My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have done it already, did your alternator setup include a regulator? I am looking for a cheap alternator setup on ebay to put on my SS12 for the winter, when I will be running my winch. Do I need a regulator?

:thanku:

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Get a GM " 1 wire " alt. They excite at about 2500 RPM's but once excited, they keep charging as long as there running. You can wire a 3 wire into a 1 wire ( same thing actually ), and you could go to the parts store and get 1 for a 1975 Chevy ( pick a model )

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Theres a guy on here, I forget his handle, I think hes from PA with an ST suburban that he put a GM alternator on

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Check out some of StLadrill's posts in the JD forum. He added a small alternator to his JD x300 to power the additional lighting for snow removal.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
This is a GM alternator on a 112 JD i used to own. It was the only source of electrical power on the tractor. Worked perfectly the 4 years I owned the tractor and best of all was free. My friend had it sitting in his garage. Roger

Attachments

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I wouldn't use an aftermarket ammeter. If they short out ( common ) the amperage will cause a fire, given there wired to the charge circuit. Use a volt meter instead

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
When you use a GM one wire alternator make sure the ground is a solid connection and check it on a regular basis. The regulator uses the ground wire to check the circuit voltage. If the ground wire connection is bad it can burn up the alternator. I have thought of adding one to my JD 524 walk behind snowblower so I could have lights on it.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Check out suburban12's threads. He has an alternator on his 12 HP sears. He helped me wire up mine on my 16 since I use a winch also. I think my battery is down though cause it still can't keep the battery charged. I used a 3 wire and hooked up a switched positive to excite the alternator to charge. I think suburban12 was able to use existing holes in block to bolt it on, my muffler on my 16 prevented it so I had to cut/weld up new brackets.

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check out suburban12's threads. He has an alternator on his 12 HP sears. He helped me wire up mine on my 16 since I use a winch also. I think my battery is down though cause it still can't keep the battery charged. I used a 3 wire and hooked up a switched positive to excite the alternator to charge. I think suburban12 was able to use existing holes in block to bolt it on, my muffler on my 16 prevented it so I had to cut/weld up new brackets.
Do you mean suburban16? I have seen his thread, in fact it was the one that got me thinking about adding one to mine. Do you have any pictures of your brackets?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anybody tried this on an old Murray 11-36. It has a vertical c/shaft and looks like it could be a challenge.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
I have converted all my GTs to voltmeters from ammeters so it actually tells me what is happening in the charging system. HF sells one for about $10 and I have them in 5 tractors with zero problems in the last 5 years. Roger

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have converted all my GTs to voltmeters from ammeters so it actually tells me what is happening in the charging system. HF sells one for about $10 and I have them in 5 tractors with zero problems in the last 5 years. Roger
Dang, I should have got that instead. Oh well, I'll give the digital one a try anyway. :thanku:

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
No, look up member....."suburban12". He has a cream and white suburban with stripes and a Chevy bowie on the front. He wired it using a distribution block for adding extra electrical attachments. He talked me through my wiring. I would add link but on my phone. I took pics, but on my camera and laptop is down so can't upload.

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 36 Posts