My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching a x485 online auction today. I don't mind a project, so I figured I'd see where things went and maybe bid. Here's the auction....

So while doing a bit of research, I Googled the serial number. Guess what I found?

Same serial, looks the same, similar description. I was about to call the sales guy and ask why they got the tractor back....then I looked at the hours. Last time I checked, my hour meter didn't run backwards. Needless to say, I passed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Caveat EMPTOR... let the buyer beware in latin. i got MC that some guy had spiffied up, looked nice, ran well, started well. i didnt test drive it not ever riding a street MC before.... the ODO had quit at 52,xxx so no telling how many miles it had on it. most every other thing was worn out. shocks/fork seals/tires/ rear end final drive gear oil 1/2 low never changed. i got it for a ok price, had to put at LEAST that much more in it to get it to drive to store... still dont trust it to WM 6 miles away. i suppose i got my $1500 out of it.

now SMOKES LIKE AN OLD DIESEL for 20 mins ???? it sits too long they get atrophy in them, water in cyl's/ bad gas/carb problems. not too much on a one lunger/one carb... but 4 carbs that need to be synchronized... $600. STABIL FUEL TREATMENT IS YOUR FRIEND... and shut off the fuel to carb and let it run out of gas in carb at the end of days run. also anti theft... somewhat. just dont forget to turn the gas on when going again next day.

get water in cyl from HUMID environment... RUST IN CYL and it really really really is hard on the rings/pistons when start it... esp without shooting a LOT of WD 40 in the plug hole and slowly working the piston around cyl by hand to try to get some of the rust out of the cyls before start... 2 oil changes and even then the oil control ring, if not put to bed right with WD 40 in the plug hole and worked around by hand to distribute oil in cyl/piston/s... the oil control ring will STICK in the piston and WILL NOT COME OUT!!! without taking piston out, cleaning the groove/ring and putting it all back together again. so IT WILL BE A SMOKER FROM THEN ON OUT as the oil control ring/s are STUCK in the piston groove/s. no amt of snake oil in cyl will get them loose. just write on cowl of machine with paint pen. CHECK THE OIL BEFORE EACH RUN OF THE DAY!!!!! USES 10-30... or when a smoker... 15-40 diesel oil with 20% STP OIL TREATMENT to THICKEN UP THE OIL

SOLD AS IS!!! NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED!!! INSPECT THIS UNIT BEFORE SALE!!! (auto auction placard on dash of USED cars run thru auto auction)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Well, I guarantee that first auction post was misleading when it says it needs carb work... considering it doesn't have a carburetor. It's fuel injected.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
yea - you can't take the description literally... "needs carb work" means "doesn't run"... the reason for it not running can be anything - including "the engine is missing".... yea technically it needs carb work. crank shaft work. a valve job. and a few other things that make up the engine.

I can't stop laughing every time someone puts "needs tune-up" in an ad.... why not just say 'doesnt run'....

lmao!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Include "ran when parked" in that list too!! That's usually a run, don't walk moment for me.

Im surprised....but not really I guess....that someone would be bold enough to try and sell the same mower with 1,800 less hours on it. I suppose a simple dash swap and away you go. It sold for $1,100 this time.

·
Super Moderator
6,954 Posts
I always laugh at the ad with the 25 year old tractor with 200hrs on it, worn out tires and half the paint gone. Never in the list of replaced parts is "hour meter"

·
Super Moderator
13,439 Posts
Ahhh the land of shill bidding. I’ve watched one X744 sell 4 times on three different auction sites, all from the same auctioneer. One time it was being sold on two auction sites at the same “live” auction!

Lots of folks don’t do their due diligence and buy some hashed out unit or have no idea what something is worth. A couple weeks ago I watched two people bid up a 2016 Z335E with 8.2 hrs to $2,500... after tax and premium the total was $2,951.... a new one with tax in the same state is $2,789. Reputable auction company, just two crazy folks bidding. Sure enough, when I picked my purchases up there was the z335e headed out of the lot on a trailer.

Auctions are not for everyone!

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
Learned a few things here, thanks guys.

Mostly, I tend to be paranoid and trust no one selling a used vehicle or equipment. This thread is reinforcing that.

Other than one time at a charity auction, and a handful of small items on eBay in the past, I've never bought anything at an auction.

Auctions not for everyone: Yup, I definitely overpaid at the charity auction. The item was a Dishwalla skateboard, and they were playing at the event. Myself and another guy entertained several thousand people in the theater for a solid 5 minutes going back and forth. I did get to meet the band and had them sign the skateboard. I think because the manager was stunned that I fought so hard and paid so much. The band had the same reaction, LOL...

And no, I don't ride this (or any other) skateboard. Never have...

Mike

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is interesting what you see when you start more closely watching auctions. There is a x730 that I watched sell at auction last month near me. Soft cab, very recognizable. It's up for sale again tomorrow at the same auction company. Maybe someone backed out, hard telling, but it certainly could have been a shill that got caught holding the bag too.

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
And now I've learned what "shill" means, and have definitely seen this in action...

I've attended other charity auctions, and the auctioneer had a "live bidder" on the phone in his ear, would run the bids WAY up on a big item (which was usually not a physical item, but a special event/privilege, like a dinner with a celebrity). When the shill won the bid, they'd "magically" convince the celebrity to offer the package one more time to the in-house high bidder. Pretty sure they did it with lesser-priced physical items and events (lesson packages, etc.) as well.

I've never bid on those things (way above my pay grade), but have always felt cheated by the experience. I weirdly feel better now, at least I know it wasn't just my imagination/paranoia kicking in, and there really was shady business happening. At least in this case, it went to a worthy charity, but still doesn't leave a good taste in your mouth.

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
Just the word "shill" sounds like it's related to organized crime (hey, I lived in RI for the first 36 years of my life...).

I've watched a couple of hybrid auctions for equipment this year. More power to you if you walk away with a good deal on a good machine, but I definitely wasn't impressed by the behavior I saw.

Bids escalated quickly, especially in person. There were VERY few items won by internet bidders. Many times, while bids were still going up very fast, the auctioneer abruptly announced "SOLD" to a local bidder.

Very sketchy...

Mike

·
Super Moderator
13,439 Posts
Just the word "shill" sounds like it's related to organized crime (hey, I lived in RI for the first 36 years of my life...).

I've watched a couple of hybrid auctions for equipment this year. More power to you if you walk away with a good deal on a good machine, but I definitely wasn't impressed by the behavior I saw.

Bids escalated quickly, especially in person. There were VERY few items won by internet bidders. Many times, while bids were still going up very fast, the auctioneer abruptly announced "SOLD" to a local bidder.

Very sketchy...

Mike
Bad auctioneers are just like organized crime and the few bad ones give the good auctioneers a bad reputation. I watch/attend/bid/buy enough at auctions I could probably write a decent book of sad and funny stories. With the exponential rise in online bidding in the past 12 months, there has been a similar rise in bad actors. Luckily, most of the online platforms don’t want that type of association and if notified will act if they can. In cases like selling machines 2, 3, or more times there isn’t much they can do if the “live” bidder won.... Sometimes it isn’t even about the machine selling. It’s about generating data and prices.

Couple of things I do that helps:
1) Watch multiple auctions before buying anything. No single machine is worth the aggravation of getting a “deal”
2) Transparent auction companies are the best. Do they have audio and video of the live auction? Is it an online only but live auction? Do they allow you to see the other bidders? Do they provide sold data?
3) Do they provide inspection times? Multiple pictures? Are they helpful on the phone. Almost every auctioneeer I like is helpful or has very helpful staff, they are not bother by questions they answer questions with as much detail as they can get. They are willing to work with you for pick up etc. Suspect auction companies generally are brief on the phone (don’t confuse brief with busy), provide vague answers, terms are terms no exceptions.
4) Know the sale history! Is it an estate sale? Consignment sale? Liquidation? Asset reduction? Type of sale will greatly influence how you might handle bidding. Consignment sales are the bottom of the ladder, machines are there for a reason, it’s your job to know why prior to bidding OR you bid knowing there is something wrong!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts