My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe it was Dave who made up the "H.A.H.N" acronym, much like Gravely's "G.A.S", which was "Have to Acquire Another Hahn Now", and it has struck again. I spent the weekend at the Evansville, Indiana show which for those who don't know is where the Hahn machines were built so we get plenty of ex employees and people bringing pieces to sell us. My family and I arrived Thursday night with my RMD and my Dad's Whiz Mow in tow and were relaxing at the Hahn display with our friend Zac when a fellow with a dual axle trailer pulled in loaded with machines and we both noticed it had Hahns on board, one being the RMD. The guy pulled up to our display and said he knew we were the guys to talk to, the 2 machines were rough but one was a LTD 500 RER which we were told was a test mule for the larger HP engines, and the other the rough 5hp RMD 400. (both can be seen here with mine hooked to the adult beverage cart)

20170608_195303[1].jpg

Zac made a deal with the guy on both and he kept joking about how "that RMD has to go back to the Great White North with you instead of me". I thought I would be responsible and not bring it home, until my Mom said for the price I should at least get it for parts, she used to be my voice of reason :dunno:. So Friday I paid Zac and it was mine, he said he had to go back down there next weekend and can bring it back to his place in Michigan for me then. The $30 for it traded hands and I was now the proud owner. The PO said it sat in his barn for years and it shows, someone did duct tape over the carb intake so no junk got in there, the white engine is gone so I believe it is repowered. I bought a used blower shroud and recoil for $10 at the show for the 5hp engine that is on it so all that is missing is the seat cover and the deck lift lever must have broke and gotten lost in it's life so the ratchet strap will work for transport now. Enough talk, here are some pictures!

The "HL-126" model was the lesser model having the lower horsepower engine, and semi pneumatic tires as opposed to my other RMD that has a 7hp engine and "normal" tires. According to some paperwork I have this machine also is a 1974 or 1975 model, but I believe this one is a '74 judging by the large serial number gap between my 2 machines. So I now have one of each variant sold, even though some had electric start but came in the same model designations.

The machine looks sad, but the deck blade it good and it has the chute deflector and bagger bars. Most of it looks to just be dirt and barn grime, so once it lands here we plan to give it a bath and assess it. It may be used for parts (since that lift lever may be a unicorn to find), or we had talked about removing the deck and getting the mower running and speeding it up a little but time will tell. We have plenty of irons in the fire, but what is 1 more when the fire is going :sidelaugh

EDIT: looks like my pictures didn't come thru, will try again after :sorry1:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,576 Posts
Mikey, if anyone deserved a Hahn acronym, it's you.:tango_face_grin: That's a neat little Hahn that you picked up. I have a feeling that you will wind up with another running tractor to bring to next year's show instead of a parts machine.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,025 Posts
Nice acquisition Mike.....

I think your Mom is just glad you don't collect Corvettes..... or in your families case Mustangs.

A buck says you have it running before the snow flies.

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mikey, if anyone deserved a Hahn acronym, it's you.:tango_face_grin: That's a neat little Hahn that you picked up. I have a feeling that you will wind up with another running tractor to bring to next year's show instead of a parts machine.
Nice acquisition Mike.....

I think your Mom is just glad you don't collect Corvettes..... or in your families case Mustangs.

A buck says you have it running before the snow flies.
Thanks guys. I believe you are right and it will live again. I am not letting us start another project until we finish what we have going, but we will see how that goes :sidelaugh. We have the HH100 to finish, the Sears, and we bought a little butt buggy cart for my Mom that needs a little rework to make sure it is good to go if we go to any more shows. It had some bad welds by the PO, but for the price the brand new wheels, good seat and seat spring made it a good price. I dragged it around with my RMD all weekend (don't have a picture as we took it apart to fit it in the truck

Yesterday Zac returned to his home in Michigan and to our surprised he fit the RMD in his load home, so yesterday afternoon we shot over and picked it up. The customs officer could not have cared less as we came back in 5 o'clock work traffic. We got it unloaded tonight but have not looked at it really. Cleaned out the motor with the air compressor and pushed it in the garage. The picture is loaded up and heading back to Canada

20170612_153533[1].jpg

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A friend of ours who owns a local bar and grill was having trouble with his pressure washer and asked us to check it out for him. After a little work my Dad got it working while I was at work. Once we got it home we decided to test it out on RMD 2, and the results were quite shocking. We used some "Gunk" engine cleaner on the greasy areas and then just the pressure water (and some soap) on the rest of it.

20170614_190110[1].jpg
20170614_190122[1].jpg
20170614_190130[1].jpg

We also found some things to address, a crack in the frame near where the deck attaches and the deck lift handle, a good farmer fix of a nail holding on the left front tire, and all the wiring has been cut out also.

20170614_190158[1].jpg
20170614_190201[1].jpg
20170614_190422[1].jpg

We plan to drain the engine oil to stand the mower up in the barn to inspect the under side (we did a quick look at the show and found a couple interesting things) and that is how it will be stored until it's turn in the spotlight comes :)

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,025 Posts
Pretty clean lookin' machine Mike, especially for the age. They must have used darn good paint back then,:thThumbsU

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty clean lookin' machine Mike, especially for the age. They must have used darn good paint back then,:thThumbsU
Thanks Larry, I showed my Mom a picture because we had it in the garage and she couldn't believe it, said she thought it was my other one. Also just finished talking to my friend at the magazine, I will be writing up an article on the RMD 400 model :)

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled out both RMDs today for pictures for the magazine now that I have the written portion done. Before we took the pictures we grinded the groove that was needed in the blower shroud that I bought for the 5hp and got it installed. After that and a quick wipe down we took some pictures!

