My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for something to supplement my existing forced air furnace. I've been trying electric space heaters but I'm not happy with them. I've seen a local guy goes to different events to sell corn stoves and I'm interest in a model that they have that fits in a corner. How ever I have some questions.

The unit I looked at I couldn't see how it vented. I'm wondering it it needs a special chimney? If it would fit in the corner and just vent out the side of my house (extrior wall is right there) it would be easy and my favorite choice.

Also I'm curious if these are like wood stoves or fireplaces? My insurer told me they wouldn't even cover me if I installed a fire place or wood stove.

Its going to be about $275-$300 a month to heat my house with propane this winter.

Corn is readily available to me and really cheap to almost free. I was also told that the stove on average would last around 38 hours of heating for 75lbs of corn.

Over all I'm looking for other experiences with corn stoves. Positive/negatives of them

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I would imagine that a corn stove would be vented much the same way as a pellet stove. Do you have a brand name and/or a model number off of the stove to try and get a manual?

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The brand is amazablaze, the model I'm not sure of. It fits into a corner. I plan on contacting the sales rep monday. I just don't trust a sales rep too far for asking what others think of the stoves.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Most can be vented vertical or horizontal. Mine is wood pellet only but it gives you an idea. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417299141.231234.jpg
I use about 3 tons of pellets a year. It runs from five in the morning till 10 at night. Between 10 and five I use my propane furnace.

You can just make out to the right of the stove in back where vents out the wall.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417299301.476822.jpg
You can see the exhaust vent and makeup air duct.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Also I'm curious if these are like wood stoves or fireplaces? My insurer told me they wouldn't even cover me if I installed a fire place or wood stove.
I can't imagine if the Insurance says no to wood/pellet that they would allow a corn stove. Combustion is basically the same as the pellet stoves.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My homeowners insurance company charges us $40 per year for the pellet stove.

Sent from my tractor seat.

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most can be vented vertical or horizontal. Mine is wood pellet only but it gives you an idea. View attachment 1066209
I use about 3 tons of pellets a year. It runs from five in the morning till 10 at night. Between 10 and five I use my propane furnace.

You can just make out to the right of the stove in back where vents out the wall.
View attachment 1066217
You can see the exhaust vent and makeup air duct.
Does the exhaust get hot? Looks close to the electrical.

Is the fresh air intake needed?

How do you time your stove? Does it have a timer in it?

Also after talking to a guy at the bar he says he was planning on his fitting in the corner but it radiates less heat then a free standing one. Also that it was much more expensive. So free standing wouldn't be bad.

Insurance told me no for fire place and no for the wood stove. Pellet and corn stoves were ok, but the lady was not certain on if it was extra cost or not.

Does a person need something to protect walls and floor from the radiant heat or is there not much heat coming off the stoves?

·
Registered
265 Posts
It doesn't get very hot but it is hot. It's 4" b-vent.
If your home is tight you'll need fresh air intake.
I use a setback thermostat.
I think my stove has a minimum 6" setback.

·
aceman
337 Posts
if insurance said no to a wet certified wood store change insurance ,a wood stove that is installed by a certified w e t installer is very safe to used ,the new stove are really safe to used too ,these stove are not your store bough ones dealer only ,the big benefit of wood is you have heat when power is out ,here in new Brunswick with the storm we have you need back up ,should ask insurance if pipes freeze will they pay damage ,we lost power in 98 for 4 weeks all was goo we had heat and generator for the well pump all was good and in that time we had big snow storm and lots of - 25 c weather yes the ice storm of 98 we learn lots about insurance its your home not the insurance that live in it ,as far as pellets and corn see that every on try it and they go back to wood ,and yes e p a wood stove well install are not cheap but they pay for then self fast too at $300 a month most is pay off in 2 years .

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if insurance said no to a wet certified wood store change insurance ,a wood stove that is installed by a certified w e t installer is very safe to used ,the new stove are really safe to used too ,these stove are not your store bough ones dealer only ,the big benefit of wood is you have heat when power is out ,here in new Brunswick with the storm we have you need back up ,should ask insurance if pipes freeze will they pay damage ,we lost power in 98 for 4 weeks all was goo we had heat and generator for the well pump all was good and in that time we had big snow storm and lots of - 25 c weather yes the ice storm of 98 we learn lots about insurance its your home not the insurance that live in it ,as far as pellets and corn see that every on try it and they go back to wood ,and yes e p a wood stove well install are not cheap but they pay for then self fast too at $300 a month most is pay off in 2 years .
In my situation a wood stove would be hard to deal with as it would have to be in the basement and constantly stoking it would be a pain.

If I can get two days off of one fill of the corn vs. Needing to check the wood stove multiple times a day its an easy sell. I live alone, and I work 12 hr days. When I'm home I eat and sleep. Weekends I spend out at the family farm so if I can leave it go for the weekend that Is better yet. That gives me the chance to load up the truck with some buckets of corn for the next week.

We heat with a outside wood boiler on the farm. We add wood about every 8hours on the really cold days. Burn probably 6-8cords a winter. Insurance dictates that the woodpile must be X feet away and they want a barrier between the stove and the wood. We put up with them on that. My 72 yr old grandfather has to carry the wood to the stove when I'm not there. Not so easy when the snow and ice build up.

Storage.. its easier to store enough corn for a week in buckets vs storing a cord of wood. I live on the edge of town, and have .5acre. my yard is a hillside pretty much so not much room to stack wood.

I would consider pellet but that's not as cheap as corn would be for me.

·
Registered
265 Posts

This brings to mind a problem with multi fuel stoves. When the power goes out, the vent fans immediately stops working so smoke in the fire pot WILL find its way into your home. We've had this happen twice. The fire will still be burning when the power goes out. Once we were not home at the time. Imagine our surprise and disappointment when we returned to a house full of smoke. Second time we were home and had the manual generator connected and running in 6 minutes and we still had some smoke enter the house.

Whenever we leave the house during bad weather we turn the stove off. This is also the reason we don't run the stove at night when we're sleeping.

They are great as you don't spend a lot of time cutting, splitting and hauling wood but they are not as simple as a wood stove.

We are looking into connecting a computer battery backup system to power the stove if the power goes out. It won't last long but long enough to evacuate any lingering smoke.

On a normal winter day, 32 degrees, I burn about one bag of pellets. On colder days when we're in the teens or single digits we burn about a bag and a half. I'm able to stack two tons along a wall in the attached garage and a spare ton in the pole barn.

·
aceman
337 Posts
well it not an easy thing I know we all want to reduce our heating bill then I look in to an outside broiler with a bigger storage tank we had a friend that did this his broiler was stoke when he left and when he got back the storage tank help stable the heat over time it work ok for him he too was working 12 shift

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well it not an easy thing I know we all want to reduce our heating bill then I look in to an outside broiler with a bigger storage tank we had a friend that did this his broiler was stoke when he left and when he got back the storage tank help stable the heat over time it work ok for him he too was working 12 shift
The whole reason for going to corn and an indoor is my yard is too small for a boiler. I also don't have room to store wood.

Another thing I need to figure out is how the electrical is going to be done. If I need a separate 30amp breaker or if the 30amp that powers my livingroom/dining room will be enough.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The whole reason for going to corn and an indoor is my yard is too small for a boiler. I also don't have room to store wood.

Another thing I need to figure out is how the electrical is going to be done. If I need a separate 30amp breaker or if the 30amp that powers my livingroom/dining room will be enough.

Mine is running off a 15 amp circuit in my living room.
PS it's 13 degrees here and my whole hose is warm
I also have a small fan located in the upper corner of the hall that blows hot air to where the bedrooms and bathrooms are located. There is about a 3-4 degree difference from one end of the house to the other. I'm around 1400 square feet.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,529 Posts
Bill, I have no experience with corn or pellet stoves but burned wood for many years. (We now live in a milder climate and have propane.)

For your application, it seems to me that you should only choose the corn stove IF you can be satisfied that you can trust it while you are away for long periods. That would mean the power outage problem is solved and that you are not exposed to other malfunctions of the unit that would put your house in jeopardy. I pulled up a site with typical replacement parts listed:
http://www.spartacoop.com/product-category.php?id=114 . Seems like too many vulnerable parts to me!

One thing you might consider is a wall propane unit. They are very efficient and you have the propane already. You might find that it would work in place of your central unit at some times at much less cost. We have one we use for back-up in case of power outage and on milder days. Many people around here (KY) use them in place of their central furnace simply because they run at less cost.

Anyway, whatever you choose, be sure it is safe to leave unattended.

Gerald

1 - 18 of 18 Posts