My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mowed with the 7351 today and it is not responding when I hit heavy grass. Like no governor response but the governor is free. Also, it always needs to be choked to start, hot or cold. Runs well other wise. I'm thinking crank seal or air leak. Am I thinking correctly here? TIA

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Yep. Sounds pretty probable like an air leak. Replace carb intake gasket, and new seals might be in order also. Is it surging at all?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. Sounds pretty probable like an air leak. Replace carb intake gasket, and new seals might be in order also. Is it surging at all?
No surge. Have to keep the choke on longer than my other boys to warm up. Once warmed up, it boggs down under load like the gov in not responding. Since I have to choke it to start every time, I'm thinking I'm losing vacuum in the carb from an air leak somewhere.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Take a peak at the bottom of the shaft to see if it popped out. I've got another story/pic to post of a "destroyed" lower seal on an F, yet it actually started and ran halfway decent!!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take a peak at the bottom of the shaft to see if it popped out. I've got another story/pic to post of a "destroyed" lower seal on an F, yet it actually started and ran halfway decent!!
I'll look at the seal. If it looks good, I'll spray some starting fluid around the carb base while it's running to check for leaks. I've heard that some guys use WD40. Is it better to use for this check?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
LOL fire is good.... until something happens. But i would also check for a leak.

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
I'll look at the seal. If it looks good, I'll spray some starting fluid around the carb base while it's running to check for leaks. I've heard that some guys use WD40. Is it better to use for this check?
They changed the formula of WD-40 a few years ago and it's no longer as flammable as it once was. Used to be you could use it as starting fluid, but now it doesn't do much.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Starting fluid doesn't work well. It dissipates too quickly and is drawn into the intake and you can't tell if you've found a leak. Switched to WD40. When I soaked the lower crank seal with WD the engine RPM increased quite a bit. I don't know if the engine is actually sucking the WD in and burning it or if it's helping the seal do it's job and causing more vacuum at the carb to draw more fuel. Either way, it looks like a new lower seal is the next job for this baby from 1988.

·
Lawn-Boys and VW's
1,839 Posts
I would agree and check for and air leak maby a lower crank seal or your carb may need work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts