My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
16,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don--first ,Thanks for being a sponsor here, and for believing in what you sell...

I have been an AMsoil user for last 6 or 7 years, and I am a dedicated user, and current "Pref=erred customer"..Down the road toward retirement, I'd like to get into the dealer part of the works...

Anyway--short personal story here---

I noticed a few weeks ago--the front differential cover on my Grand Cherokee was 'seeping' a bit of oil--from just one corner, looked like..
This is a 2000 model, and have never been into the front gear case..(AWD)
Anyway--jacked it up--dropped the cover off last weekend,-let it back down, drained and wipedf out all the old gear lube....

Chrysler does not offer a replaceement gasket for this set-up--"Use RTV silicone, they said".......:fing20:

Anyway--with case cover cleaned up, I find there's still a gasket stuck on it--(neoprene, looks like)--I carefully, run a sharp putty knife under it (no sealant here--at all)--flip the gasket over, and copper shellack it in place.
Two little pieces of dental twine in each corner hold will hold it in place during positioning...I use Permatex RTV sealant on the houseing it self--and back , together we go.

I then filled with about 1-1/2 qts. of Amsoil Severe Duty Gear lube--as a saveing grave--I 'finger-brushed' on a coating of syn. grease on the front of the bull gears I could see--so they wouldn't turn dry the first couple times.
Cleaned the magnetic fill plug--and we are rideing.:trink39:

Anyway, the point to all of this, Don , is it seems to be quieter on the highway, sitting in the front seat, and after a 30 mile hy way trip, I laid down and felt the case 's outside--luke warm, at most on a 90 deg. day.

We will see after a real trip..:woohoo1::woohoo1:

glenn

·
Registered
179 Posts
Greetings Glenn !
Thank you for the positive feedback !
When using silicone rtv for differential covers with synthetic gear lube, be sure to use a type that is powertrain fluid resistant. Many types are not and will react with synthetic gear lubes and may cause leaks. I have been using right stuff rtv and Loctite ready gasket for the last 10 years on differential covers, and have yet to have a leak.
These 2 brands make note that they are powertrain fluid resitant on their label.
I have also replaced axle shaft seals on a vehicle that I had switched to Amsoil about 5 years previous to the seal leak, the sealant was very much intact and unaffected by the synthetic gear lube.
I also use ether (starting fluid) to clean any oil residue from the gasket area of the diff housing and cover, it's cheap, and does a super job of removing any oil film, so the rtv can adhere properly.
Cooler and quieter, sounds like another satisfied Amsoil customer !
Have a great day !
Don

·
16,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don--Yes, the sealant I used from Permatix does have that info on the tube...After wire brushing down the cover plate areas---I used Brakleen (red) to clean the oilk residue....

Thanks for answering!~

glenn

·
Registered
638 Posts
Don,

Don't most starting fluid have a lubricant in it? I tried to terminate the life of a bee on my garage window with starting fluid and it left a film on the window.On the brighter side,it killed the bee.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I believe the words "contains upper cylinder lubricant" were placed on starting fluid cans to make you feel better about using ether to score your cylinders on cold startup.
Brakleen also works great to rid the film as well, but I have come to hate the smell of it, and ether isn't as hard on your central nervous system as brakleen is.
Have a great day !
Don

·
Registered
638 Posts
But it does contain something and will leave an oil or wax film on the part that you are trying to remove the oil film on.Just went out and tried again before I posted this.Sprayed starting fluid and brake clean on my garage window.Brake clean left no signs and the starting fluid left an oil like coating on the window.Test for yourself and see what the results are.The results may vary from manufacturer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts