My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An Alternative way to add a second hydraulic circuit

With the addition of a 12 volt double acting selector valve, you can make your single factory hydraulic deck lift do double duty or even triple duty. The main criteria is that the hydraulic systems would NEVER need to be used at the same time.

I bought a 6.6 GPM-12 volt selector valve from Surplus Center for $59.95. The valve has 6 -4 ORB ports, A1,A2 are hydraulic input, B1,B2 are non-energized output and C1,C2 are energized output. So you choose what will be the most used hydraulic system, and connect B1,B2 to that cylinder. Then connect C1,C2 to the other, less used system. The solenoid has a 100% duty cycle.

On my "3185 helper tractor" I'm adding a front hitch, mainly as an implement lift and carrying attachments. I don't use this tractor for mowing anymore but don't want to loose that possibility completely. I also plan on building a belly ripper bar and a belly blade with down pressure capability, so the deck lift cylinder will continue to be used.

The valve will be mounted on the frame on the left side under the fender pan. The hoses that are on the deck lift cylinder are removed and put on ports A1,A2. The ports B1,B2 have hoses that run under the left floor board to the quick connect bracket, so with the hitch installed it will be functional with no power applied to the selector valve. Ports C1,C2 are connected to the deck lift cylinder and activated with a toggle switch mounted on the dash that is connected to an ignition on power source.

If adding a third hydraulic system is of interest you add a second selector valve. Use the outputs C1,C2 of the first valve and connect them to the inputs A1,A2 of the second valve. Then a second switch would be added to the dash. In this application - both switches off would provide hydraulic power to the first valve ports B1,B2. With Switch #1 on it would provide hydraulic power to the second valve B1,B2 ports. With both Switch #1 and Switch #2 on hydraulic power would go through ports C1,C2 of the second valve.

Bill
DSC_2530.JPG

DSC_2531.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
That's a great alternative to adding spools. Especially to those of us who may want to add a 4th valve as it's a royal pain to do so. Keep us updated on the install.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
I titled this post for our 3000s but this would work with ANY tractor that has a hydraulic system. Even if it's red or green.

Bill
Bill, is that valve "open center?" That was a question I had when looking at alternatives to the factory spool valves.

open center.JPG

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't believe so, but it doesn't need to be. This is merely a diverter valve in systems that already work through the factory spool valve. It is just changing where the hydraulic fluid is going after it leaves the spool.

The electrical switch also offers some interesting options in activation methods. A latching push button could be built into the spool lever handle, or a momentary on sliding switch like Hurst Line-lok used.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
I don't believe so, but it doesn't need to be. This is merely a diverter valve in systems that already work through the factory spool valve. It is just changing where the hydraulic fluid is going after it leaves the spool.

The electrical switch also offers some interesting options in activation methods. A latching push button could be built into the spool lever handle, or a momentary on sliding switch like Hurst Line-lok used.

Bill
Makes sense. I guess flow pushes back thru the spool circuit to continue the flow using the spool's open center. Thanks for clarifying. When do you plan on putting one into service?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm putting together all the parts needed, then as soon as spring gets here the 3185 is getting fresh custom paint. I'll install the front hitch and controls then.

I did screw up on the fittings for the selector valve, the ports are too close together for 2 90 degree elbows to thread in side by side. I reordered straight -4 ORB to -6 JICM for the deck lift hoses. 45 degree elbows might go side by side, but they are stupid expensive compared to straight or 90 degree.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
I'm putting together all the parts needed, then as soon as spring gets here the 3185 is getting fresh custom paint. I'll install the front hitch and controls then.

I did screw up on the fittings for the selector valve, the ports are too close together for 2 90 degree elbows to thread in side by side. I reordered straight -4 ORB to -6 JICM for the deck lift hoses. 45 degree elbows might go side by side, but they are stupid expensive compared to straight or 90 degree.

Bill
I think the most expensive part of hydraulics is plumbing them. That was a big part in why I went with factory spools. I had a clearanced aftermarket 4 spool control valve in the cart on Bailey Hydraulics for a long time but figuring the cost of plumbing it into the overall cost put it way over what I wanted to spend.

Can you post a comprehensive parts list for your build on here so we can get a feel for what this costs overall?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do, I ordered extra but will put together what really works. It will be cost effective. I plan on using 1 wire off the shelf hoses. They have the tightest turning diameter and are rated for 3000 psi working and 12,000 psi burst. I will build my own bulkhead fittings, because they are also too expensive for the function they provide.

Bill

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My fittings arrived for the 12 volt selector valve. There are some very good discount places for hydraulic parts, but you really have to pay attention to there shipping prices. Surpluscenter.com is where the valve came from, and they have good prices on off the shelf hoses - but they ship only with FedEx and the minimum shipping is $14.18 so you need to make the order worth the price. The valve was $59.95.

I ordered the majority of the fittings from hydraulicsdirect.com -
90° Elbow, 1/4" ORB Male x 1/4" NPSM Female Swivel - $2.87 each - 2 for B2 and C2
1/4" ORB Male x 1/4" NPSM Female Swivel - $1.44 each - 2 for B1 and C1
Set of 1/4" Hydraulic Quick Disconnects x 1/4" NPTF Female - Steel - $13.35/set - for connection to front hitch
3/8" ORB Male x 1/4" NPTF Female - $1.19 each - for on the deck lift cylinder
This company ships with UPS - shipping was $14.46

I didn't realize that 90 degree elbows wouldn't screw in side by side, so I needed to order 2 - 3/8" JIC Male x #4 SAE/ORB Male for ports A1,A2 on the valve. The problem was the shipping cost was 5 times the price of the two fittings. A little searching netted DiscountHydraulicHose.com - they ship USPS. The fittings were only $1.41 each and shipping was $3.95 for First Class Mail. They showed up in Wisconsin in 2 days. I will add to this post as I order the hoses.

Bill

DSC_2534.JPG

DSC_2535.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts