My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

It seems I am having some trouble with my 210 once again.

It's strange. When I start the engine and go to mow it runs great, for about half an hour. Then it starts to power off like someone has turned the key off.

If you try to start it directly after it powers it will just crank, nothing. After a few moments (5 min or so). You can start it, but it hesitates. It sits and sputters then it will turn over and this plume of black smoke comes out and it will run normal for another 30 min or so the it does it again.

After a while it gets very tiresome.

Any suggestion? I have replaced my spark plug as the old one wasn't in good shape.

Thanks!

·
JD318
990 Posts
Maybe the coil is starting to go after it heats up?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! The fuel is full so I don't know about the screen being a possibility.

I would say that the coil is part of the problem. The guy who owned this before me replaced the engine, but since it didn't fit just right he did some fancy wiring and it has a strange looking coil. The coil on it is nothing like what is on JDParts. I would imagine that I have to replace it, so I will start there.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am ironing out the kinks still. It needs a little work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the coil solves it. After interpreting the which wire was which I think I have it connected correctly (no fires as of yet).

I mowed for about 2 hours before putting it away (a record). Now I have a belt that is wore. I guess once you get over all of the "breaking" points then you should be in for smooth sailing until the wear catches up..

·
Super Moderator
35,770 Posts
Glad that you got that issue fixed! I always kept two belts available for my 212 tractor to the mower deck! They'd last about a season and then break.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad that you got that issue fixed! I always kept two belts available for my 212 tractor to the mower deck! They'd last about a season and then break.
I bought this tractor for 450.00$. The transaxle was in bad shape. The seals were really tore up so I replaced the transaxle and now it works great. I don't feel that the tensioner on the drive belt has enough tension. I am using the spring that was already there.

Perhaps it needs to be replaced as well. The belt I am using came off of the 210 my grandfather bought (I am using it for parts). Its about 6 years old and it has been sitting 5 or so.

A little TLC it will go a long way. I am buying a simple yard tractor to do mowing until I get this unit restored. I figure before the summer next year I will break down my tractor and paint it, and make it look new.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
:ditto: this will save you money in the long run!!:fing32:
My grandfather always said that. I noticed that the belt that came on the mower when I bought didn't seem to be quite the quality of the JD belt. The JD belt was 100x times thicker and it seemed to fit a bit better.

Is there a trick to installing belts? It's really straight forward, but I was wondering if there was a trick or something to make it easier.

I was wondering too where the tensioner for the drive belt connects? The spring that holds tension on the drive belt connects to the top of the pulley but then goes into the tractor somewhere, mine came off and I hooked it back but I don't think it is 100% correct.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts