My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove the ammeter? I've never seen a mounting like this. I thought that maybe it's a 2 piece meter, so I removed the 2 nuts, but, wouldn't seperate. Maybe an axe?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
My guess would be the silver ring around the bezel unscrews? I don't see how else it would be on there. I wonder if a parts blow up would give us a clue?

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,980 Posts
I'm guessing the square white mount piece on the back is snapped into slots in the ammeter, and that its not gonna be pretty to get them out... Doesn't look like a standard "factory" install, looks like something they had to come up with to make it work. The "factory" ones I've seen have a strap (sometimes metal, sometimes plastic) with rubber insulating grommets that bolts across the two posts (all insulated, of course if its the metal strap, so you're not shorting across the posts)... The strap has two "legs" on either end that point in toward the front of the ammeter, they rest against the back of the dashboard to keep the meter in place, the nuts go on as far as the strap will let them, you put your cables on AFTER (IIRC from when I installed mine on my '78 Fairmont in the distant past). Possible that this one HAD one, but the dashboard was too thin to use it so they came up with something else.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I just checked a couple parts blow ups, they show the gauge as one piece out of the dash, so no help there. Although looking at the schematics re depressed me for losing that darn tractor this weekend. Stay strong boneyard.........

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Big hammer ought to do it! :hide:
DavidG, your idea sounds plausible so, I'm gonna try it tomorrow. Kind of a cheesy way to install a gauge if you ask me.

LTG, I know the kind of bracket you mentioned, the "U" shaped bracket with insulators. This is the only way that I have ever seen these gauges installed.

If none of these work, I do have to replace the chain on my chainsaw and........ :Stop:

Bob

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I think DavidG is right. I've seen gauges mounted in this fashion on electrical panels and they are a pain to change. Often it's easier to make a cut into one of the exposed open areas of the thin retainer and remove the gauge that way. Don't know about with the vibration of a tractor but on a fixed panel it never created a problem with installing a new gauge.

Mike

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, if I can't salvage the square "clip", I'll fab up a bracket like this type of gauge requires.

Bob

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Well, if I can't salvage the square "clip", I'll fab up a bracket like this type of gauge requires.

Bob
Those that I saw built in this fashion were in alarm system panels years ago. We were able to re-use the clips after cutting them for removal. As I recall we simply put them back on with no problems. Some of them would turn on the meter and were easy to remove but many were stuck and limited space made it impossible to get them loose.

You may well be able to get this one off by turning or springing it out of shape a bit.

Mike

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I lifted it up on one corner and removed it that way. It was do or die and being nice about it wasn't even a thought. At first, I thought that it might be made of steel, but, it's soft aluminum. I ended up re-using the "bracket". I just needed to remove it so I could do the body in primer before the rust got too bad. Eventually, I'll strip it down completely and repaint it.

Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts