My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Plain Old MTF Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often wonder why Jacobsen put only a 1-1/4 gallon fuel tank on these tractors.
I have played with the idea of fabricating a fuel tank to fit the space under the seat... basically a custom fit. This idea comes from the fact that Kohler put a fuel pump on these engines.
Would the fuel pump do the job? Is there something I am not seeing here?

·
Subsurface dweller
194 Posts
I do not see why not. Wheel Horse essentially used the same Kohlers (flopped the other way 'round of course!) and the xx1 series and up had mosed the tank under the seat. Very nearly the same head of pressure.

Much of the reason things are as they are, is because of heritage. Like Jacobsen having the engine in backwards, the earlier Kohlers of say 1961 or so and 6 or 7 hp didn't have the pump. So the tank was mounted under the hood and above the carburetor and 1 gallon was fine for that size of engine. So that feature stuck all through the Chief series for a decade or so.

·
Plain Old MTF Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds reasonable. Engines went up in size but not the tanks.
I had thought of storing the original tank and fabricating one to fit it's place but
there wouldn't be much to gain. There is plenty of room under the seat if a custom tank was built to fit it. That would even leave additional space. I think
a tank of at least 3 gallons is possible. The early Chiefs tranaxle oil level was
checked under the seat unlike my 1966 1200 which is checked at the rear of the axle.
Thanks for your 2 cents!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts