My Tractor Forum banner

81 - 100 of 149 Posts

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,258 Posts
Forward motion, Mike :thThumbsU Nothing wrong with slow and steady. Some good progress there. Bet you're looking forward to hearing it run, huh?

·
Administrator
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Progress in the right direction is always good. Steady as she goes, you'll get there. :fing32:
Forward motion, Mike :thThumbsU Nothing wrong with slow and steady. Some good progress there. Bet you're looking forward to hearing it run, huh?
Thanks Guys!

Yes Ellis, I'm very much looking forward to starting it up for the first time, hopefully soon.

·
Administrator
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Decided to try and get the lift lever working again before dropping the engine back in the frame.

MP1817_________UN01JAN94.jpg

I'm going to order #11, #12 and #9. I replaced #9 once before but never got it to work properly. I trashed the threaded end this afternoon, broke the threaded end off so I need a new one. My machine must have spent a lot of time stored outdoors, the lift lever is rotten inside. Problem is, it's a $95 part to replace so I'll try and save this one again. Any ever install the link inside the lever before? How did you make it work?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0026.JPG

·
Super Moderator
11,566 Posts
Mike, you made my day! I've been feeling guilty about how long it's taken me before FINALLY starting on the 140 that I've had since sometime before October 2010. Not anymore!:sidelaugh

Your tractor is coming along very well. It seems that the closer we get to finishing, the more we're spurred on to keep going. It looks like you'll be done in no time. You'll have a very nice tractor to use too.:fing32:

·
Administrator
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Mike, you made my day! I've been feeling guilty about how long it's taken me before FINALLY starting on the 140 that I've had since sometime before October 2010. Not anymore!:sidelaugh

Your tractor is coming along very well. It seems that the closer we get to finishing, the more we're spurred on to keep going. It looks like you'll be done in no time. You'll have a very nice tractor to use too.:fing32:
Glad I could help TT! :sidelaugh:sidelaugh

Hope to keep chipping away at it and have it ready for plowing next winter's snow.

·
Administrator
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
Been a busy past few months. Still hasn't slowed much for me, so my "fun" projects have been kicked to the curb. But after getting some errands and chores done today I grabbed a couple hours in the garage to putter on the 214.

I've been messing with the manual lift lever for a while now and just couldn't get it to work right. I ended up pulling the lever off the machine and straightening one bend out of the arm. That left the 45 +/- degree bend in the tube to contend with. I cut the tube just after the bend and set the lever in place and got the inner rod bent properly and moving smoothly. I clamped the two tubes together and welded it back together. I had the dash side panel in place to be sure it would clear it. It works very well now and I'll be able to lift the 39 deck when the time comes.

I also got the engine back in the frame and bolted down for good. The belts were all new way back when, so they were put right back onto the machine. I sand blasted the complete tower over the last few weeks off and on and it's in Etching primer now. Need to get that painted and reinstall the wiring to hear the engine start for the first time.

u1.jpg u2.jpg

u3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
I just read this whole thread, love the old manual trans Deere's, cheap and strong. The funny thing about this thread is that more posts are about how slow this project is than the actual project itself!

:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

Its coming along nicely though :fing32:

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,797 Posts
He's not slow, he's just pacing himself! :thThumbsU I know of which I speak!

Actually, there's a secret contest going on, its the "Which full restore is going to take the longest?" contest. Mike and I are finalists.... :sidelaugh

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
Well the 140 took me two years, so I could have given some competition! It feels good to have them come together though

·
Administrator
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Thanks, Mike and Paul!

I just read this whole thread, love the old manual trans Deere's, cheap and strong. The funny thing about this thread is that more posts are about how slow this project is than the actual project itself!

:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

Its coming along nicely though :fing32:
Nick, I was hoping I was the only one that noticed that detail! :ROF

And yes, I like this old manual trans Deere. It's more then overkill for my little corner of the planet but I have a pretty big driveway to clear in the winter so the tractor will earn it's keep..........someday! :)

He's not slow, he's just pacing himself! :thThumbsU I know of which I speak!

Actually, there's a secret contest going on, its the "Which full restore is going to take the longest?" contest. Mike and I are finalists.... :sidelaugh
Well, maybe I'm a little slow, but hey, I'm a finalist in a MTF contest! :D

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Lol Mike and Tyson going for slowest restoration? Dad would either be done or scrapped them by now way he is !LOL ?

·
Super Moderator
11,566 Posts
Wow, it looks good Mike. I like the black frame. You're turning the corner. I would only start the engine if you want to lose the "slow" contest though. Running engines tend to speed up the remainder of the restoration process.:fing32:

·
Administrator
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I've been sand blasting parts here and there TT. I hope to get some paint sprayed before long but I bought the new JD green paint. I grabbed the wrong quarts, I wanted old green. Need to go bye the dealer and exchange them. Had a brain cramp..... :banghead3

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Mike your getting along nicely! You know I'm kidding! ?

·
Administrator
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Made a little progress lately. Got the tower stripped and in primer, a little spot putty to fill in some rust depressions. Will finish sand it before the weeks out hopefully.

I sand blasted the front hood support today and found it's rotted on the mounting areas. One side is worse than the other but I think it'll be more of a pain to weld patches etc, so I found another one. Should be here this week and it's mint.

I also sand blasted the two engine side panels as well and got them in primer. They are pretty clean, not much to do but give them a few coats of build primer and finish sand them both.

I went and swapped the 2 qts of "New Green" for the "Classic Green" at the dealer this afternoon. Found out that JD switched to "New Green" in 89'. The 214 is an 86' so it turns out that "Classic Green " is the correct color for it.

Stuff.jpg

hood support 2.jpg

hood support, junk.jpg

I'll be sand blasting / painting (and re decking) my small 5'x9' utility trailer in September with a tow behind diesel powered industrial air compressor. A friend is letting me borrow it for a day to get the job done. I hope to get the fender deck stripped while I have that set up to work with, makes that job go a lot quicker!

I have a nice hood up in the rafters for the 214, it just needs the decals removed and repaint it.

So hopefully I'll get some paint sprayed in September when the air is warm and dry around here. I'd like to spray the tower very soon to get the wiring back in the machine so I can start the engine up. The rest of the painting I'll do all at once.

81 - 100 of 149 Posts