My Tractor Forum banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Been watching this thread, looking real nice and you will be impressed with how tough these 200's really are. I only have the 12 HP model and it will pull a house down if it had enough traction...lol. You'll swear that 214 is a diesel with the amount of wheel torque it has.

Keep up the good work. :fing32:

·
Super Moderator
15,229 Posts
Love it when theses projects get to the point you're put on your Purdy

·
Super Moderator
15,229 Posts
Stupid phone. Suppose to read Purdy green

·
Administrator
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Stupid phone. Suppose to read Purdy green
:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

I figured your post was about paint Larry, but the "stupid phone" part made me laugh out loud! Next chance I get I want to get the tower installed with the wiring so I can start the engine!

When I sand blast (if I don't get brought into work) the trailer Friday, I'm going to strip the fender deck too while I'm at it. That'll be a big step toward getting the machine finished up. Last will be the hood, I'll paint it when I paint the fender pan. I need to visit the dealer for a quart of primer this weekend.

·
Administrator
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #125 (Edited)
Tonight's meager progress, only one picture because the camera battery was dead. Need to order a headlight switch, forgot about that one. I didn't reuse the ammeter, I went with a Sun volt meter.

DSCN0571.JPG DSCN0567.JPG

DSCN0566.JPG

This machine was used at local marine repair shop, it was their yard tug. This is the hitch they welded to it!

DSCN0570.JPG

·
Three of my friends
8,759 Posts
You can take the headlight switch apart and clean it up and it will be fine.

·
Administrator
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #127 (Edited)
Wow, it's been 5 years since I last worked on this machine. Embarrassing......

I picked up a non running LT133 over the winter to replace my old JD S82 RER. It was cheap and after some work it's turned out to be a great lawnmower. So with a little momentum I decided onto the 214. First thing on my list was to finally get the rebuilt Kohler started. It did run on carb spray but the carb float was glued shut and the fuel pump was really weak. I turned the engine over several times with the carb removed and barely got a trickle of fuel. Unfortunately rebuild kits aren't available from JD, or any other that I can find, so I bought an aftermarket pump. JD was $145 and that was outrageous. So when the carb kit and fuel pump arrive it should be ready to run. I already installed a new fuel line, tank valve and the fuel tank was cleaned and sealed up years ago when I first started this project. So I know it's clean.

So my next idea was to get the seat pan stripped and in primer.

That's it for now (don't hold your breath for updates) but I'm shooting for spraying JD Classic green next week. Here's hoping.....🍺

·
Super Moderator
28,821 Posts
Wow, it's been 5 years since I last worked on this machine. Embarrassing......

I picked up a noon running LT133 over the winter to replace my old JD S82 RER. It was cheap and after some work it's turned out to be a great lawnmower. So with a little momentum I decided onto the 214. First thing on my list was to finally get the rebuilt Kohler started. It did run on carb spray but the carb float was glued shut and the fuel pump was really weak. I turned the engine over several times with the carb removed and barely got a trickle of fuel. Unfortunately rebuild kits aren't available from JD, or any other that I can find, so I bought an aftermarket pump. JD was $145 and that was outrageous. So when the carb kit and fuel pump drive it should be ready to run. I already installed a new fuel line, tank valve and the fuel tank was cleaned and sealed up years ago when I first started this project. So I know it's clean.

So my next idea was to get the seat pan stripped and in primer.

View attachment 2458443

View attachment 2458444

That's it for now (don't hold your breath for updates) but I'm shooting for spraying JD Classic green next week. Here's hoping.....🍺
Thought you were doing it in Cub colors for a bit! :)

·
Super Moderator
15,229 Posts
That's going to be nice when you are done. Always wanted a 200 series.

·
Administrator
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Looking good! I thought you painted that already??
Nope, I never got around to it until yesterday. It's an improvement, the seat pan was hit hard with surface rust. The sand paper wheels (didn't feel like sand blasting it) I used on my angle grinder worked great but gouged the metal a bit here and there when I was daydreaming, mostly on the two bolt holes on the back of the pan where the seat goes. I'm not going to go crazy and use body filler but I plan to DA it with 220 paper and smooth out what I can. I'll hit it again with a few heavy coats of primer to build it up a bit, finish sand and spray the green next week if all goes well. You may see it almost finished next time up, but don't be surprised if it's not. ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,229 Posts
At this point anything is an improvement over what I started with.

I’m surprised you haven’t owned a 200 series by now, Larry. 😉
I've been casually looking but the ones I find are pretty beat up. Can't do a complete restore anymore.

·
Administrator
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
I've been casually looking but the ones I find are pretty beat up. Can't do a complete restore anymore.
Mine was pretty beat up as well, but decent ones pop up from time to time around here. I got this one as a basket case by the side of the road and at the time had high hopes to make it as nice as your RF. Things change, now I just want it to look decent and plow snow or use as needed around the house.

·
16,345 Posts
Mine was pretty beat up as well, but decent ones pop up from time to time around here. I got this one as a basket case by the side of the road and at the time had high hopes to make it as nice as your RF. Things change, now I just want it to look decent and plow snow or use as needed around the house.

Mike--I know that feeling--or change of direction--for real......Getting too old and too time-constrained for a REAL restore concert....Sometimes--we just have to veer off the chosen path a bit..
Keep up the up-dates...You are already ahead of Ellis...:giggle:

glenn

·
Administrator
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #137

Mike--I know that feeling--or change of direction--for real......Getting too old and too time-constrained for a REAL restore concert....Sometimes--we just have to veer off the chosen path a bit..
Keep up the up-dates...You are already ahead of Ellis...:giggle:

glenn
This has been on the back burner so long I wouldn’t dare bust Ellis’s chops. 😆 Those in glass house.....

got the carb kit today and my youngest and I put it back together and installed it on the engine. Too late to try and start it up, should have time tomorrow with a gravity tank since the fuel pump hasn’t arrived yet. Looking forward to running it and tuning the carb some. Will need to read through the manual to get the governor tuned properly. Lots of adjustments on the linkage and it was all missing when I got the tractor so it will definitely need adjusting. Hopefully have something to report tomorrow.

·
Administrator
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Good luck with it Mike! I know its been a long time. Your on the last lap though. And you know.. its not that you put it off.... you were just waiting for your helper to get a little older. :)
yup, she’s pretty into it, Paul, and she wants to drive it. She’s gotten pretty good with the new LT133 but likes the 214 more because it’s a bigger machine that steers easier.

·
Super Moderator
28,821 Posts
yup, she’s pretty into it, Paul, and she wants to drive it. She’s gotten pretty good with the new LT133 but likes the 214 more because it’s a bigger machine that steers easier.
So have you taken her to a John Deere dealer and shown her a X7xx series yet? Great that she is interested in GT's!

121 - 140 of 149 Posts