My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just added a Bolens HT23 to my garden tractor collection. It is my 11th Bolens in a collection of 20 GT's.

I live in the UK where Bolens are very hard to find. This is the first time I have ever seen a large frame Bolens.

I am sure I will have lots of questions for the experts as I find my way around this tractor. I am already confused about the lift linkage.

My wife was not very convinced that I needed another tractor so all weekend I was using the HT23 to 'prove' how I couldn’t live without it. Only problem was I was towing a trailer and the tractor is missing the tow hitch so I had to attach the trailer with a chain! :hide:

Does anyone have any pictures of a HT23 tow hitch and ideally some measurements so I can make one.

Thanks
Iain

Attachments

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
It is my 11th Bolens in a collection of 20 GT's.
I think I see a possible reason why Bolens are getting hard to find in the UK.:ROF

Of course you needed the HT23, that should be obvious to anyone. You don't want to run any of the vintage GT's more than 2 weeks per year, and you are almost there.

But what are the others in your fleet? How do you keep them all under cover? :wwp:

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
Congratulations on getting an HT23! IMHO, the best of the bunch, with the possible exception of an HT20D.

Doug

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
very nice tractor........... the ht23 was the better tractor ht20d had problems with the injectors
What problems with the injectors? Do you speak from personal experience? Mine work fine.

Doug

·
Registered
21 Posts
The ht 20d were know for getting clogged or not working the best I've learned everything i know from my grandpa who worked at sonny bolens in indiana for 20+ years

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
Maybe mine are OK because I use a diesel fuel additive. I did need to get mine rebuilt (pricey) when I acquired the tractor. Before the rebuild, one of them was OK, the other pumped fuel like there was no tomorrow, so it definitely was not clogged, just stuck open.

Doug

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the delay in following up on this. I have been working all hours to make up for the day I had to take off work to pick up the HT23. It feels like I have worked a week extra to make up for one day.

C2H80 -I have a ride-a-matic, 600, 850, 1000, 1054, 2 - 1050 parts tractors and 3 - H16's. Lots of attachements including a FEL made by the UK importer. They are all undercover but I no longer have a workshop to work in!

Rcardo292 - Thanks for the picture that help a lot. Would you mind doing some measurements for me? Length and width of the hitch, how far from the bend to the start of the taper, diameter of the hole,distance from the hole to the end and thickness of the metal. I would like to make one as close to original as possible.

I used the HT23 lots at the weekend and I am still very happy with it. However I now have two jobs to do on it. I have a slight fuel leak and the high/low tranmission handle came off in my hand. How should this be fixed?

Thanks
Iain

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
The transmission handle is just a sort of push-in fit into the top of the transmission. It has a slot in the end to mate up with the flat-sided pin that selects high-neutral-low. So you just shove it back on through the hole on the fender. It should have a rubber collar around the handle below the fender so it will not come out so easily.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmm about that comment about the Bolens HT20D having bad injectors. Mine are now 29 years old and have never been serviced. They work perfectly. I have used the tractor many times every year and in fact today hauling stone with it. I left another post on this forum a few minutes ago about my tractor. I plan to sell it to some lucky fellow that wants a very nice HT 20D. Hey guys I have not been around for a while. Have finally decided to sell my Bolens HT20D. Am in the market for a new compact diesel with a loader. Have been looking for a loader for my HT20D for a long time but am unable to find one.
I bought this Bolens new here in NY and to the best of my knowledge there was only one other sold in NY. When I checked out the Bolens HT20D in 1981 I found out that the diesel engine alone was $5400 new. It is extensively used connected to a water pump and used to irrigate fields. So I bought it along with the belly mower, wheel weights, 3 point hitch, and snow blower which I sold 10 years ago. It was just to big. I drive this all around my propery and it runs just as well today as it did the day I bought it. Drew stone today for an irrigation ditch. It is very powerful and I have never had to use the low range eaton rear end in all of the years I have owned it. It has never been left outside and looks as new except for some rust on the muffler and a few welds there when some of the steel popped loose. There are two small dents in the rear fender from letting my grandson help me around here. With a small trailer I use he backed up on both sides and caught the corner of the trailer on the rear fender and pushed it in a very small amount. Other then that the paint is still shiney and it starts instantly with a little smoke which leaves when it is driven for a few minutes.

I also have all of the factory manuals for the tractor, mower and snow blower and some other implements. As far as I know I have the ONLY factory manuals for this tractor. They contain everything including exploded views and part numbers, and complete overhaul instructions for the Wisconsin engine (uses the same oil filter as a Ducati motorcycle), and everthing else. I will sell it for $3000 to the first person that contacts me for a sale. YOu will not be disappointed with this tractor.
Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a gorgeous HT23 for sale, new ag tires on seperate rims. 54 deck, 4 way plow, rear hydralics, weight plates, wheel weights, and a host of new parts including decals

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Warbucks, How many hours would you estimate is on that engine in your HT20D?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a gorgeous HT23 for sale, new ag tires on seperate rims. 54 deck, 4 way plow, rear hydralics, weight plates, wheel weights, and a host of new parts including decals
Still for sale, Dave? Where aare you located?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, still for sale, have a ton of interest, 2 seem serious, one person was previous owner before person I got it from, and he is desperate to have it back...haha. I am in East haven Ct.

Go to Craigslist, click on New Haven County in Connecticut, enter Bolens HT23, and it should pop right up. Trying to send you a link from Craigs, not working, sorry.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts