My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks. I'm thinking about buying this 220. The seller can't tell me anything about this tractor. The deal breaker for me will be if the tractor has the front hydraulic lift. Can anyone tell by these pics if it has the lift for attacments? Year? Type of engine?

Am I crazy? ~ Don't answer that!

Attachments

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
man, that poor old thing don;t have a lot going for it.
Needs new tires for sure. and a new seat, and some fender work to possibly maken even drivable. No hydraulic lift.

Looks like it spent a good deal of it's life unprotected from the weather. Plus the seller has no history on it for you, it could have never been maintained, hence ending up looking like it does.

This tractor isn't worth very much the way it sits. even with all the time and money it would take to make it operational (provided the engine runs at all) you would probably do better to hold off and wait til one in a little better shape becomes available.

If you can pick it up for under $100 then go for it, but you can find one in lots better shape for a few hundred more.

As far a year is concerned, it looks like early years of the 1970's, and I cannot tell what the front attachment set up is like. Does it even have a mower deck? I would recommend your first Case to be one you can enjoy a little before you need to do major work on, first impressions are hard to get over if they are full of frustration and remorse.

Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
As has been said so far, this is one sad little tractor that isn't worth very much but that doesn't mean that it cannot be salvaged. However, I gather that you want one with the Hydra-lift option and this one doesn't have it but since it needs a full restoration anyway, you could add it.

The seat is from another brand of tractor who's name eludes me at the moment but I know that I've seen that seat pan before. The 220 is a 1976 model so it does have the Snap Fast attachment system. The fenders have been damaged badly, most likely from the improper installation of tire chains and the hood appears to be badly bent from driving into something. If you are reasonably skilled bodyman, those things can be straightened out but it takes time to get it right.

There is definitely a Kohler K under the hood and most likely it is the original 10 horse engine. To me, this is a $100.00 parts tractor at best due to its present condition but local interest/demand could alter that figure.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I needed to hear your responses and a push in a better direction. This tractor was first posted mid August, Craigslist, Maine. It started at $300, and has declined to $100 and still ~ no one wants it. Not even for parts.

Thanks again, I will leave this 220 for another lucky owner.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am looking at selling the 1980 220 I just bought.
Needs front tires the steering joint I ordered waiting for it to come in.
Found a few thin pieces of metal in the oil change but runs great.
$350.00 is what I paid so 350.00 I wouldn't mind getting.
I am moving on to a deere project instead.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
If all he is asking at this point is $100.00, then go there with a trailer and hand him $50.00 for it and take it away. If you buy something similar, then this tractor can become a valuable parts donor. For all you know, it might have got a brand new EZ clutch put into it a few short years ago and that clutch today will set you back $400.00 alone. Even a good, used clutch is worth $150.00 on e-Bay all day long so don't be turning up your nose to this tractor because it could be a bargain in the long run.

If it was near me, I'd pay the $100.00 for it if I had to but I'd haggle like **** to get it for less.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I called that guy about that tractor almost 3 weeks ago. He wouldn't budge below 200 bucks. I told him if he could get the engine running it might be worth $150 as it sat. He hemmed and hawed about it and said he had somebody that was going to give $200. I told him to take that guys money and run.

Fast forward to 4 days ago. I get a random call on my cell phone and it's this guy with the tractor again. This time he said $150 and it was mine. I told him it really wasn't even worth $100 to me. He gave me the same story of how he had another buyer on the line for more than my offer blah blah blah same story all over again. I told him again to take that guys money. :banghead3

I bet you could get it for $75. In fact if you don't I'm going to call him back and head his way with my trailer on Sat with $75 in my pocket. :trink39:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Darn it Snotrocket! I was thinking of doing the same thing next weekend. I want a practice tractor to try to restore. Let me know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To any who care to buy this 220. I have no problem or jealousy if you were able to freely aquire the tractor. From my side of things ~ go for it! ! You've got my blessings.

As I get older, I am realizing that I need a GT, but with hydraulic assisted lifts and attachments. I love my Suburbans, but my bones are getting rattled. So I have been secretly looking at Case tractors thinking they might help me stay active and doing my own gardening and yard maintenance.

Go for it and get that tractor!
Thanks ~ I'm just being realistic about my needs and hopefully getting down to earth

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
Shame you aren't closer, Earth. There's a couple 220's I have on the back burner ATM. One is an '84 armstrong lift that runs but the body is a really rough. The other is an '81 that needs paint, an engine, but has hydro lift. My plan was to refurb the '81 and transplant everything needed from the '84 onto it and have a more desireable 220... Then, down the road, fix up the '84 and possibly convert it to hydro lift.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Did anyone on here end up buying it? I emailed the guy, but he never got back to me.
I never did. I kind of forgot about it to be honest.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts