My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 520H 1996 model year. When I push the throttle all the way up I'm only getting 3300-3400 RPMs. From what I've read it should be around 3600. I think the cable just needs adjusted but I'm not sure if I have to adjust it at the lever or the carb.

Also when I have the throttle down the engine surges. I don't really have the cash to have it rebuilt and don't know how to rebuild one. I've never tried before. Any helps withe these issues would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have a 520H 1996 model year. When I push the throttle all the way up I'm only getting 3300-3400 RPMs. From what I've read it should be around 3600. I think the cable just needs adjusted but I'm not sure if I have to adjust it at the lever or the carb.

Also when I have the throttle down the engine surges. I don't really have the cash to have it rebuilt and don't know how to rebuild one. I've never tried before. Any helps withe these issues would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Sent from the MTF Free App
Surging is caused by lean operation - the resulting lean bog creates a 2nd pole that results in oscillations in the governor loop. Clean your carb out and/or richen up the idle mix.

JayC

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You can download an Onan service manual from Toro
https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm
Use model number 73501 and 69123456 for a serial number.

Toro has made a mistake on some of these. You may have only 7 digits in the serial number on the tractor.

Since this engine runs try a healthy dose of Seafoam in the fuel take. That will often clean the ports and return to normal operation after you burn that up.

Garry

·
16,631 Posts
You can download an Onan service manual from Toro
https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm
Use model number 73501 and 69123456 for a serial number.

Toro has made a mistake on some of these. You may have only 7 digits in the serial number on the tractor.

Since this engine runs try a healthy dose of Seafoam in the fuel take. That will often clean the ports and return to normal operation after you burn that up.Garry

I would try what Garry posted first. Empty the tank--then add a hefty dose of Seafoam, then fill w/ fresh gas. if you have a in-line fuel filter--replace that also. and if you are useing e-10 ethenol gas, and the rubberfuel lines are OEM--I'd replace them as well--from the tank all way down...

Good luck on ur fix!

glenn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts