My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just filing a report here. I have been using Amsoil Sabre exclusively in ALL my 2 cycle lawn equipment.

Recently and every 2-3 weeks I go to my mothers farm 11 acres and trim fence lines, hills and under trees where the rider and zero can't reach. Needless to say 5-6 hours straight of two stroke madness on my weedeaters/blowers and hedgie trimmers. I usually bring an Echo SRM, Stihl or weedeater blower and a Homelite Straight shaft to stuff under fence boards for back up. EVERYTHING runs stronger and cleaner --is easier to start BUT seems to be a little more thirsty because each one had to have a small increment of richnening up to the H speed needle maybe a 1/16 to 1/32 of a turn out to get them running sweet and clean.

This has been all summer in 90 degree heat for 5-6 hours straight. I got in GREAT shape :thThumbsU and feel the Amsoil Sabre is the real deal. No engine problems and the cylinders/rings and carbs are VERY VERY clean.

As a side note, I decided to start push mowing my entire yard HILLS and all so I started using it in my 7268. It started right away and ran until warmed up. Once the Amsoil hit its veins the LB actually burped and went up 200 rpms ! I had the tach hooked up and it went from 3150 to 3350 a minute after drinking the Amsoil. I mowed the entire lawn on one tank of gas --never did that before... pulled the plug and it's perfect.! I even finished up on low speed carb setting 2650rpms and it never bogged or sputtered. Just a nice LB burble. I have H speed setting at 3300 and only used it initially in the heavy grass.

Sabre=:fing32:

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
i been waiting on a amsoil sabre test like this for a long time,but im happy with my opti 2 cus its easier to get in my area.

·
2 stroke addict
1,102 Posts
good report! if I were to use this in say my Duraforce or a Toro, what should I do about the Jet size? go back to stock? or would it still run too rich?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Great report !:fing32:

I got a qt of Sabre a couple months ago and so far I'd give it two thumbs up :thThumbsU:fing32:

I run my Tecumseh at 80:1 and it just runs awesome with it. Plus I like the smell of it.

BTW I only run the 80:1 ratio cause its easier to measure even onces on the quart i.e. 4oz for 2.5 gal gas container. I would not hesitate to run my equipment at 100:1.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been using @ 100:1 initially and MAY go to 80:1 for the next batch-but I am tearing down the homelite for pics and investigation @ seasons end so I know what gives for next year. Few guys I know have alawn contracting businesses and swear by this stuff. Some been using it for 10-12 years and have had NO motor related failures. They don't even winterize stuff religiously either. The proof in the pudding so to speak:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1894535

http://www.amsoil.com/news/2009_june_saber_professional.pdf

http://www.syntheticlubes.com/amsoil_saber_professional_2-cycle_oil.html

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=486041

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have used it at 80/1 but would not go to 100/1
For your amount of running I would as well but 100:1 seems to be proven though. For piece of mind though what's a few tenths of an ounce per gallon anyways..! :fing32:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i been waiting on a amsoil sabre test like this for a long time,but im happy with my opti 2 cus its easier to get in my area.
Amsoil guy has a basement full of all kinds of Amsoil (4 cycle and 2 cycle oils) 5 minutes from my house so I have no excuse...:greendr:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good report! if I were to use this in say my Duraforce or a Toro, what should I do about the Jet size? go back to stock? or would it still run too rich?
Jet size is larger.??..you should be fine at 80 or 100:1.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
I've been told that Amsoil has been tested safe in wear tests at 250:1!! Wow! I'd say 100:1 is O.K.

Does anyone know what it is based on? Petroleum, Castor, paraffin or what?

·
OMC approved.
197 Posts
I've read many good things about amsoil products (mainly on some ATV forums that I'm a member of) and i've been reading in the amsoil forum on here. So I just ordered a quart so I can see for myself (the oil was a fair price but shipping was pricey) I hope it's as good as everyone claims:thThumbsU

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
I've read many good things about amsoil products (mainly on some ATV forums that I'm a member of) and i've been reading in the amsoil forum on here. So I just ordered a quart so I can see for myself (the oil was a fair price but shipping was pricey) I hope it's as good as everyone claims:thThumbsU

I like that I can supposedly use one mix for all my machines, even the 16:1 stuff.

I did lean my blower out and its starts and runs better than with the 50:1 recommendation.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not to mention a pint of Amsoil Sabre Pro will make 5 gallons and at $5 or so per pint you could spend $10 as a homeowner and have enough mix for the entire summer.

·
OMC approved.
197 Posts
I like that I can supposedly use one mix for all my machines, even the 16:1 stuff.
I can agree with that, instead of (Lawnboy/chainsaw/weed trimmer...so many gas cans:banghead3) I'll only have to worry about two mixes, outboard and lawn equipment.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
I use Sabre myself and am aware of its capabilities, but I wouldn't go running to the bank with that 16:1 stuff. Some of the older engines still had plain bearings which require more lubrication than a ball or needle bearing.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
I use Sabre myself and am aware of its capabilities, but I wouldn't go running to the bank with that 16:1 stuff. Some of the older engines still had plain bearings which require more lubrication than a ball or needle bearing.
I hear ya....Its been a concern of mine as well, on another "discussion" on another sub-forum I've been assured its safe for the older 16:1.....I would never claim that its safe myself.
As with any oil I assume the risks involved. I'm gonna give it a try on an old 16:1 Lawnboy I have. It has bronze bushings instead of bearings and It has seized before (the rod bushing) with 50:1 dino so I am curious as to how it will react with 100:1 Amsoil. Results this fall....

I believe that Opti-2 has a similar claim to one mix for all machines as well. What is the ratio of opti? Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I've always had good luck with Amsoil products. Except when I switched to Amsoil in my daughter's Probe at a little over 70,000 miles. It knocked sludge loose and clogged up an oil passage to the valves. MMO fixed that though. Both great products.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts