My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My White 2-60 is leaking transmission oil from one of its 3PTH Rockshaft arms. I will replace the bushings and seals once the weather warms up, but in the mean time I want to keep the transmission topped up. My Service manual tells me to use 20w40 oil as a transmission fluid, which I can't seem to find around Ottawa, but after a google search or two I have found some recommendations to use 15w40 (Shell Rotella T Triple Protection 15W40) and change the oil a bit more often. Any advice from tractor veterans out there?

Thanks in advance,

FB

·
Registered
518 Posts
I can't see why it would hurt anything, especially in winter. 15W40 is just a little thinner viscosity when cold than 20W40. they both have the same viscosity when warmed up.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I can't see why it would hurt anything, especially in winter. 15W40 is just a little thinner viscosity when cold than 20W40. they both have the same viscosity when warmed up.
They both have the same viscosity when warmed up to a certain temperature... @40C one is 15W and one is 20W at 100C one is 40 and the other is 40 - but if you plot viscosity by temperature as a graph the numbers tell you nothing about what happened in between.
That said I agree both are probably OK for the need and in fact 15-40 is usually a heavy duty rated diesel oil viscosity (IE easy to find good inexpensive oils in that weight now) and because of that many people have switched boats, motorcycles etc. from 20-50 to 15-40's and been pleased. what's run in the engine on your tractor? I've found that many old tractors have potential leakage pathways between oil pumps and the engine oil so I will often try to run an oil in the trans that is OK if it gets into the engine sump. Old school would be hydraulic oil + 30 wt - I'd just run 30 in both on many of those these days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They both have the same viscosity when warmed up to a certain temperature... @40C one is 15W and one is 20W at 100C one is 40 and the other is 40 - but if you plot viscosity by temperature as a graph the numbers tell you nothing about what happened in between.
This is a good point. I have often pondered this: How does multi-vis oil change the viscosity function with temperature [vis(T)]. When we are given the end-points only, we don't know. My guess is that it woks like you might expect, a well-behaved monotonically increasing function. (viscosity always increases with temp). It has been around a long time, everybody uses it, dealers spec. it, manufacturers synthesize it. Its gotta be doing its job.

I had an interesting experience a few weeks ago, changing the oil on my JD 2032 on a -10F day. I am running Mobil 1 (synthetic) 5w-30, pretty common around here (I run it in all my rigs). the 2032 needs a long funnel for adding oil. At -10 I expected it to fill slowly, which indeed it did. However, the waves that formed on the oil surface in the funnel as I poured more oil in took 5-10 seconds to dissipate. This stuff was thick!. I think of all the bearing surfaces on a cold start and wonder how many seconds they run dry before oil gets there...

Multi-vis oils work well, plenty of experience to back it up. Still, it is a pretty complex fluid

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone who responded.

WXguy - I have no idea what is in the engine of my 2-60, I only inherited it last summer, the user manual calls for 10W-30. I intend on giving the old girl a full service in the Spring.

I used 15W-40 in the transmission, seems to be holding up, time will tell I guess.

Thanks

FB

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Yeah. I'd use the 15w-40 as well.

I worked in the lubricants industry for years and 20W-40 in large (gallon +) quantities would I think, will be next to impossible to find. 15W-40 is everywhere and would probably work year round.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.