My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I got my hands on an old Gilson s-10 with a Briggs 243431 10hp. I am replacing the head gasket but in the Briggs manual (found an OLD copy) it's instructions say to just 'tighten bolts snug then do a 1/4 turn tight'. I've ALWAYS had torque wrench settings on any other engine, but they simply don't have any for this old iron beast...(?) I've never worked on an engine this old and was just wondering if this sounds right to you guys (sorry, I wasn't born 'til a couple years after this engine was broken in!?). Also states in manual that you can 'reuse gasket if it looked good'... It has always been told to me that it was a cardinal sin to reuse a head gasket!!

Thanks for helping a newbie out! -mnplains

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Those instructions worked for a lot of years. As for the gasket, if it looks good use it. Use some aluminum paint as a sealer.

·
Vet-Wrencher
253 Posts
Some of those gaskets were re-usable on the old engines becouse they were simply papper and asbestos. You just greased the head gasket or sprayed it with paint and torqued the head back down. Modern ways got wise to the idea of re-usable head gaskets so they came out with the "crunch once and throw away" gaskets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts