My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Non staggereds look like 4501 utility decks. Nice scores :)

·
Lawn Boy
1,583 Posts
Looks like a 19 incher at the front of the line there. You can tell because the crescent cutout is rotated more to the right, (Viewed from the handle, 10:00 and 1:00) where the 21 is nearly at the center (9:00 and 12:00.)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looks like a 19 incher at the front of the line there. You can tell because the crescent cutout is rotated more to the right, (Viewed from the handle, 10:00 and 1:00) where the 21 is nearly at the center (9:00 and 12:00.)
Yessir 5249 19". Got it running tonight, mowed with the 8290. Also got the better 4501 running too but both of them have blown out mufflers so it was LOUD

Plant Tree Grass Shrub Groundcover

Automotive tire Natural material Gas Wood Bumper

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Yessir 5249 19". Got it running tonight, mowed with the 8290. Also got the better 4501 running too but both of them have blown out mufflers so it was LOUD

View attachment 2521184

View attachment 2521189
Those can be found on ebay, I'm assuming both of those are aluminum deck.

Edit: not sure what the 8290 muffler looks like, if its the dinner plate style that's hard to come by.

Reactions: evsnova74

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Edit: not sure what the 8290 muffler looks like, if its the dinner plate style that's hard to come by.
The 4501's with the blown out mufflers are steel deck but there is one on eBay that's not too bad. I could just patch it with the flux core welder though, it couldn't matter less what it looks like.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately the piston is pretty scored on what I've been calling the parts 4501 (the one with the angle iron bolted on, the deck is so badly rusted I figure I'll just try to make 1 good one from the 2)

Head Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread

But the "good one" has the gas tank cleaned out, points cleaned and gapped, and the carb cleaned out so when I get this muffler thing sorted it will at least run well (hopefully). The bad part is the deck is pretty rusty on it too and has a pretty bad crack by the handle mount on the right side. You can see the whole thing flex when you try to tip it back with the handle. So I guess I'm gonna buzz down the underside with a knotted wire cup brush and see how bad it is, cut out the damage and weld in a patch. Then I guess I'll paint the underside with chassis saver and I don't know about painting the topside yet.

Automotive tire Hood Plant Terrestrial plant Fender

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Luckily the 8290 is the quietest one I have. It is a BBC version so the muffler probably has to be kinda weird to accommodate that.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what I was thinking.

But this doesn't work, a crappy Oregon air filter for the 4501 that wouldn't spring back after wringing the oil out of it:
Sleeve Creative arts Grey Natural material Pattern

I really need to stop being so cheap

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's what I ended up doing to salvage the deck on this thing. 3/16" flat bar welded to the underside where the handle caused the cracks.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Wood Trunk

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Rim Automotive wheel system

It messed up the paint of course. I may just try to do a little touch up, it doesn't seem worth going all out and doing a full repaint on it.
Green Gas Circle Metal Auto part

Here's where the crack was on this side, I may still try to weld something along the inside of it then maybe just use JB weld as a Bondo type filler.
Green Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Grass

I think that should be strong enough though.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...it doesn't seem worth going all out and doing a full repaint on it
So much for that...

Jb welding the crack, I think this will work now that the deck isn't flexing in that spot:
Grey Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior

Green Paint Wood Art Font

Wood Art Camouflage Grass Terrestrial plant

Terrestrial plant Tool Wood Metal Grass

Jb weld "body filler" sanded down
Motor vehicle Green Automotive tire Table Bumper

Chassis Saver gloss black on the underside
Automotive tire Art Wood Auto part Personal protective equipment

I taped off the remaining decals and removed the tape to clear over them after primer and color
Wood Table Gas Auto part Font

Grabber green tack coat
Green Table Wood Gas Grass

Final product, I need to get a "step when starting" decal and contact cement the step pad back on still
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Fender

I still can't decide if I'm crazy for doing this, seems like kind of a low end model but whatever, it's a good experience. Now if I could just get the handle rechromed relatively inexpensively...

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
You aren't crazy. I'm planning to to a refresh/restore of one of my own lawnboys (8234ex) later on down the road.

Paint looks nice by the way.

Reactions: evsnova74

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You aren't crazy. I'm planning to to a refresh/restore of one of my own lawnboys (8234ex) later on down the road.

Paint looks nice by the way.
I just meant that I was crazy since this is a steel deck 4 square LB. I couldn't even find decals for it, idk maybe I'm wrong and some people like em. Besides me I mean lol

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,405 Posts
Nothing wrong with trying to preserve the deck and keep using it. Looking good by the way. Bill

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did a little bit of assembly, here are the wheels I'm gonna use. I don't know what they're from, they were in a crate with a bunch of other mower wheels I got from an auction for a dollar. Metal with ball bearings, they are maybe a half inch smaller diameter than the stock wheels but should be fine.

Tire Lawn mower Wheel Mower Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Car Vehicle

Also I guess I didn't realize that the handle on this thing was originally black. So I'll just sand it down and paint it with Chassis Saver like the brackets and underside. Other than that I still have to clean the engine more, and it needs a crank seal.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Differential Gas

1 - 20 of 31 Posts