My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Administrator
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little back story on this 214. I've had it for a number of years now, I picked it from the side of the road at a local marine repair shop. He used it as a yard tug, it has a big channel steel hitch welded to the tail end. Anyhow, I grabbed it and brought it home thinking what a great project. Here is a photo of it when I brought it home in March 07'.
sorasbirthday009.jpg
It came with a nice set of wheel weights, both side covers, a damaged hood (already bought a new one to replace it), no seat (have a new one in the box), and an engine that knocked. I rebuilt the engine three years ago and it's still sitting on the engine stand waiting to be dressed and re-installed in it's home. I picked up a Sears dozer blade and made a quick hitch for it to mount on the JD, only trouble is it's pretty heavy to lift without a lift assist spring. I'm going to set a winch in front at some point to do the work for me. I also bought a Cozy Cab for it that needs all new glass but is otherwise in decent shape with metal doors. So there it sat in my workshop getting pushed here to there and then over to there. Honestly it has more miles being pushed around the garage then in my yard! So after the holidays I decided to start getting moving on the project and bought a set of front tires to replace the dry rotted and torn up turfs. Bought a set of 4 ply 16X6.50-8 Trac Gard tires that I liked the looks of. The rears are just simple turf tires as well and are in good shape so I'm tubing them for the time being. I'd like HDAP's when the time comes though.

So this is my work for today, sand blasted the rims (bought a blast cabinet a few years back and this is only the second time using it I'm sorry to say) and they're in primer drying in front of the heater. Gonna put another coat on them in a few minutes and bake them all evening and finish coat them ASAP.

That's about all that's fit to print, will update as I go along. Don't hold your breath, I'd hate to see anyone collapse waiting for me to get moving. As the title states, "this is gonna take a while!" :D

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Re: Another 214 rehab thread, this is gonna take a while...

Subscribed!

·
Premium Member
5,686 Posts

I will definitely be checking in.

·
John Deere Forum
148 Posts

This could be an interesting watch and read, as I purchased a 212 this fall, for a project as well. I currently use a 208 for my lawn and snow, but the 212 looked like fun. Time will tell. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts

Nice to see another 200 series being fixed up:fing32: looks good so far good luck.

·
Administrator
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The tires came in strapped together and pretty deformed, so I figured I'd hold off on the finish coat until the weekend and get the tires mounted up. I used Petroleum Jelly on the bead to get the tires to go on pretty nicely, but made a few gouges in the primer. Better that then the finish coat of paint. I tubed both just so I wouldn't have to bead them up normally. I'll check pressures tomorrow and see if I pinched the tubes or not. :i_praying

Probably deflate and mask them off best I can for the finish coat of paint, unless anyone has a better suggestion....

IMG_0002.jpg

·
Super Moderator
13,248 Posts

Sounds like you have a good start on a project.

And we thought LTG took a long time on projects :fing32:

What kind of blast cabinet do you have (table top or floor model)? I have been considering doing some of my rims and it looks like you got good results.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts

I know that's how a lot of guys do the paint. Me included.

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts

I'll keep checking in to see how its going. I have a 214 waiting to be cleaned up also.

·
Administrator
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Sounds like you have a good start on a project.

LTG has got nothing on me! LOL

What kind of blast cabinet do you have (table top or floor model)? I have been considering doing some of my rims and it looks like you got good results.
Here's the thread MrB, I never got around to posting a picture of it assembled.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=168034

It's handy to have around, the cabinet is pretty solid and it's got a nice light inside. It's not high end, but I couldn't justify a top shelf unit for screwing around out in the workshop. It's a siphon fed blaster and does a pretty respectable job, and for my needs it'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts

Looking at your other thread I think that's the same cabinet we have at the shop. Honestly we have used it quite a bit and its been a good piece. The only things we've done is I bought a new gun for it because the original died and we tossed the viewing glass after the first year because the tear offs they provide suck. We just cut up a piece of plexi and when it gets pitted so its hard to see through we just put another one in. The little screws are a pain but you only have to loosen most of them. The only ones you have to remove are the ones closest to the door and just slide the glass out.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,796 Posts

I wasn't gonna SAY anything, but yeah... I saw that "2007" and thought, hey, I'm doing pretty good then! :thThumbsU

Subscribed!

·
Super Moderator
13,248 Posts

I wasn't gonna SAY anything, but yeah... I saw that "2007" and thought, hey, I'm doing pretty good then! :thThumbsU

Subscribed!
Your pace now qualifies as fast and Larry qualifies as a John Deere GT Ninja!

I on the other hand just keep buying them........

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts

got me a farm fresh (as in bull manure) 216...i'll be keeping watch here:)

got it mostly because the words Tiller and Blower got me all worked up:sidelaugh

·
Administrator
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Subscribed!
I'm pacing myself, can't rush into these things! :ROF

Actually, I'm just tired of walking behind the snow blower and want to ride the tractor. Gotta get moving in order to do that. About the only thing that's saving me is I won't worry about minor imperfections. The goal is to have a good running, mechanically sound, working tractor, that's not an eye sore. :D

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts

Morning Mike,
I think your process thoughts on painting front rims is fine.
I myself prefer to paint complete, then mount tires but have done it both ways with good results.
I have very good luck not damaging paint now with the HF tire changer I bought. The atc wheels and front ones from the WH310-8 came out well with no scrathes from assembly.

Keep up the progress, It'll be very nice to here that freshly rebuilt engine fire!:fing32:

MU

·
Administrator
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Morning Mun, your right it'll be nice to hear it run! I started with the front tires because they kept going flat, one had a huge tear in it and they were dry rotted badly. I wanted a rolling chassis first.

Once the fronts are painted and installed I'll probably start on getting the engine buttoned up and set back in the frame. Once the drivetrain is sorted out move onto painting the hood and tin work. I bought the decals for the hood a few years back and the new grill medallion. I don't have a grill though. Have to work on that in the coming months.

While I'm thinking about it the manual lift lever push button is stuck in the tube. That's another reason for the winch idea. Anyone had any luck curing this problem? Replace the lift arm with a working donor? Replace the guts of the lift arm?

·
Super Moderator
15,222 Posts

Now you've gone a done it! You've got everyone waiting in anticipation so you have to make a little progress every day. We're all watching! Keep the progress picture coming!

1 - 20 of 149 Posts