P6250407.JPG
P6250412.JPG

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plucked away a little at the RMD 2 today. We were tired of tripping over the chute deflector on the deck so I removed the whole deck. It was very painless, since Hahn designed all there stuff that you can almost disassemble everything with 3 sized wrenches. The deck looks to be in pretty good shape, even the original blade is good!

20170630_093026[1].jpg
20170630_093124[1].jpg

Also found some weird damage. When I pulled the cover that goes over the chain (and also one of the deck mounts) I saw the big chunk out of the frame, not sure how someone would even do that? Also noticed that all the welds on the rear frame section are cracked except 1. I think a PO was pulling large things with it, since there is a thick steel frame strengthener bolted to it. Nothing a little MIGing can't fix

20170630_093037[1].jpg
20170630_093734[1].jpg

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,025 Posts
That's a high lift blade :fing02: and I see it has bagger bars on the back.

More goodies to be in search of at the next get together.:tango_face_devil:

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a high lift blade :fing02: and I see it has bagger bars on the back.

More goodies to be in search of at the next get together.:tango_face_devil:
I believe the RMD was only sold with a high lift blade Larry, the original blade for my other one had it also even though it was in much poorer shape. Don't really have a need for the bagger, but you never know ;)

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, as you guys probably realized we are bad at leaving projects alone :sidelaugh.

We were working on some other stuff today and I looked at the HL-126 and noticed even more abuse, it is ripped around the front end, as well as the mid section and the gear shifter cover. I would love to know what they were doing with this poor thing. She will be glued back together with the MIG tho

20170702_120824[1].jpg
20170702_120838[1].jpg

Next I decided to pull the bagger bars off, I wanted to clean them up to put on the other RMD. I may have access to a sandblaster tomorrow so pulled them off and the back of the frame popped apart..... yep needs regluing

20170702_135331[1].jpg

And then we said, forget it lets see if we can get this thing to sputter. It had a weak spark so we pulled the flywheel and cover and found a bunch of crud in it

20170702_121859[1].jpg

After we cleaned that out it sputtered on WD40 which is always a good sign. Tossed some gas in the tank and a handful of pulls and some WD40 it fired and ran!

The good news is the motor sounds strong, it does need a carb rebuild tho. The transmission works in gears 1 thru 4 and reverse, but has no 5th gear (as can be seen in the video when it doesn't move :sidelaugh). The $40 investment isn't looking too bad so far!

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Another Case Of "H.A.H.N", 2nd RMD 400

Time to dredge up an old thread. This year is the 40th Anniversary show for SIAM, Southern Indiana Antique Machinery club as well as 10 years of the Lawn and Garden Tractor Extravaganza that is hosted in Evansville Indiana. We are hoping to have the largest Hahn display ever, so Pops and I were talking about what we were going to bring, along with our friends and we decided we wanted both RMDs there. So the RMD 2 is brought in to be resurrected. I have been busy but brought it in on Thursday and the inspector liked it. Pops has been working on it a bit, we found out why it had no 5th gear :hide:. Going to clean and inspect it to make sure no other gears suffered. The gas tank is in good shape and just needs a carb cleaning and diaphragm (which we have in stock). There was an interesting repair with those bearings. They were too small for the 2 mounting holes so it just got bolted on one end and welded on the other, I guess that is one way to do it :dunno:. They are in good shape so they will stay!

I decided I am going to pulley swap it to give it a little more scoot at the show. The top speed is 4.7 mph which is a bit slow even for these, so a bit quicker will be nice as a toy. This isn't a great original example so I do not mind not leaving it original

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Continued with demo this past weekend! Pulled the engine, diff, transmission and belt guide off to make it easier to clean and weld, as well as to inspect everything. I also snapped a pic of the massive steel hitch in the back. I plan to leave it as well as bolt in the holes for the bagger bars to give the rear frame extra support. Got the carb rebuilt, straightened some linkages, and got new governor springs since the originals were mangled

It is coming together :)

·
Premium Member
7,141 Posts
Cool to see this project resurrected! That awesome you're going to take it to the show. It's going to look fantastic when you guys are done with it! Looking forward to following along. :)

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,269 Posts
Way to get after it guys. That poor gear had seen better days :tango_face_surprise

Looking forward to the process..........and progress :tango_face_glasses:

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool to see this project resurrected! That awesome you're going to take it to the show. It's going to look fantastic when you guys are done with it! Looking forward to following along. :)
Way to get after it guys. That poor gear had seen better days :tango_face_surprise

Looking forward to the process..........and progress :tango_face_glasses:
Thanks guys! :)

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Dave! After working on the Sears fleet for the last while it's nice to be back working on some Hahn yellow

We took apart and inspected the rear diff today and all is well, the grease is even still good. It go reassembled and is ready to be put back in

1 - 20 of 27 Posts