My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am a new member and have just picked up a MTD 990, 1979? SO I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THIS THREAD WITH GREAT INTEREST. EVERYTHING WORKS AND THE MACHINE RUNS GREAT FOR AN OLD GIRL. FRIST THING IS TO CHANGE ALL THA FLUIDS. THE HYDOSTAIC CALLS FOR SAE 20WT SE RATING. WE ALL KNOW THAT IS OUT. NOT MADE ANY MORE. YOU GUYS HAVE SUGGESTED EVERYTHING FROM 20/50 OIL TO TYPE F HYDO FLUID WITH SUCCESS. I JUST CALLED MY LOCAL GARDEN TRACTOR REPAIR SHOP, A PRIVTE OWNED ONE,
NICE GUY. HE BUYS AND REBUILDS A LOT OF CUB CADETS FROM THE 70'S AND 80'S HE SAYS THAT HE USE'S STRIGHT SAE 30 WT NON-DETERENT IN HIS HYDROSTATIC TRANS. WHEN HE CHANGES THE OIL.HAS DONE SO FOR THE LAST 10 YRS, AND HASENT LOST ONE YET. SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

IM GOING TO WAIT TO HERE FROM YOU ALL BECAUSE YOU POEPLE WORK YOUR 990'S. THANK YOU ALL

·
MTD 990 Twactor Guy
574 Posts
Hiya, jheck! :Welcome1:

Just picked up a 1982 990 a short time ago and ran into the same problem. Found out that 20 wt. non-detergent oil was a thing of the past. Asked a friend of mine what he was running in his Massey, and he said that it takes 30 wt., which you can buy anywhere. Made a trip to my local Farm & Fleet and asked a knowledgeable sales person what to use in an older garden tractor. He showed me a universal hydraulic fluid and told me that's what was recommended. I happily picked up a 2-gal. jug for $13 and headed back home - that should be a lifetime supply - I hope!

Did you get an Owner's Manual with the tractor? If not you can get one directly from MTD.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and good luck with the tractor. I know I'm sure having a great time with mine - and it's not even running yet! :Disgus:

Rich

·
Registered
334 Posts
:Welcome: hi jheck i just use type f in mind works find i use my tactor everyday .manaul you can get on line. note mind is a 1979 to :wwp:
:trink39:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, a couple of years ago i picked up a 1980 mtd 990, it is in pretty rough condition. It dosent have any spark and i have been looking for any information on the tractor. Ill post pictures of it soon

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tommy Paul, When You Put In The Type F Tranny Fluid Did You Flush The System Or Just Ad It To The Rear End? The Manual Says That It Hold 5qts. But You Will Only Get 3qts. Out When You Drain It. So Is Type F Compatable With The 20 Wt. Oil That Will Be Left In There? If You Did Flush It How Was This Accomplished? Thank You.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Jheck, your PM box is full, so copied & pasted to here:

Think I'd go detergent. It'll help prevent sludging in the sump.

jheck said:
olcowhand said:
jheck said:
hi, just picked up a mtd 990 79? everything works. 1ST thing need to change fluids/hydostic . manual says sae 20wt se grade. we know that is no longer made. what can be subed? manual also says that system holds 5 gts. but can only drain 3 gts out. so will need somthing compatable with se 20 wt.?
thanks for any help you that may provide. and your 990 looks really nice. j. heck
You can use straight 30wt motor oil, or Dexron III, but I'd go motor oil as it helps build better pressure on worn hydro's. You can even go 15w40. I've never had any probs with the blending of oils.
thanks for the info. 30 wt motor oil. i'm leaning towards that myself. what do you think ,detergent or non-detergent?

·
Registered
334 Posts
jhech i don't know why my pm didnot go through but no i just changed oil and filter run for about 10 to 15 hrs. (changed it agin oil & filter) did that a couple of times and called it good

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought a gallon of sae 20 at tractor supply. IIRC they had two different 20wt oils and a universal hydraulic oil that says it is a 20 wt equivalent.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi joe bativia, i found 20 wt motor oil at tractor supply also not the right s rating but at least its 20 wt. when i get to using the tractor im going to watch it close for foaming. if it does i think i will switch to type-f fluid.
i've had more fun with this tractor snice i got it. belive it or not i found it in hamilton new york sitting on the lawn of the local chinese restarunt owner.
i was not going to stop be cause it said mtd on it, i was looking for something more rugged like a cub or jd. but curiousity got the best of me. i took one look at that rear end and said man! this thing is built like a brick ---outhouse.

it started up didn't smoke. went forwards and backwards. snow blower worked
the guy montioned me to the garage the was a mower deck, rototiller and 3 point hitch. so i shook his hand and trailered it home. had no idea what it was other than mtd. the snowblower is for sale if anyone wants it its in workable coundtion and complete. so the project goes on. going to a small engine show tommow to see if i can find another one, parts tractor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
They're addicting. I'm an inner city boy so this stuff is like first time sex.lol I bought this one because my wife fell in love with an abandoned 1850's farmhouse and I told her I'd learn what I needed to fix it...the 2 acre yard is so rough I've broken two craftsman riders and got tired of welding them back together. Had to buy a second one for the deck so now I have two, ones a 1980 and another 1996.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
finally learned how to post pictures. when i got this tractor in may it had a cobbed up cab on it mounted with 2x4's, the hood had been cut in half, but it ran. i took it home changed the fluids, made a draw bar for the 3 point, fixed the hood, painted the hood and fenders, welded the hole in the muffler, made new muffler gaskets for it. had an oil leak on one side of the motor but it was just a loose oil pan bolt. and started hauling wood off my hill( 300yrds)
i mentioned that i had made a garden plow from FROM A DAIVED BRADLEY PLOW, I WILL TAKE PICTURES THIS WEEK END AND POST THEM. THANKS FOR BEING PATIENT GUYS I GUESS YOU CAN TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS IT JUST TAKES A WHILE:trink39:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I Changed My JC Penny MTD 990 from the OIL to TYPE "F" Transmission Fluid and had no problems. Remember when you change the fluid its recommended the you flush your lift cylinder and lift valve also. Or atleast drain as much of the oil fluid as possible, this will save you problems in the future.

Remember the viscisity of oil during cold weather is different than Type "F" Fluid.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been running the TSC universal hydro fluid in both of mine with no problems. No idea what was in there before, just flushed out as much as i could, changed the filters and filled back up. If i remember right i think Wally World carries something similar, but i didn't look at the ratings of theirs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts