stator.

Check your fuses just forward of the battery, remove them, blow out the fuse block, etc..

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will do that Red. I dont understand how I can be overloading the system (unless I DO have a ground or fuse problem) with only two stock headlights. The tail lights werent hooked up when I installed the headlights so there has to be a problem in that particular section of charging/power wires backfeeding from the headlights or a grounding out.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
If the lights are on, key off...can you crank the engine while the lights are on?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If the lights are on, key off...can you crank the engine while the lights are on?
Nope, not one bit. Its like there is no battery or the battery is totally dead. Also if I do that, not only will it not crank, but the lights will not work once I hit the key. I have to turn the key and lights off, wait about two seconds and hit the key. Thats what I meant by waiting for a ignition "reset", otherwise it wont start.

Only when I turn the lights off can I crank the engine over, and then it will start right up. And yes, the battery have a totally full charge on it.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
That's what I meant by waiting for a ignition "reset", otherwise it wont start.

That right there is telling me you have a breaker inline that has to cool off. So when you turn on the lights it is shorting out that breaker.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey J D----Not trying to be stupid (it comes naturally most times) but what breaker(s)? You mean the fuses and fuse box itself or do you mean something else? I have the schematic and there are no breakers labled. only the safety switches, fuses and all that jazz.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Hey J D----Not trying to be stupid (it comes naturally most times) but what breaker(s)? You mean the fuses and fuse box itself or do you mean something else? I have the schematic and there are no breakers labled. only the safety switches, fuses and all that jazz.
Ok these Breakers are not used that much on these tractors, But I have seen them. They are a little metal box about 1" long 1/2" high & about 1/4" wide and will have 2 post on top for wires to hook to. And they should be out in the open where you can see it. I hope this helps. You have a wire going to ground shorting out. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok these Breakers are not used that much on these tractors, But I have seen them. They are a little metal box about 1" long 1/2" high & about 1/4" wide and will have 2 post on top for wires to hook to. And they should be out in the open where you can see it. I hope this helps. You have a wire going to ground shorting out. Good Luck.
Ah, I gotcha now. I havent seen any yet but that doesnt mean they cant be hinding somewhere. I have seen those on other newer tractors, but not on anything I have so far.

Time to break out the multi-meter!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts