My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a old AMF lawnmower, model 1281-1300, searched the net but nothing found. Orginaly, it was 8/36, but has since been swapped to 11hp briggs. Anyone know where to find out the years on these things? I'm trying to get another one I found, but havent been able to get the jingle for it yet. It's a shame, I had several of these as a young teen, and cant find too many now..........

·
JD318
990 Posts
There's another guy looking for AMF year help a couple posts below.
Pretty rare beasts....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I'm figuring out that I should have kept all the others I had....But, I never really cared about "collecting" those till now..... Now between me and dad we have quite a collection of old trucks, old tractors, and some old equipment. Even a two wheel tractor with implements! and no, it's not a david bradley :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am also looking at purchasing an AMF "1042" 10 hp,42"deck, the tractor is white and red/orange in color, are these good old tractors?Have included a photo...

Attachments

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
i know my amf 1414 is a real good work horse but has several issuse that need to be worked out like figuring out why the deck doesnt raise and lower correctly and i really need to start looking arround to find parts to rebuild the hydro on it it has several bad bearings and a few leaks from lots of neglect by the previous owners my grandpa had pulled 3 tons with it on several occasions i really wish i could find someone with information about about them other than what i can find on wikipedia as that wasnt much help the closest i have been able to figure the year is 1968 which is the engine year but not sure it the tractor is the same year or possibly a little newer because the factory may not have been good about rotating their stock all i know is that the many of the masey fergusson tractors were also made by amf during the seventies so it is possible that you may be able to find more info on their section but i would like to see some pics

·
Registered
251 Posts
Here are some photos of a '79 AMF taken from a sales brochure, nice reference for someone. Hope that it may help someones restoration or identification process.

Attachments

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
ok great news i found the original parts and service manual for my amf odly enough it was while looking through some of my grandpas paper work trying to find the owners manual for the 01 yardmachines mower that they have after both drive belts crapped out on me while i was halfway through cutting their grass now i can't stop grinning like an idiot because while i know that parts will be near impossible to find i now know alot more about the old girl and what it was supposed to look like when new now i need to start saving money so i can do a resto on it my grsndpa also had written the name of a dealer along with their phone number so maybe ill get lucky and be able to have a parts supplier for some items that i need i am going to scan everything soon so if you find a amf 1414 ill be able to help you with some diagrams im hoping to find a doner tractor to pull some parts from if i can bear to strip one down for parts that is or maybe ill get lucky and find the seat pan and grille in my grandpas barn. hope all goes well with your amf hunting conover keep us updated and lets see some pics

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
ok did some checking and found a place that deals in old tractor parts including amf it is corlls tractor parts you may be able to find what you need there i think i am going to get the model and seriel off of my amf tomorrow after work and give them a shout see if they can tell me exactly what year it is wish me luck ill let you know what i find as soon as they get back to me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts