My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As if I don't have enough to get going right now 馃拃

Latest ebay buy:

This one needs work deckwise. There's a few holes on the right side above the righy rear wheel on the chute/bagger area. Might be able to jb weld it but worst case I'll have to patch this somehow or find a similar deck to this. The rest of it, while pitted, seems to be strong.

But, the good news is it's complete(minus the bag, managed to score one on eBay), and the engine spins over free. Now I need to figure out how to put the handles together 馃う

Premium Member
An 8157 was my first LawnBoy.I liked the bbc,the disc drive,not so much. It was in like-new condition until con rod let loose and blew a hole in the crankcase.I found a donor 8157A for an engine.For some reason it had German language decals,and an engine guard.I sold the 8157 but still have parts and deck from 8157A .

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Out of curiosity, is the disc drive similar to the snapper hi/vac self propelled system? I'm not real familiar with snapper as I've never owned one with that particular setup.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Finally figured the handle out.

Deck condition-minus the 2 holes in the discharge tunnel.

Definitely need to pull the carburetor. The air filter disintegrated in my hands when I took it out. Might also need to look at the throttle cable as it seems to be hanging up somewhere.

After unscrewing and lifting the cover for the transmission, found that it does have a drive belt, which is on the verge of breaking apart and needs to be changed. Rear wheels also hang up when I try pulling it backwards, I've tried adjusting the cable but so far haven't gotten anywhere. Might need to be greased, I did see a grease fitting underneath.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bag came in today.

At least, I think this is the bag that fits it(this is #682922, partstree shows # as being 682982 but I don't see much of a difference between the two). Saw another 8157 for sale on eBay with the same style bag. Doubt I put this together right, but it looks right. I'm assuming I have to remove the door for the rear discharge tunnel to install it, I'm not really sure as I'm still learning about this model. For right now it's sitting on top of the mower until I can figure out how to install it.

Also has good spark, pulled it over a couple times and got bright red each time with the spark tester hooked up.

Premium Member
You don't need to remove door.IIRC it flips in the bag when you install bag....I think...it's been a while since I've owned it.
Lawnboy Rescue has some pics that may help.https://s.ecrater.com/stores/254277/5d9b99b047fd7_254277b.jpg
The hard pull back on yours is a common problem with those I believe.Cleaning out old grease and relubing gearbox helps.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't need to remove door.IIRC it flips in the bag when you install bag....I think...it's been a while since I've owned it.
Lawnboy Rescue has some pics that may help.https://s.ecrater.com/stores/254277/5d9b99b047fd7_254277b.jpg
The hard pull back on yours is a common problem with those I believe.Cleaning out old grease and relubing gearbox helps.
Tried it last night before I went back in. The door does go inside the bag when you put it on, the bracket on the mower itself is bent on the right side so I'll have to straighten it, but the bag itself does fit.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Another piece showed up today

Mower with the bag installed:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found a brand new BBC setup (#683098) on ebay, once it gets here I'll post a photo.

In the event the current setup decides to grenade itself I'll have a spare.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found another 8157 mower engine on ebay along with the cables. Bit out of my budget, but I grabbed both. This engine looks like it's in way better shape than what's installed currently, I'm half tempted to swap it on for now (once it gets here) and go over the original one to make sure everything's squared away. Either way,I'll have a spare if the other let's go.

I still need to patch the deck up. Since I've been moving it in and out of the shed periodically the rear wheels seems to be loosening up a little bit as it isn't dragging as badly as it was originally. Still going to check the grease and/or add some just to be safe.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Here's today's progress:

Installed the "new" (to me) engine. (2cyclerecycle from ebay, I've bought a few things from him before.)

Deck is in slightly worse shape than I though, but that's nothing I can't patch up.

As seen here:

Still need to let it cure a bit but it's holding well. (Permatex steel weld, I know it's an aluminum deck but figured I'd give it a try). Once it dries/cures better, I'll sand it down and paint over it.

Im REALLY not sure if the belt is installed right. I don't see how else it would route, it does pull when the self propelled engages but it still needs adjustment.

Speaking of which...it does run. Kind of. It'll idle for about a minute or two then stall out, if I choke it it'll sputter and try to keep running but just died afterwards. I did notice when I tried throttling up that it bogged and died. I did adjust the wheel a few clicks (maybe too many, seemed like it was running way too fast when I ran it off prime, 3 clicks each time, 9 total. Might've loosened it too much but the idle sounds right to me). It's possible that the carb is plugged, I'm not ruling that out. I believe the air vane is supposed to move when you move the throttle up/down? (If I'm remembering correctly) I don't see it doing that though. I'm also not ruling out that I screwed up and clicked the adjustment wheel too many times.

On the plus side, while it was running, I tested the blade engagement and the self propelled. Both worked really well. Overall I'm satisfied. Just want to get it running correctly. Worst case I'll pull/clean the other carb off the old motor(which is a spare, I think it'll be fine once I check everything on it.)

Edit: Should also add that I need to re-install the spring loaded 'push to engage blade" piece that magically shot off while swapping cables. Luckily I still have all the pieces. Bail handle works fine as it is but that piece needs to be reinstalled at some point.

Reactions: 1652

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

And here we are. Minus the rambling and the wind noise I think it sounds good. Still need to find tune everything, and I think the oil mix I'm using is slightly rich, but it's usable for now.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After using it a few more times, I've run into another problem..

It's still smoking. It's actually gotten worse since the video. I'm running the same 32:1 mix I use in everything else and this is the only machine that smokes as bad as it does. I haven't tried adjusting the air/fuel ratio again but I'm also not using it too much as I'm still trying to finish patching the body up along with a few minor things. If adjusting doesn't work would this point to worn piston rings? Worst case I'll have to tear this engine down, decarbonize it, and replace the rings and piston if it comes down to it and throw the other engine back on.

Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
To my ear that is running slow and rich. First, run a compression test. Even my old D-400 and D-600 series with less than perfect compression do not smoke that bad. Then check your RPM. Standard for Lawnboy is 3200 max. Once you have dialed in the RPM's then adjust the carb. You have the good Walbro metal carb and it has an actual adjustment needle on the side. Turn it in slowly, 1/2 turn at a time, and listen and look. Continue to turn the needle in 1/2 turn at a time until it runs perfectly smooth. Continue as above until the engine starts to falter then back it off 1/2 turn to perfect running, wait and listen, and then back it off another 1/4 to 1/2 turn to just a hair less than perfect. That is the sweet spot for a Lawnboy and other 2 cycle engines. Just on the rich side of perfectly smooth. Good luck and let us know how that works. Bill
On a side note, how was the float?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Float was level, wasn't full of gas. Once I get back from vacation I'll be looking into it, but now that I think about it I was struggling to tune the carburetor so I ended up leaving it where it was. I don't remember the setting though..

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update time.

I've been putting it off, but I pulled it out of the pile and tuned the carb again. Running better, but it's STILL smoking. None of the seals are leaking so I've ruled that out. Only thing I haven't done yet is adjust the rpm but if that doesn't work I'm going to put another gasket on the carb and see if that helps any. Still have a couple new ones laying around.

Other than that, 3 pulls and it starts right up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts