My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was walking my mutt and got to talking to a guy that lives ( and has for years) three houses up from me and we have said "Hi" before in passing but the conversation got to Gravely's somehow ( go figure) and turns out he had one but he loaned it to a buddy and this buddy moved away and took his Gravely with him.
To make a long story short he has a 4 tier tiller, a single blade one like I have and a 30" deck and a sulky.
This will all be mine soon but heres what I carried home a hr. ago.

It has no 'tars' but rims are good.
I cant wait to sweeten this up.
He actually said it came from an original member of the Gravely family, name was something strange like Baber or Babing or something crazy.
Who knows.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,904 Posts
Funny how it took years for you, and your neighbor to realize you both had something in common. I'll bet he'd like to see your tractor when it's finished.
The sulky looks to be in real good condition. Pretty neat that it was owned by a Gravely family member too.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny how it took years for you, and your neighbor to realize you both had something in common. I'll bet he'd like to see your tractor when it's finished.
The sulky looks to be in real good condition. Pretty neat that it was owned by a Gravely family member to

Heck yea, and the guy is three houses up from me! He said its been in his garage for 20 yrs. and if you saw where it was its not hard to believe. At least it was out of the weather, Next thing Im wanting to get is his mower deck. Mines kinda rough but more than that it looks like the side-blocks that hold the skids could break-off with much use at all because they have been sloppy-like welded on.
His was up-side down but I could see the blocks or 'sides' were sturdy compared to mine.
Anyone know what tires go on those wheels on that sulky?
Thanks for the reply

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the factory was down in your neck of the woods so I believe it! Looks like the sulky my grandfather had for his machine!
Im starting to come across ppl who has them almost daily anymore.
But like you said this is 25 miles from the factory and there was a dealership a half a mile from here as it says on a recent post "this was in our paper today".
I remember that Gravely place ( as we called it) very well because I used my bosses every weekend and he would send me there all the time.
As a matter of fact I was mowing his yard with it and looked at him and smiled because he would always watch me mow around this ditch beside of rt.2 and he dies that night and I never saw him alive again.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was supposed to snow and rain and everything else today as per weather ppl last night so I stayed up till 7 A.M. cleaning guns like I do and check them out for storage and put em back in safe or basically a big lock-box, anyhow I didnt get up till about 1 P.M. ( I guess thats right) and the sun was shining and 50 degrees. They dont know what the heck they are talking about.
So I went outside and tried to get the sulky ready for storage till spring when I can paint and wont be wasting my time.
So I took seat off and put in in a locking cabinet, it had that square nut on it with a square stopper made into it because its got a square hole in the seat I guess so the smooth bolt head can be as comfortable as possible to the operator and you dont have to hold it w/another wrench.
I then sprayed it all down w/P.B. Blaster and got rims off concrete onto some plywood and stuck it up under my work bench. Cant cover anything cause my dog will pull it off and in doing so who knows what else will come along with her and the cover.
Heres the usual pix.

P.S. Anyone ever see these weird gadgets/tools/devises? I bought them from a place that had been here in town for 65 yrs. or so. I think I paid $1 apiece for them and they have either a $5 price sticker on them or a $10 one of the two.
One of them says "thread repair" and the other says something about 'spark plug saver' ( incase you cant see it on them, I havent clicked over to see the pics yet) but the thread fixer or whatever has a bunch of small short spring looking things in it that might supposed to be to serve as threads who knows? I know they are old as heck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Heli-coils.
Ooook lol...

I looked on the back and saw some instructions as one is like a tap & die set for one size I guess unless the little springs have sumtin to do with a change in sizes.
But the instructions on the 'fix a thread' dont say anything about the spring looking things or 'fillers'. And the 'plug saver' seems complicated as heck.
Just thought I'd show them to anyone thats interested.

I guess I'll just start taking pics sideways.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Heli-coils are basically specially-machined springs for repairing threads.

If you've got a munged-up thread, you can drill it out, re-tap it over-diameter keeping the same pitch, then spin in a heli-coil thread insert to get it back down to the original thread.

A heli-coil repaired thread isn't as sturdy as the original material, but they work pretty well. It's often a good solution when the alternative would be to scrap a part.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Heli-coils are basically specially-machined springs for repairing threads.

Oh Ok, The spring-like things are the heli-coils, well those make sense but that plug-saver looks like it would take a engineer to make it work.
But once you tap some new threads on a hole isnt that enuf to put a new screw in? Or is the repair tool/s for when things dont go so perfect as they seldom do.
I visited GT Parts and saw bearing sets for sulkys, assuming the ones on it have some broken 'sticks' I'll call them and I cant repack them guess I gotta take the rims off wich I'll have to do anyway to sand and paint ( the finish is rough on them) and see what kind I have. I guess there is 2 on each wheel wich seems strange to me because they are in packs of 4.
I wanna find a blow-up picture of it and am looking.

All I can find so far are the steering kind.

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
When the threads are stripped, you use these kits.

First you drill it out, then use the included tapping tool to make new threads in the that hole.

At this point, If you tried putting the the original bolt in, it would just go straight in, as you drilled the hole larger than the bolt is. And (in general, there may be the odd case where it happens to work), if you had a slightly larger bolt, it also won't thread in, because the threads per it (TPI) of the tap used in this kit is the TPI of the original bolt, not for the next size up.

So, the final step is to screw in the actual helicoil. Once it's in there, the original bolt with then screw into the helicoil and bob's your uncle.

And it's my understanding that they can actually be stronger than the original threads in softer materials like Aluminum, and the helicoil is steel (which is strong than aluminum), and the extra surface area in the Aluminum that the helicoil screws into (as you've drilled it out and made new threads that extra bit further out) is also stronger.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
And it's my understanding that they can actually be stronger than the original threads in softer materials like Aluminum,
Yeah. I've seen some original-manufacture stuff with thread inserts, often in aluminum as you say, but in other situations as well. I'm fairly sure they're not just tapped oversize and threaded in as with a heli-coil insert, but rather have some more sophisticated technique, but I don't really know.

It turns out there are specialty inserts as well. They make a variety with a sort of crimp at three places around the circumference of the insert. You can run a bolt past it, but it takes effort. That's how you make a shake-proof thread in an otherwise solid part :thThumbsU

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'd have to say too that a Helicoil is better than original, aluminum or steel.
Did anyone ever try to get one out ???? It's tough. (if they were put in right to start with).

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Huh. Well, maybe I've been installing them wrong.

My gut experience is that a helicoil in steel or cast iron won't take as much torque as a properly cut thread. But I don't have any hard data to back that up.

Perhaps when I get back to doing stuff in my shop I'll try the experiment and see what torque settings I can get with and without the heli-coil.

Agreed on aluminum.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Huh. Well, maybe I've been installing them wrong.

My gut experience is that a helicoil in steel or cast iron won't take as much torque as a properly cut thread. But I don't have any hard data to back that up.

Perhaps when I get back to doing stuff in my shop I'll try the experiment and see what torque settings I can get with and without the heli-coil.

Agreed on aluminum.
Aluminum has its uses...and I think they are very few. Nice for airplane skin and other stuff but they try to push the stuff to far IMHO.
I wish they would keep it off of electrical connections.

Mr. jrd, could you steer me toward a blow-up parts list like in the manuals of sulky's?
All I can find are the ones with steering on them.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Did you look on gravelymanuals.com? In the "miscellaneous attachments" section?

There's not a lot of detail there, but since the sulky has only two moving parts, I suppose that's understandable :) There is an exploded drawing with descriptions.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you look on gravelymanuals.com? In the "miscellaneous attachments" section?

There's not a lot of detail there, but since the sulky has only two moving parts, I suppose that's understandable :) There is an exploded drawing with descriptions.
I
'll have to check that out again because I went there and scrolled down in alphabetical order and it mentioned a few of them but they seemed to say " steering" on them so I didnt click over but now I will.
BTW, I wouldnt even ask such a fool question unless I went to the sticky section first but I just didnt follow thru w/it lol.
If I haven't learned at least that much by now I would be more of a lost cause than most think I am already lol!
Thanks for all your'e help.
I need to stay off here for awhile anyway unless I get some more stuff, like I was telling Greg in W.Va. last night when there is a page of post and my name is the last commenter on 75% of them ppl must be tired of messin with ya.
Other ppl I know dont even know what a Gravely is much less talk about them. Their cell phones are the most important thing in their lives lol. But they are young and all my buddies have left this world.

Oh crap almost forgot w/all the babbling. I was just wanting to see the bearings and axel on it because the bearings are sold in 4's. One inside and one outside I guess, and how many diff kinds are they? How many diff types of sulkys are they is what I was wondering more or less. Hate to order wrong bearings if I do get some. Hopefully I can re-pack them.
Thanks again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts