My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Always found it tough to hold Universal Driveshaft from deck into shaft with locking collar and then into spline of the transmission.............Arm just not long enough when laying on your back reaching your left arm in and trying to slide the deck back into position at the same time.

Anyone else have this trouble?

Let me know how you get it to work easily, or have any special ways to get it on.

Lets see what you guys come up with...after I hear a few I will tell you how I conquered this feat........

·
Registered
693 Posts
Buddy of mine had same issue so I suggested he get deck arms etc attached, then back it up on car ramps and then just slide in from rear between rear tires and grab driveshaft and hook up. He said it works great. I just reach in from left side on mine as the deck gauge wheels are digging into my shoulder and I'm trying out new vocabulary...

·
GO TIGERS!
1,210 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buddy of mine had same issue so I suggested he get deck arms etc attached, then back it up on car ramps and then just slide in from rear between rear tires and grab driveshaft and hook up. He said it works great. I just reach in from left side on mine as the deck gauge wheels are digging into my shoulder and I'm trying out new vocabulary...
Been there done that, oh what a feeling!

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Seconds on keeping everything greased up, keep the collar lubed up and it slides right on for me.

I learned the hard way though!

CCMoe

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,873 Posts
I know the deck wheel strut digging into my left side well. I slide the deck up against the back tires and hook up the shaft first, taking advantage of the shaft length adjustability. Grease helps, contortionist arm and wrist wrestler strength seem to help more. I find I can get a spline match before retracting the collar. Then once connected, I drop the lift arms into alignment and slide the deck forward onto them using the draft arm from the front. Easy-Peasy??? What is Easy-Peasy is understanding why Deere designed drive-over auto-connect. What is hard for me is understanding why the geometry isn't nearly identical year over year so that I always have to adjust the height side to side every year? But, I am in deck install/height adjust heaven now, having completed it for another season. Kind of like boot camp - a rite of passage to be proud of once complete.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I do the shaft first. Collar well lubed. I was told if you slide the collar back and turn it, it locks in place. Mine did not work that way. Maybe too much lube?

I have trouble getting the lift arms to lower. I raise them up for clearance to R&R the deck, but have to force them down by hand, while I hold the lever to lower position.

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well this is how I did it this year and worked really well. (this works with belt covers off as they are on my deck. Easier for blowing off grass after mowing) Installed on concrete floor of garage.

Before putting deck under tractor put the collar part on the PTO spline part, making sure the inside part is well lubed. Allows you more room to get to the PTO without deck in your way.

Then I find some little cardboard box that is the correct height put that under the part of that collar piece that the shaft from the gearbox is going to go into. I make sure the height of the box makes it pretty much paralell with the ground so the shaft can slide right in.

Next step is to put the deck under the tractor. Get it lined up then while laying on my left side with my feet extended toward the back of the tractor I use my left hand to lift up the shaft to present it in front of the part it goes into that is lubed.

While holding up shaft with my left hand I use my right hand under my left armpit and move the belt slightly either way, just a touch to line it up perfectly into hole. Then with my right hand I pull the whole deck toward the back of the tractor. Bingo it's inserted and job
is completed.

Then install to 2 pins into the lift slots. Put front hanger on and then I'm ready to mow.

Takes less then 5 minutes.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Well this is how I did it this year and worked really well. (this works with belt covers off as they are on my deck. Easier for blowing off grass after mowing) Installed on concrete floor of garage.

Before putting deck under tractor put the collar part on the PTO spline part, making sure the inside part is well lubed. Allows you more room to get to the PTO without deck in your way.

Then I find some little cardboard box that is the correct height put that under the part of that collar piece that the shaft from the gearbox is going to go into. I make sure the height of the box makes it pretty much paralell with the ground so the shaft can slide right in.

Next step is to put the deck under the tractor. Get it lined up then while laying on my left side with my feet extended toward the back of the tractor I use my left hand to lift up the shaft to present it in front of the part it goes into that is lubed.

While holding up shaft with my left hand I use my right hand under my left armpit and move the belt slightly either way, just a touch to line it up perfectly into hole. Then with my right hand I pull the whole deck toward the back of the tractor. Bingo it's inserted and job
is completed.

Then install to 2 pins into the lift slots. Put front hanger on and then I'm ready to mow.

Takes less then 5 minutes.

If I understand correctly, you split the mower driveshaft and install the tractor 1/2 first then put the drive shaft 1/2s together? I ASSUME the drive shaft pulls apart, but never tried.

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I understand correctly, you split the mower driveshaft and install the tractor 1/2 first then put the drive shaft 1/2s together? I ASSUME the drive shaft pulls apart, but never tried.
Yes, collar part that goes on PTO is a seperate part from the gear box's driveshaft which stays on the deck( collar part slips right off of drive shaft completely. This is on a X495 with 54 inch deck..........Not sure what you have, yours might be different.

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
No it doesn't unless you loosen the hex head screw on the drive shaft. I'm missing something here.

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No it doesn't unless you loosen the hex head screw on the drive shaft. I'm missing something here.
Interesting, mine has always been in 2 pieces. I assumed that is the way it should have been..........LOL.......wonder why I have always had a rough time trying to install it, with trying to balance the 2 parts together.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 2305 scout 54 deck, slide the deck under tractor from the rear of the tractor between the rear wheels just reach under the transmission and connect the shaft if it does not go on spin the PTO on the tractor and try again.

Doug

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure how a hex screw could be on the driveshaft to hold the 2 pieces together? maybe on the other part though, so it would go through the casing part and snug up against the the driveshaft holding it on.................but can't see how a hex head screw could be on driveshaft??

·
Proud JD Owner
1,757 Posts
Push the locking collar back and twist. It will stay back. Carefully slide it on the PTO shaft and it will lock itself into place. Easy-peasy one-handed operation! If the splines aren't aligned, grab the mower deck belt and give it a jiggle either way. You have to be careful though. If you smack the shaft on anything, the collar will pop back and you're starting over. This beats the two-handed method of trying to push the shaft on and slide the collar back at the same time.

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Push the locking collar back and twist. It will stay back.
Hmmmm Interesting never knew that. Have to remember that next fall when I take the deck off and put the snowblade on. That would make it drastically easier.

·
Registered
775 Posts
The hex head cap screw is to remove the complete driveshaft from the gear box. Key 7 in the drawing

Yes, collar part that goes on PTO is a seperate part from the gear box's driveshaft which stays on the deck( collar part slips right off of drive shaft completely. This is on a X495 with 54 inch deck..........Not sure what you have, yours might be different.

I have an x485, 62C deck. See driveshaft drawing. By collar part, I am guessing key 4 in the drawing

Push the locking collar back and twist. It will stay back. Carefully slide it on the PTO shaft and it will lock itself into place. Easy-peasy one-handed operation! If the splines aren't aligned, grab the mower deck belt and give it a jiggle either way. You have to be careful though. If you smack the shaft on anything, the collar will pop back and you're starting over. This beats the two-handed method of trying to push the shaft on and slide the collar back at the same time.

I had heard the collar will lock back by twisting, I'll have try it next time the deck is off :tango_face_surprise

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have an x485, 62C deck. See driveshaft drawing. By collar part, I am guessing key 4 in the drawing

That is corrrect, put that part on first BEFORE putting deck under tractor. Then cardboard box under that part, so it is in the general direction as to where shaft will come into it.

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
First let me say that I am most likely using improper terms for things, but the hex screw I'm talking about keeps part 2 and part 4 in the diagram in post 18 together. The screw is on the barrel (Female part) of part 4. The male shaft of part 2 slides in about 2" and you can tighten the hex screw so that parts 2 and 4 stay together.

While we are on the subject, I have a bad coupler on one of my model 47 snow blowers. I would like to fix it so I don't have to swap couplers when I swap attachments, but I haven't found a good thread or youtube video on how to "repack" the coupler. Does anyone know of one? My Deere dealer wanted $300 to put it together for me.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.